Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Phoole

Fantastic race and organisation. T-shirts are the same cheap material used in the 5 mile and Fingal 10k, but a really nice colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

ecoli wrote: »
    I think the other pacer may have got into some difficulty, matching up names it looks as though his clock his still running

Hopefully he is ok

I saw the 3 pacers finish so it must be a technical problem

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

(sorry to everyone we annoyed with our 'motivational talk' nearing the end! :cool:)

don't apologise, got me over the line for a pb and sub 1:30 :), was on the coat tails of the 1:30 pacers for the whole race, thought I blew it on the hill but heard the shouting from the pacers near the end, seen the clock and went for it. 1:29.20..delighted!!!, 5 min PB, wasn't expecting it.

Great morning, love those events in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

Hey,

That was me without the flag. Apparently it went missing in action last year. Thought about having a sit down on the grass but thought better of it.....!

Very well organised race on a fair course. Well done to all. Most enjoyed.

(sorry to everyone we annoyed with our 'motivational talk' nearing the end! :cool:)

nice to put a face to the name today, cheers for the pacing and wind breaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

nice to put a face to the name today, cheers for the pacing and wind breaking!

Ah here, I am not that fat! :pac:

Great stuff today, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

pistol_75 wrote: »
    I saw the 3 pacers finish so it must be a technical problem

Did all 3 have flags?
    There was definitely 2 x 1:30 flags approaching the gates of farmleigh but then one just mysteriously vanished.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Standard seems to have been pretty poor, especially at the top end of the mens race. Good win for G'OH but seems it was a bit of a time trial and 69:40 ish is not one of the fastest times for such a big race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ooter wrote: »
    Did all 3 have flags?
    There was definitely 2 x 1:30 flags approaching the gates of farmleigh but then one just mysteriously vanished.:confused:

They only ever had 2 flags to start with. Another one must have been taken down by the trees (this is how the 3rd 1:30 flag went lost last year)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

pconn062 wrote: »
    Standard seems to have been pretty poor, especially at the top end of the mens race. Good win for G'OH but seems it was a bit of a time trial and 69:40 ish is not one of the fastest times for such a big race.

Depth of field was very poor alright, womens race won in 82 minutes......A lot of names missing from the results who you'd expect to be there. Maybe they're all heading to Charleville tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 capaleen

Full results are up on the tdl website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I think the other pacer may have got into some difficulty, matching up names it looks as though his clock his still running

Hopefully he is ok

Nah he was fine, finished around the same time as the lads

tunguska wrote: »
    Depth of field was very poor alright, womens race won in 82 minutes......A lot of names missing from the results who you'd expect to be there. Maybe they're all heading to Charleville tomorrow?

Ah that could have something to do with it all right, forgot that was on tomorrow. Disappointing for the organisers all the same I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

guys, are the results online? anyone get a txt with their time?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

No text yet but the results are up on the tracker. Wanted to do it under 2 hours and did it in 1.59.17. Skin of my teeth! Great day, brilliantly organised as usual. My tshirt is def better quality that the plastic-y orange one from fingal 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

My chip time didn't register at the start.
    Anyone know who best to contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Found an iPhone near the papal cross car park after the half marathon. PM me if know anyone who lost phone today in the PP with details of the screen saver pic and will arrange to return. No service showing on phone so can't receive calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hopefully he is ok

Wounded Knee finished his pacing gig bang on time with the other two, and then continued running for another lap where he was helping push the Bumbleance around the course:)

Anybody still on good vibes from breaking 1:30 who ran with the pacers might consider a small donation to this Children's Ambulance service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Good job by the 1:30 pacers - I stayed just in front of them and got in for 1:28:51 for a PB and my first sub-90. Delighted with that!

The Kyber Pass on the first mile was uncomfortably crowded: hopefully in future years it'll be later in the race. Aside from that, the usual excellent organisation for Race Series events: well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Bulmers wrote: »
    don't apologise, got me over the line for a pb and sub 1:30 :), was on the coat tails of the 1:30 pacers for the whole race, thought I blew it on the hill but heard the shouting from the pacers near the end, seen the clock and went for it. 1:29.20..delighted!!!, 5 min PB, wasn't expecting it.

You took the words right out of my mouth! I also stuck with the 1.30 guys, thought I blew it and ended up with a 5 minute PB!

A huge thanks to the pacers, especially the guy who tended to be towards the back of the pack. Your motivation, especially from around 11 miles onwards, was really great. You really bullied me up the hill and on to the finish - I would not have got sub 1.30 without you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Great race. Organisation was superb.

Good run myself, did it as a mp session.

The hill at the end was tough but a good honest course overall.

Anyone else find the roads and paths slippery? Struggled to find traction a few times and wondering whether its my shoes or the recent rain making the roads a bit slippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

pconn062 wrote: »
    Ah that could have something to do with it all right, forgot that was on tomorrow. Disappointing for the organisers all the same I'd say.

I'd say the 700 extra runners in the race this year has made up for any disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Big shout out to Joe Maguire, a 75 year old Donore runner. He stuck with our 1:50 pace group for most of the race but just fell off at the end finishing in 1:51.
    Not bad for a 75 year old man who in his own words is 'just back running a year'. Next year will be a year of further improvements he assures us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

My first half marathon and thrilled with it, was aiming to try do it two hours and came home 1:59:39. I used a pace band to keep tabs on what I was doing time wise plus I kept the 2 hour pacers in sight at all times and managed to pass one of them just coming to the finish. I knew I was close on time so had to give it a good push.
    Thanks to pacers for doing a great job and offering plenty of encouragement to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

menoscemo wrote: »
    Big shout out to Joe Maguire, a 75 year old Donore runner. He stuck with our 1:50 pace group for most of the race but just fell off at the end finishing in 1:51.
    Not bad for a 75 year old man who in his own words is 'just back running a year'. Next year will be a year of further improvements he assures us!!

Brilliant,there's lads I know half his age not clocking that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »

Love that!
    Would he have been a runner in his earlier years?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi guys,
    Did it as a training run for my first DCM, finished just under 2 hrs at 1:57..., really enjoyed this HM, would recommend it to all, lovely course, well organised!! Thanks to all the fellow Boardies for the advice and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Hi guys,
    Did it as a training run for my first DCM, finished just under 2 hrs at 1:57..., really enjoyed this HM, would recommend it to all, lovely course, well organised!! Thanks to all the fellow Boardies for the advice and tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Anyone else find the roads and paths slippery? Struggled to find traction a few times and wondering whether its my shoes or the recent rain making the roads a bit slippy.

It might be your shoes. One would expect the roads to be greasy having been dry for so long, but I didn't have any issues on the roads/paths anyway.

Enjoyed the race, but I misread the map a few weeks ago and thought the route was going up White's Road (when it in fact it goes up Farmleigh). Was dreading the possible loss of pace. As it happened we were well on our way back down Chesterfield when I copped on!

Found KM 2 & 3 very tight down the Furze road, but I've myself to blame for starting slightly too far back. Home in 1:27:05 and happy as it was on target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Thanks Menoscemo for the encouragement, managed to do my first HM in 2.25 was aiming for worse case 3hrs and best case 2.45 so I'm delighted and weird thing is, I feel fine now like I could go running tonight (problem won't though)

Also, I met a Capetonian en route to the race and he told me to just focus on running, to enjoy it and forget the timing so I did, delighted I've achieved a HM when I only started running four months ago. Now, I'm more determined to stick to a training plan next summer :)

Saw Bumbancle during the race, fair play to them, great cause.

QUOTE=menoscemo;92144312]No, don't do that. You will likely get into a much faster rhythm than you need and end up running the first 3/4 miles too fast. You will likely blow your whole race as a result.
    The first few miles will be quite crowded as well so to run faster than those around you, you might have to do some dodging and weaving which will waste even more energy.

I'd advise to take the first few miles easy and don't panic even if they are below your target pace as the field will clear out soon enough. Preserve your energy for the tough miles at the end.[/QUOTE]

Advertisement