Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Half marathon 20/9/14 *Mod note in 1st post*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I really enjoyed myself yesterday.
    I started half way between the 1:45 and 2 hour pacers.

I really wanted to finish inside 2 hours after doing a 2hr 3 mins in BelfSt the week before.

The congestion was an issue a few times near the start that most people covered already.

The apple and banana after the race really hit the spot for me too.

Oh I finished in 1hr 58 and delighted with that. If in January you had told me I would have done 2 half marathons this year I would have said you were mad as I was struggling to even do 5km back then.

I would say 90% of my achievement is down to boards.ie and all the advise and logs really helped me a lot.

I didn't have a great day in the end. Was happy enough til mile 8 and pain started to get me everywhere. I'm not in good shape this morning!

I came in under my original target time but not my final goal. I had to walk a bit which I'm bitterly disappointed about. Not much mind, but still I wanted to comfortably run it all. There was a point I thought I might not finish at all.

Great race all the same, as all the race series have been. I had complained about the lack of medal so a very nice personalised one was placed around my neck by my friend when I crossed the finish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Some great photos there. I look like an American tourist who's taken a wrong turn out of Farmleeee.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 RunningFree 2014

Had a great day yesterday! Performed pretty much as expected and really enjoyed the experience. In a lot of pain now though!

I really thought it was so well organised and appreciate all of the work of the volunteers. I think my plan now is to keep up the training and try to fit another half in before Christmas. I have absolutely loved doing the four races of the series and am so glad I took the plunge and signed up for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Antwerp

Likewise really enjoyed Dublin Race Series and can't believe I only started running a few months ago and have a Half Marathon done, yippee!!!!

Feeling sad today it's all over and contemplating do even a little run today, think Ill have to sign up to a few more even shorter races between now and Christmas.

Surprise to say it, but I'm in no pain today at all which another bonus.

The MC was great again yesterday as loved when he said that they should change the name as Half Marathon doesn't mean it's Half nothing. There was also an older guy with shades who appeared with his bike cheering people on at random spots, who was very supportive.

Some great camaraderie shown on the race too as I noticed the 'sloggers to joggers' helping each other out especially from mile 11 on as their mantra was they started together so would finish together.

Anyone any recommendations for good Half Marathons on for rest of 2014?
    Also last question what times are required to join a running club as it might help me to stick to a programme better than relying on myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

good race, good result yesterday.

tough finish though

there was a guy in a blue top on top of the last hill in the park about 1/2mile from the finish roaring encouragement like a loonatic...what a legend..he put a smile on my face for the last painful sprint home

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

eoinín wrote: »

Just looking at these, reading up about strides and how running with a good stride can be more efficient:
    This picture sums that up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43453103@N02/15293497121/in/set-72157647412442408

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Antwerp wrote: »

The Clontarf Half is a good one, I have done it a few times very flat. Its on twice a year, July & November.

http://www.runclontarf.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Antwerp wrote: »
    Likewise really enjoyed Dublin Race Series and can't believe I only started running a few months ago and have a Half Marathon done, yippee!!!!

Feeling sad today it's all over and contemplating do even a little rThun today, think Ill have to sign up to a few more even shorter races between now and Christmas.

Surprise to say it, but I'm in no pain today at all which another bonus.

The MC was great again yesterday as loved when he said that they should change the name as Half Marathon doesn't mean it's Half nothing. There was also an older guy with shades who appeared with his bike cheering people on at random spots, who was very supportive.

Some great camaraderie shown on the race too as I noticed the 'sloggers to joggers' helping each other out especially from mile 11 on as their mantra was they started together so would finish together.

Also last question what times are required to join a running club as it might help me to stick to a programme better than relying on myself?

No time required for joining a running club, most clubs will have runners of all levels and will welcome everyone. They'll also let you go to a couple of sessions first to try then out before you join.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Just looking at these, reading up about strides and how running with a good stride can be more efficient:
    This picture sums that up: https://www.flickr.com/photos/43453103@N02/15293497121/in/set-72157647412442408

Suspect looking number a few pages on from that in the middle of the faster guys :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Dub13 wrote: »
    The Clontarf Half is a good one, I have done it a few times very flat. Its on twice a year, July & November.

http://www.runclontarf.com/

Nice, there's another for the list. Sound :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dooleygj

Great day yday! See below:

I have been training for the full marathon over the last few months.

Was pacing myself around 5:10-5:15 per km during training.

Then went to Phoenix and ran a 1:41 (4:48 per km) half marathon, equalling my PB. And I was relatively comfortable throughout. Very confused about what I should do in the full marathon now! Suggestions?

Do I slow to 5 min/km and go from there during the race?

PS It will be my first full marathon. I have a already ran a few halfs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Suspect looking number a few pages on from that in the middle of the faster guys :D

ah you never know, maybe he was just out jogging around with a number on his t-shirt ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭MLC_biker

dooleygj wrote: »
    Great day yday! See below:

I have been training for the full marathon over the last few months.

Was pacing myself around 5:10-5:15 per km during training.

Then went to Phoenix and ran a 1:41 (4:48 per km) half marathon, equalling my PB. And I was relatively comfortable throughout. Very confused about what I should do in the full marathon now! Suggestions?

Do I slow to 5 min/km and go from there during the race?

PS It will be my first full marathon. I have a already ran a few halfs.

I, like you, am doing DCM as first marathon. Read last year's thread, general opinion seems to be enjoy the first one, worry about a PB next time. Good luck, whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 shoottherunner

First dnf ever for me yesterday.

Still trying to figure out went wrong. After a slow start to this year's DCM training programme, i've managed to catch up with last year's which included a 1.29.50 at the half-marathon and a 3.10 DCM.

On the day I set out just behind the pacers and the first km went fine. From about 2km on the only way I can describe is that I felt psychologically and physically weak. I had a strong stitch and pain in my feet (after possibly tying my laces too tight) but i've had both of these before and got through it. I kept telling myself, that like with other races, this phase would pass, but at 12kms it was still there and worse still the 1.30 pacers were slipping away from me and I was out on my own. I knew that this was decision time as I could have pushed on and probably finished with a 1.35 or thereabouts but when i thought about how I felt and what was ahead (the long boring run down Chapelizod and the hills) my whole body was saying stop.

It seemed like the first 5 to 6kms were faster than last year and I probably haven't been doing enough 4min/km running. I tapered this week in the lead up to the race but I did run 96km the week before and i'm wondering if that took it's toll.

Any thoughts/advice on went wrong and how best to bounce back from this would be greatly appreciated.

Like the poster earlier on in the thread, I've prided myself on never stopping no matter how bad I feel, so I found it hard to come to terms with with not going over the finishing line. I was gutted after the race and considering pulling out of DCM2014, but beginning to see it in perspective today and i'm hoping this will be a big motivator in the weeks ahead.

Seemed like a very well organised event as usual otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Rantan wrote: »

tough finish though

there was a guy in a blue top on top of the last hill in the park about 1/2mile from the finish roaring encouragement like a loonatic...what a legend..he put a smile on my face for the last painful sprint home

He was brilliant, was shouting "Come on the 1:50s" as we came past. He got a big wave&smile in return from me. I would guess he's a runner himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

First dnf ever for me yesterday.

Still trying to figure out went wrong. After a slow start to this year's DCM training programme, i've managed to catch up with last year's which included a 1.29.50 at the half-marathon and a 3.10 DCM.

On the day I set out just behind the pacers and the first km went fine. From about 2km on the only way I can describe is that I felt psychologically and physically weak. I had a strong stitch and pain in my feet (after possibly tying my laces too tight) but i've had both of these before and got through it. I kept telling myself, that like with other races, this phase would pass, but at 12kms it was still there and worse still the 1.30 pacers were slipping away from me and I was out on my own. I knew that this was decision time as I could have pushed on and probably finished with a 1.35 or thereabouts but when i thought about how I felt and what was ahead (the long boring run down Chapelizod and the hills) my whole body was saying stop.

It seemed like the first 5 to 6kms were faster than last year and I probably haven't been doing enough 4min/km running. I tapered this week in the lead up to the race but I did run 96km the week before and i'm wondering if that took it's toll.

Any thoughts/advice on went wrong and how best to bounce back from this would be greatly appreciated.

Like the poster earlier on in the thread, I've prided myself on never stopping no matter how bad I feel, so I found it hard to come to terms with with not going over the finishing line. I was gutted after the race and considering pulling out of DCM2014, but beginning to see it in perspective today and i'm hoping this will be a big motivator in the weeks ahead.

Seemed like a very well organised event as usual otherwise.
    It looks to me like you went off too fast. You based your expectations on last years fitness and you are probably a little behind that now. Had you started at 4:03 -4:05 pace you would likely have come tru with a positive result. No harm done you still have 5 weeks untill your main target, just go easy next few days in case you have some sort of bug. As regards never dropping out and pride etc everyone has their limits and if they exceed that limit it usually ends badly no matter how tough they are or think they are. Keep your head up and use your resilience to turn things around in 5 weeks time. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

Rantan wrote: »

tough finish though

Yeah fair play to him,he certainly got me up the hill a bit quicker.
    Planned on using yesterday as a MP run and stayed rigidly with the 1:30 pacers right up to 7.5 miles but felt so strong it would've been rude not to go for a PB.
    Absolutely motored down chesterfield ave,dug deep on conyngham road and felt a lot stronger up the hill compared to last year,the last half mile was tough but once I hit the home straight and realised a PB was on the cards I found a kick from somewhere and nailed a new PB by 11 secs.:)
    Absolutely delighted,my only regret now is that I didn't drop the hammer when we came out of farmleigh, I might've joined the 1:25 club.ah well,there's always next year for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Got about 6 miles done this morning...from my house to the 12th Lock and from there along the Canal to Ashtown and back. It went better than expected, delighted I got back out sooner rather than later :-)

• Advertisement

I did 5km and moaned about it the whole time.

I'm a bit lost now. My training plan just kind of stopped yesterday! Keep going with slow long runs for the next while I guess, and see where they take me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Sammo13

Great day yesterday, finished in 1.43.50 and was delighted with same. Not doing the DCM this year, but boy you really want to after yesterdays run. Best of luck to all doing it, my recovery today was ref'in my kids soccer match, couldn't keep up with play..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

I'm a bit lost now. My training plan just kind of stopped yesterday! Keep going with slow long runs for the next while I guess, and see where they take me :)

maybe target an upcoming half in the not too distant future to keep your interest ticking over - Clontarf in November, Clonaklilty in December. Or for something different the Run The Line mountain race in November.

eoinín wrote: »
    maybe target an upcoming half in the not too distant future to keep your interest ticking over - Clontarf in November, Clonaklilty in December. Or for something different the Run The Line mountain race in November.

I need to get some mountain running over the next 11 months anyway so I'll definitely check that last one out. Thanks :)

I'm thinking another half, then a full in the earlier half of next year.

Dub13 wrote: »

Cheers, for that just signed for a short fun run 5km next wkd then I'm seriously contemplating Clontarf

RayCun wrote: »
    No time required for joining a running club, most clubs will have runners of all levels and will welcome everyone. They'll also let you go to a couple of sessions first to try then out before you join.

That's great to hear, thanks must look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I need to get some mountain running over the next 11 months anyway so I'll definitely check that last one out. Thanks :)

I'm thinking another half, then a full in the earlier half of next year.

Or if you are near any of the parkruns, you could do them on alternate Saturdays. I did some of them last summer as tempo runs and found them great for maintaining speed and fitness when I wasn't training for a particular goal race.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Would it be wise to enter the Clontarf half in November after doing your first Marathon in October?
    I'm worried about coming to a stop after the marathon and falling back into being lazy and not training!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Casey78 wrote: »
    Would it be wise to enter the Clontarf half in November after doing your first Marathon in October?
    I'm worried about coming to a stop after the marathon and falling back into being lazy and not training!

There is also Waterford in December if you are thinking it's too soon after the half yesterday. However if you are looking for a race to give you motivation to get out and train why not, or else enter some 5/10ks shorter distance races and set yourself a goal time. Half marathons are tough but if you like longer distance go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

groovyg wrote: »
    There is also Waterford in December if you are thinking it's too soon after the half yesterday. However if you are looking for a race to give you motivation to get out and train why not, or else enter some 5/10ks shorter distance races and set yourself a goal time. Half marathons are tough but if you like longer distance go for it.

I'm doing my first Marathon in October, I mean is it to soon after that to be doing Clontarf?
    I've been doing a 18week program which will be over after Dublin in October.
    Just would like to do something before end of year to keep me from getting lazy again!

Advertisement