Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lighting in a sunroom with vaulted ceiling

Options
  • 08-09-2014 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

any ideas on how to light a room with a high vaulted ceiling? we were going to put in recessed lighting but i was told at weekend in a lighting shop that it would be pretty pointless and would just light up the ceiling rather than the room itself. were definately putting in a pendant in the center for a decorative light feature hanging down but thats probably not enough on its own.
    were calling it the sunroom as its an extension of the kitchen/dining and has many windows including a large sliding door 3.6m width and a large triangluar window at the gable end which goes right up to the apex of the roof. were looking into wall lights also but we dont actually have that much wall space with all the glass. the only decent wall in the room is the chimney breast

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

I would disagree with the advice you got from the lighting shop and go with recess lights, I wouldn't go with the centre light if going with recess lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

If you are thinking of recessed fittings you might need a few if you were planning on using LEDs. So try to avoid open back fittings as I'd image the energy loss would be high if you have that ceiling detail

Fittings with a superior energy performance will cost you more

I keep going back to Aurora fittings these days, but its something for you to look at anyway

http://gb.auroralighting.com/Products/Indoor-Luminaires/Downlighting/Standard-GU10-Downlights/240V-GU10-Aluminium-Adjustable-Recessed-Baffle-Dow.aspx

with something with an adjustable head you could counter the issue with fixed fittings.

Another option is catenary lighting or track lighting suspended. These take a little dusting, but it will reduce penetrations in your ceiling

The Aurora ic fittings would be ideal here as they being draught proof also.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Stoner wrote: »
    Another option is catenary lighting or track lighting suspended. These take a little dusting, but it will reduce penetrations in your ceiling

Yes, I would prefer the catenary lighting as this brings the light fitting closer to the surface that you actually want the light on. Once of the nice things about this is that this type of lighting system can be used to uplight the ceiling (assuming it is painted white).
    In addition concealed strip LED lighting around the edges can contribute to the reflected lighting effect.

My own feeling is that apart from the hight issue is that rows of downlighters to me give a room look very dated "nineties look".
    Unless this is what does it for you.

For me down lighters are great for certain applications, but too many people over do it. Large rooms are then lit like runways :)

Sometimes a few simple pendants can be best, but it is essential that they are positioned correctly.

There are a few good suggestions here.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    In addition concealed strip LED lighting around the edges can contribute to the reflected lighting effect.

How do these work? i.e where can one conceal the lighting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Consider a cealing fan type light. Good for cooling in the summer and circulating the heat that has risen to the roof back down in the winter.

Also fan assisted "Solo" radiators are great for heating high roof rooms, they help offset all the heat riseing to the roof and staying there, giving you cold ankles.

Just a thought.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

How do these work? i.e where can one conceal the lighting?

Here is one way of concealing LED lighting:

hqdefault.jpg

The cornice shown in the photo above is far wider than it needs to be to conceal the LEDs.

As can be seen here uplighting a ceiling can give a very dramatic effect:

lighting-20.jpg

...and thanks to colour filtration the colour can be changed at the flick of a switch :D:D

@ fifib, would be interested to know how you got on in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

hi guys, thanks for all your replys and suggestions. so in the end we have gone for the recessed downlighters. they will be the directional ones so they will point downwards to the ground. other wise they would be shining in your face. we two wayed them so there are 6 on each side of the vaulted ceiling - 2 rows of three and the two bottom rows on either side come on together and then another switch for the top row on both sides...if this makes sense.
    we've also put in a center pendant as i had it in my head all along to have a decorative light drop down in the center..even if we never turn it on!! it will still look pretty haha willpost pics again when were a bit further along!

• Advertisement

Very good, sounds great!
    Post a picture when your done.

Advertisement