Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I got my txt before I got out the gate, first HM 02:04,
    Done great till we went out to conniyigham road then I hit the wall, struggled but didn't stop, hay ho give me something to work on,
    Great race well planned got cut up several times by people with head phones in though, one lad cut across me 3 times in a row, I felt like tripping him,ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Another well run race, I did find it a bit crowded at the start, but that probably helped me keep pace and not go off to fast, so I can't really complain.

I thought the cuts on my toes (from a rugby match last week) had opened up at 6k, but I just kept going and ignored it. Turns out it wasn't a cut, but there was a massive blister on it when I got to the car.

Got home in 1:45, which was more than I deserved for the lack of training I put in. I actually don't mind the last 2k too much, the hills aren't too bad, the route is much less difficult since they took us out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Those hills at the end were a b**ch all right! Found today mentally tough - wasn't really in it and had to work at my pace from mile 2 - pity cos it was absolutly perfect conditions for a race. Felt like I was really struggling from mile 11 but was only 15 sec/mile down on pace so go an 8 sec PB - happy with that but not with the effort it took:o

BIG thanks to all the volunteers there today giving up their Sat morning - as always a fantastically run event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great race. Organisation was superb.

Good run myself, did it as a mp session.

The hill at the end was tough but a good honest course overall.

Anyone else find the roads and paths slippery? Struggled to find traction a few times and wondering whether its my shoes or the recent rain making the roads a bit slippy.

Had the same myself. They were a little greasy in spots from overnight rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Many thanks to the two hours pacers - finally sub 2 hrs!!! U guys are the best!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Supernintento Chalmers

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Wounded Knee finished his pacing gig bang on time with the other two, and then continued running for another lap where he was helping push the Bumbleance around the course:)

Anybody still on good vibes from breaking 1:30 who ran with the pacers might consider a small donation to this Children's Ambulance service :)

Donation sent.
    Thanks a million, delighted with my time, I stuck with the front pacer, huge help, especially in that last mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Dublin Race Series HM 2014 Race Report

Felt fairly good this morning in spite of an injury interrupted training schedule which forced my withdrawal from DCM. Still and all, lined up behind the 1:40 pacers hoping to push on later for a PB (1:37).

Miles 1-4

I stuck to the plan as intended in the early stages, resisting the temptation to hare down the Khyber like a lúdramán, and keeping close to the flags as we climbed towards the azoo and along the dreary North Road section. It wasn't too warm either and the rain stayed away, so yeah, fairly smooth sailing to this point.

Miles 5-7

I wasn't sure if it was true or not, but I imagined myself to be breathing a little harder on the run through Farmleigh. However, there was welcome respite as we exited left down the hill past Mount Sackville, and back into the park where by this time I had edged past the second pacer and caught up to the first. As we moved into the dip approaching the crossroads, I decided it was time to try and get a shove on.

Well, as soon as I tried to pick up the pace, a recurring problem hit me again. My IT band flared up big style, and I felt a little twinge in my hamstring as well. I was so disgusted at a "potential" PB going up in smoke, that I jogged onto the grass, apparently without warning, and tore my bib off in frustration. Realistically, there was no way I could have put half a minute a mile into that group for 6+ miles. For various reasons (some outlined earlier) I wasn't in the shape to do it. I walked along the grass up to the Mountjoy Roundabout, and then stood there for another 10-15 minutes (maybe even longer?) cheering other runners on. And then I decided, rather than wait till I could get the car off Chesterfield and take the drive of doom home from my first ever DNF, I might as well at least try to get to the end. Luckily I hadn't thrown the bib away!

The Rest

The remainder of this felt really strange. I had no idea how long I'd been standing at the roundabout, and had to ask somebody what pace they were on. To be honest, although I was passing people out at a relatively fast rate, my heart just wasn't in it. The only thing that gave me any kind of motivation to HTFU was the possibility that I might just beat 2 hours after all. Which I did, trailing over the line in a chip time of 1:59:11.

I'm trying to look for positives as I type. The pacers did a good job, and they certainly weren't responsible for my downfall. Overall organisation was top class - plenty of water and even jelly babies, and my help desk query was swiftly dealt with, although looking back I wonder why I bothered getting out of bed!

Several hours later, I am not really sure what happens next in terms of my running. I'm planning to run the Clontarf HM at the end of November, with a few shorter races and Parkruns thrown in beforehand, and then put the runners away and enjoy the few weeks coming up to Christmas. But whether all or any of this comes to pass, only time will tell.

WW

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SWL

Dublin Race Series HM 2014 Race Report

Felt fairly good this morning in spite of an injury interrupted training schedule which forced my withdrawal from DCM. Still and all, lined up behind the 1:40 pacers hoping to push on later for a PB (1:37).

Miles 1-4

I stuck to the plan as intended in the early stages, resisting the temptation to hare down the Khyber like a lúdramán, and keeping close to the flags as we climbed towards the azoo and along the dreary North Road section. It wasn't too warm either and the rain stayed away, so yeah, fairly smooth sailing to this point.

Miles 5-7

I wasn't sure if it was true or not, but I imagined myself to be breathing a little harder on the run through Farmleigh. However, there was welcome respite as we exited left down the hill past Mount Sackville, and back into the park where by this time I had edged past the second pacer and caught up to the first. As we moved into the dip approaching the crossroads, I decided it was time to try and get a shove on.

Well, as soon as I tried to pick up the pace, a recurring problem hit me again. My IT band flared up big style, and I felt a little twinge in my hamstring as well. I was so disgusted at a "potential" PB going up in smoke, that I jogged onto the grass, apparently without warning, and tore my bib off in frustration. Realistically, there was no way I could have put half a minute a mile into that group for 6+ miles. For various reasons (some outlined earlier) I wasn't in the shape to do it. I walked along the grass up to the Mountjoy Roundabout, and then stood there for another 10-15 minutes (maybe even longer?) cheering other runners on. And then I decided, rather than wait till I could get the car off Chesterfield and take the drive of doom home from my first ever DNF, I might as well at least try to get to the end. Luckily I hadn't thrown the bib away!

The Rest

The remainder of this felt really strange. I had no idea how long I'd been standing at the roundabout, and had to ask somebody what pace they were on. To be honest, although I was passing people out at a relatively fast rate, my heart just wasn't in it. The only thing that gave me any kind of motivation to HTFU was the possibility that I might just beat 2 hours after all. Which I did, trailing over the line in a chip time of 1:59:11.

I'm trying to look for positives as I type. The pacers did a good job, and they certainly weren't responsible for my downfall. Overall organisation was top class - plenty of water and even jelly babies, and my help desk query was swiftly dealt with, although looking back I wonder why I bothered getting out of bed!

Several hours later, I am not really sure what happens next in terms of my running. I'm planning to run the Clontarf HM at the end of November, with a few shorter races and Parkruns thrown in beforehand, and then put the runners away and enjoy the few weeks coming up to Christmas. But whether all or any of this comes to pass, only time will tell.

WW

Don't be too hard on yourself, I had a my first DNF at last years race, I had hoped for 1.35-1.37 getting slower and slower at mile ten i pulled over and stopped and walked back to the car, so at least you finished, you will never DNF again remember the feeling and the next time it will keep you going, I am not a talented runner but always prided myself on my heart and head to keep things going when the fun hit the fan and I let myself down, so use this disappointment to motivate you for Clontarf and give it a lash. I have discovered that 99% of races I do results disappointment, didn't run as fast as I thought,not improving despite the increase in training etc. but one race always comes when the stars line up for you and that could be Clontarf of the BHAA races, so keep running is all we can do

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Philrunner83

Devastated!!!!! wanted to run under 2 hours and missed out by 10 seconds .. Was ahead of pacers from mile 6 but got caught and passed in last mile the hill made me blow my casket .. Great day enjoyed it but that time has ruined it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

Really enjoyed today. Was heading into this not sure how I'd do due to mixed training over past 2 mths and a minor cold all week. Stuck with the 1:40 pacers for the first 3.5 miles and then decided all wasn't bad and I'd push on for the PB. As expected that turn up the Upper Glen Road was the most challenging part of race - Furze Rd seemed to take forever to come into sight but when it did I was able to pick up the pace again. Home in 1:37:11 for a 30 second PB and a negative split :) Delighted. Thanks to pacers - managed a brief hello with Dom when I was collecting my bag. The pacers brought a friend home also for his first sub 1:40 and I know he sends his thanks also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Another great race from the race series. Perfect weather and it seemed like it was downhill a lot more than uphill. Even the final uphill felt like nothing much(having done Wicklow Adventure Race 2 weeks prior)
    Stuck with the 1'30" pacers for the first half and then pushed on for the second half crossing the line in the 1"27"s. A new PB which I was delighted with.
    My only negative involved a guy trying to push his way through me going down the kyber. Admittedly I was wearing earphones but they weren't on at the time (I use them in the latter stages and turn them off at junctions). He roared from behind that he was coming through but as there was nowhere for me to move to I stayed where I was. With that he pushed me to the side and lectured me. I wasn't goin to get involved in a row but had he placed himself at the appropriate position at the start he wouldn't have had to try pass me.
    Tshirt quality has improved slightly but isn't up to the standard of other years....otherwise a great goodie bag and loads of water stations. Faultless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

Really happy with the run today. I managed to knock 9 minutes off my PB, which was a real surprise, as although I've been running well in training, you never know on the day and I don't find that course easy. My only gripe was the start, that section through the Kyber is too narrow for that volume of people when it's that dense, I don't know how many times I got clipped or clipped someone else, very frustrating! Could they not have another wave if they have that amount of people there at that stage of the race?
    The rest of the course was fine, love the Farmleigh section, but miles 10 through to nearly 12 on the road are a bit boring and seem to go on for ages and mentally you're dreading the last mile with the hill.
    Great organisation, nice atmosphere and although I never got too close to them (apart from at the start line) seeing the 2 hour pacers flags in the distance helped me to pace my own race and hang on in there when it was tough near the end. Now just the DCM to worry about!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭jonseyblub

Went into the race looking to run at marathon pace i.e (approx 8:50 /mile) just for practice. Ended up going like the clappers and finished at 1hr 38. I know i'll never keep to that pace for the marathon so i'll have to use another race before hand to actually practice resisting the urge to run too fast. Really well organised race. Fantastic value for money. Thanks to all the volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Well done AlsoRan, I agree that section outside the park along Conyngham Road is really tough going, any kind of focus I had left out there went totally. Nothing to do with dreading the hill, as I've run it on numerous occasions, I was just bored!! Farmleigh is nice though, especially as we don't normally get to run through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pconn062 wrote: »
    Standard seems to have been pretty poor, especially at the top end of the mens race. Good win for G'OH but seems it was a bit of a time trial and 69:40 ish is not one of the fastest times for such a big race.

Seemed to be a lack of depth alright. I wonder is it a prize-money issue? I have no idea what you get for placing.

It's a good course/race but part of me would love to see the top Irish lads and internationals battle it out.

One such example would be the Cardiff Half Marathon. Last year there were 27 runners under 70mins. No reason at all why Dublin couldn't attract a great field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭nop98

Superb event.

Lack of training due to a nasty bit of illnes during the entire month of August made me abandon any hope of a PB (current a modest 1h52), and just enjoy the day. Since I had clearly gone out too fast in both of my previous HMs (and paid the price, big time!), I decided on a different strategy and started well behind the 2h pacers - no chance of starting too fast. The first couple of kms were incredibly busy - as mentioned above, pity the downhill stretch along the Khyber comes so early. It took me until Castleknock Gate to catch up with the (massive) 2h group. I managed to drift ahead of the group during the second time down Chesterfield and was absolutely loving it. Lost a bit of time on the last 2-3 kms but came home in the big 2h bus (they had caught me again on the Glen Road) at 1h59, pretty much what I had hoped for.

A huge shout of appreciation for the 2h pacers. There was one fella who was very chatty, loads of encouragement and wise words, which was both great for the self-confidence and the motivation (and good fun). When they were about to catch me on the Glen Road, I heard him again saying something like "lads, no heroics required, just keep this pace and you'll be fine!" - that really struck a cord and made me dig in. One of the other pacers acted like a hoover and went back to collect some folks that were about to drop off the pace at the last bit - this allowed one of my buddies to get over the line in sub-2h, which probably wouldn't have happened otherwise.

Great day (and my birthday, as it happens)!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rockstar_91

Really enjoyed the race today. Was taking it easy early on as a warm up for the DCM, with the option to push on a bit towards the end if I felt it (which I did and ran a super 1:48:44, taking 6 minutes off my pb). Fell in with the 1:50 pacers who did a great job motivating and keeping the spirits up. Started right at the back of the second wave (probably not my best idea) and ended up doing some cross country training along Kyber and the paths of Chesterfield to try and find some space to run in. Thought those spots were nasty wee bottlenecks considering the drains and lumps and bumps along the way. Strangely enjoyed the challenge of the last miles uphill and the support into the finish was super.

I guess now its time for some recovery before I hit the roads again during the week for the final month before DCM! :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Smartguy

As I mentioned earlier, a very good race. Previous best for me was 1.40 but having ran 72.30 in the 10 miler I was confident that sub 1.40 was well within reach with 1.38 beng the stretch goal. Similar to the 10 mile race I intended to go off pretty fast and try and hold onbut the crowds in the first mile meant I ran it in 7,30 which was a little slower than I would like.

I picked up the pace after this and I started running a series of 7.15 to 7.20 miles. I knew I was probably overdoing it at this stage and I was running a big risk of blowing up in the later stages. I had the usual moments of self doubt and the gel I took on a mile 5 did not sit well but The pace picked up nicely around mile 6 and I maintained good momentum.

I was definitely feeling the pace around mile 9 , however I dug in and managed to get mile 10 around 72.55 meaning I was well on target. I was at my limit at this stage but knew I had time in the bag. After around mile 11 I pretty much blew up and the pace dropped dramatically. I ran an 8.30 mile and I was being overtaken by plenty at this stage. Mile 12 was no better and My head was a mess. I forgot that I had half my gel still and I began looking around hoping I would not see the 1.40 pacer. The last 200 yards felt better and for the first time in about 20 minutes I overtook someone. I finished in 1.37.10 but was shattered.

Overall I am delighted with time but the memory of the last couple of miles will stay with me for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Thanks very much to the 1.40 pacers. It was great to have a group to run with. Had been wondering if I was in 1.40 shape - turns out I wasn't! Lost the pacers due to some confusion (mine!) at the water v LucoZade stands. Couldn't catch them again, and was really defeated by the last hill (no amount of thinking of how many times I'd done Howth recently made it any easier). Finished just under 1.40.30 and pretty happy with that (for now ...). Thanks to the pacers, cheering crowds and volunteers. And thanks to the race series for having XS t shirts!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭D33

Great race, well organised and marshalled.

PP is a great facility and we're lucky to have it but dare I say can get a bit boring at times?!

Used it as a training run and happy enough wt 1.39 for long run.

Hats off to the Bumblance lads & lassies, a great cause and will def be donating the few bob & would encourage others to do so too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

It's too close to the marathon in my opinion so a lot of the top guys won't race it. Another good win for Gary. Is he the most prolific winner of prizes and races on the circuit ? Just shows that it is possible to race a lot and still stay fresh and eager. But I think he is unique and not many at the top end could cope with what he does and achieves week in week out. He certainly gets a nice bonus cheque most weekends and fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

PVincent wrote: »
    It's too close to the marathon in my opinion so a lot of the top guys won't race it. Another good win for Gary. Is he the most prolific winner of prizes and races on the circuit ? Just shows that it is possible to race a lot and still stay fresh and eager. But I think he is unique and not many at the top end could cope with what he does and achieves week in week out. He certainly gets a nice bonus cheque most weekends and fair play to him.

I wouldn't say its a case of it being too close to the marathon to race. Its not a fast course for those chasing pbs to race. Sean Hehir raced Charleville last year then followed it up with Cardiff half two weeks later before doing Dublin. As for GoH he had nobody to challenge him today nor in Athlone, 3 min gap between him and the 2nd place person in Athlone and 2 mins today. From looking at the photos on race pix he looked very relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭YESROH

Just to say thanks to all the posts on pacing, I completed my first toady and did it just under 2 which was better that expected. I took on the advice ( not sure who ) of keeping your pacers within you sights and with an elastic string and it worked. Hit a the wall with 2 miles to go and lost sight of them but still managed to finish.

Agree with lots that the crowds on the first 2 miles was crazy and the kyber was very crammed. But overall a great day and so glad its over.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

A shiny new PB for me - just outside 1.25. Hadn't planned on gunning on, took it easy from the start, slowly building the pace to finish stronger than I thought I could. I'll give sub 3 hours a lash now at DCM.

Really well organised as ever. I think we tend to take it for granted the amount of work required to have these races run smoothly. Just reading other peoples race reviews there are only very minor quibbles, which says a lot. Well done to the organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Some great photos here from Paddy Parrott:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43453103@N02/sets/72157647412442408/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

D33 wrote: »
    Hats off to the Bumblance lads & lassies, a great cause and will def be donating the few bob & would encourage others to do so too

I was watching the race today and noticed that this vehicle was actually obstructing runners on the route. It should not have been allowed, regardless of the merits of the cause. Does anyone know if they had permission from the organisers?

The marathon website home page has this: "Please note that no buggies are allowed in the Race Series or Marathon." This vehicle was far bigger any buggy. (And there were a few buggies in the race too.)

Not the course for a car push or buggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

The cars parked on the uphill just after we came down the Kyber were a bit of a nuiscance too, it got fairly cramped in that section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Seemed to be a lack of depth alright. I wonder is it a prize-money issue? I have no idea what you get for placing.

It's a good course/race but part of me would love to see the top Irish lads and internationals battle it out.

One such example would be the Cardiff Half Marathon. Last year there were 27 runners under 70mins. No reason at all why Dublin couldn't attract a great field.

Prize money is poor to be honest, although top 20 get cash. First place is 300, 2nd is 200 and 3rd is 150. After that its 50 bills to 20th place.
    Think its a grand for first place in charleville so for lads chasing money its a more attractive option. Although charleville is flat and a faster course so I'd say that more than the money is the reason why the depth of field is far superior to the race series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eoinín wrote: »

great pics! Sadly I now know what I look like while eating a sweet and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

eoinín wrote: »

Thanks for posting the link. You know your target time was too aggressive when all the guys in your photo at 6 miles finished 3 minutes ahead of you!

Plan was to go out at the fast end of a credible range, on the off chance that the day went really well. Couldn't keep it up past about 7 and moved slowly back until the blessed 90 minute pacers passed me at around 12 miles and gave me enough energy to stop the rot, but not to unpass them. Still, taking 10 minutes off last year's time to come in just under 90 feels acceptable, even if it didn't go exactly to plan.

Advertisement