Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting out a house in Drumcondra

Options
  • 08-09-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me some advise/guidance. I have a house that was once our home in really nice estate in Drumcondra. Our tenants moved out 3 weeks ago so I gave it to an estate agents to rent out on our behalf as I was away for a few weeks.
    Problem is, its 5 weeks since its been available and is still vacant. We only want to rent to a family as its a family estate and its in great condition.
    I was under the impresson there was a housing shortage...anyone shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it. Oh ya, by the way, the rent being asked for is a tad below the market rate so as to get the most suitable tenants possible.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

throw the net open to professionals. you should have no issue renting it then.

renting homes to only families without accepting RA can be hit and miss as you then have to consider off street parking, school cachement areas etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deejaybee

Thanks for the reply Eric.
    Ya, I know what you mean but we have been badly burned with sharers before and have had the most success and respect for the house from families. I know not all sharers are gonna wreck the house but this is a fairly quiet family estate and, as we used to live there, we do know all the neighbours...any kind of hassle just wont work!!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

Are you considering young couples? If I saw an add for families and I didn;t have children I would assume they didn;t want me. I would open it up to professionals, you could get people a bit older (30s) and you would be making yourself available to couples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I rent in Drumcondra but the current market rates is any where between 900 and 1600+ for a three bed house. Here was a four bed place looking for 1600 down the road that had a small kitchen and sitting room. It was there for two month and I have no idea what it went for in the end. Look at other properties near by and see if they are more disirable.

Have looked at the other houses to rent in the area and none seem to stack up to what we have. Not blowing my own trumpet but it is very nice. Price is below the average but most houses seem to go to sharers....are there any families even out there??? Thinking of really dropping price just to get better footfall and a tenant in there quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭superman28

Is the estate agent holding open viewings for the property? Where is the link to the add on Daft and Myhome? Sounds strange to me,, my parents rent a house out in Drumcondra to a family and their are queues out the door to get it..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

If it's the one I'm looking at, I'd really say it's the "***Suited Only to A Family***" bit that is restricting it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Reality is families are more likely to cause damage to a rental. When I was last looking for a property, any of the places previously rented to family had to be completely repainted because of markers, crayons etc on the walls.

If you have not been caught yet op, you have been lucky. You would do well extending to professionals.

I guess its less of the risk of damage to the property and more that the area is very family oriented and settled. Music, parties, comings and goings etc. (the kind of things I did when I was house sharing many moons ago) wouldnt not go down well there. Not saying that all sharers are like that but need to get a fit for the area as well as the house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Estate agents are fairly useless for renting properties. Most people cant view a house between 9am to 5pm. Where as a LL letting it himself is far more flexible and more likely to get a better rent than an agent. OP if you are so concerned with who could be living in your house, why dont you rent it yourself? You can meet the people who will be living in your house and know they are the right choice. Unlike your estate agent who will probable pick whoever will pay the rent.

OP the problem might be your house. I have seen plenty of people call their house, modern and nice. But in fact its straight out of 1983. You need to see whether or not your house needs modernisation like new wardrobes, kitchen, painting,bathroom etc. Just because your house is the best out of a bad butch, doesnt make it good. Your house is probably quite small. Very few houses built in Glasnevin, Drumcondra in the last 30 years are very rarely decent for a modern family. You go drive 5 mins up to Charlestown and get massive, modern houses for the small rent as Drumcondra.

OP your best option is letting it yourself and to professionals. They are going to be working and dont care about partying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

If it's the one I'm looking at, I'd really say it's the "***Suited Only to A Family***" bit that is restricting it...

This would put me off completely, it is in the first line of the ad and is really off-putting.

OP, myself and my partner are two professionals wouldn't view it with the family only comment. I am sure there are plenty of other couples who would consider a 3 bed house but would be put off by the ad.

I would agree with the other comment about wear and tear, it really depends on the people. If that is your primary concern would you not prefer to handle the rental yourself and meet the people?

Advertisement