Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Waterproofs

• 08-09-2014 2:47pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Now that the summer is coming to the end we're going to see less sun and more rain. For most of the year when I commute all I wear is my leather jacket and its only the odd time I get caught in the rain and I think I should buy some sort of rainproof oversuit. Would be handy for have to wear over the leathers.

Has anyone got one or what would you recommend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have Spada rain pants with a light fleecy layer on the inside. They're 100% waterproof and the fleecy layer is great for this time of year when it's warmish during the day but a little chill is starting to creep in. I've been caught a few times coming back from the beach late at night and I just throw them on and I'm grand and cosy.

They were €35 in the local shop but I've seen them online for less.

I'm planning on investing a good few bob on proper decent textiles this year, I have my eye on some Held gear. I've replaced my textiles every year for the past 3 years (Oxford, RST and Richa) because they've started letting in the rain after 3-4 months of winter soakings so I'm hoping if I spend a bit extra I might get more than a few months out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Richa Warrior 2 piece is the only thing for the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

goodlad wrote: »

+1,they have never let me down, top quality stuff. You should be able to pick it up on ebay fairly cheap as well. You have to wear your leathers/textile witout the thermal stuff as it's extremely warm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

My jacket is waterproof but my pants aren't, and over the years I've found the best rain proofs to be Penny's or Dunnes bottoms for a tenner (real story).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Totally agree. Brought the two piece with me on my tour this summer.
    Went from Dijon in France to Bruges in Belgum in a single day and it rained heavily the whole way. I got to my destination bone dry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

+1 - great suit, but I use the http://www.cottermc.com/rainwear/richa-full-fluo-rain-jacket-fluo jacket now. Rolls up v small and a great option on those crappy dark wet nights when the rain is coming sideways on the M50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Richa is great stuff for the price....Cotters have a great Richa jacket for about €35 and is fully lined and with a spring waist, and fancy cord collar.

What size are you Zascar, I have spare Richar Rain Warrior Jacket here, I think its a medium(will have to check). You are welcome to it, just fill up the tank on the bird and call it even!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sounds lads thanks! Yes the Warriors look like just the job. Blu I'm probably a small but I'll gladly swap you for a tank full!

I think Jvan had a cool little pouch at on the passenger seat that he keeps his in , might get one of those look well handy. Could be good for holding a little of milk on the way home from work also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

How tight is your jacket on you? I find putting wet gear over the leathers is an absolute pain. I bought an O'Neils windbreaker with no zip on it for €20 online that I can fit under my jacket, keeps me warm from the wind that whistles through the zip on my jacket and keeps me dry if any water does seep through the leathers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,614 ✭✭✭prunudo

I was up in Hein Gerricke Belfast before it went tits up last year and I got a rain suit, but unlike the lads I went for a one peice. Used it this year on a tour around Ireland and it was great. Much prefer wearing it over the leathers compared to the goretex suit I have.
    And like zascar says, if the weather is looking iffy I have Kreiga us10 that I strap to the pillion seat, plenty of room for the rain suit and a few other bits.

I find that if you are putting it on over leathers you have to get 2 sizes up. Have always done this with any wet suit.....the leather grips it when putting on and off especially if not lined and it rips within weeks. So if you are large normally get a 2XL and you sorted, stops it clinging when riding around too. Only downside is when you are "REALLY" moving it can flap in the wind.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I find that if you are putting it on over leathers you have to get 2 sizes up. Have always done this with any wet suit.....the leather grips it when putting on and off especially if not lined and it rips within weeks. So if you are large normally get a 2XL and you sorted, stops it clinging when riding around too. Only downside is when you are "REALLY" moving it can flap in the wind.

The warrior gear is already sized so that it will fit over gear so just get your normal size.

I have a Richa Rain Jacktet (not sure if its warrior) and its not sized to fit over my leathers. Its actually quite tailored....just something to be aware of thats all.

The warrior gear is already sized so that it will fit over gear so just get your normal size.
    This is true for leathers, but textiles , especially the bulky ones can be a bit tight!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bought a full set of RST Slice textiles just after buying my leathers. I have worn them I think twice haha. Leathers are so much nice - jacket for sure. If I get a decent rain suit I may never use my textiles again!

Zascar wrote: »
    I bought a full set of RST Slice textiles just after buying my leathers. I have worn them I think twice haha. Leathers are so much nice - jacket for sure. If I get a decent rain suit I may never use my textiles again!

I would be off the same opinion TBH, leathers all year round and throw a rain jacket on. The loss of movement and bulk from textiles is not worth it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Interesting reading this thread, I would have thought most of ye would be wearing textiles due to our weather. I went with the textiles when I first got the bike about 18 months ago, the pants started to let in water after not too long but I've made do. Looking to replace the gear now after coming off recently and was thinking of leathers. Didn't consider that you could put rain gear over them.

M450 wrote: »
    Interesting reading this thread, I would have thought most of ye would be wearing textiles due to our weather. I went with the textiles when I first got the bike about 18 months ago, the pants started to let in water after not too long but I've made do. Looking to replace the gear now after coming off recently and was thinking of leathers. Didn't consider that you could put rain gear over them.

Unless you spend a lot of money leathers are like wearing sponges after a while :)

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I have a 80km commute everyday on the bike and I always wear the leathers all year round. The main reason is for the extra protection they offer but all around I think they are a better option. Just tore the rain gear over on the cold mornings and your toasty.

The only down side to them is having to get dressed in work when u get in! But I really don't care I am so used to it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Zascar wrote: »

How much water gets through your leathers?If I take the M50 even in torrential rain, I only get wet at my elbows, which can spread down my arm over time. Hence the cheap windbreaker underneath and I'm bone dry.

If I go through town my leathers don't really leak at all.

My jacket has protruding shoulder pads which makes putting on an over suit take a couple of minutes and then I never find them to be comfortable at the cuffs or the end of the legs.

Lads the lidl/Aldi cans of water repellent are very good. €2.50 a can I use them and find them brilliant, they really do add an extra barrier I even spray them on my goretex stuff to top it up. Excellent for the stretchy parts on the leathers that can leak 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I hate the cold. In winter even with thermal stuff on under leathers I get freezing. Deffo gotta use my textiles in winter with thermals on and the warm layers zipped into the textiles and even a jumper on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I always wear my textiles once it starts to get properly cold, usually around mid to end of October.

I hate the cold. In winter even with thermal stuff on under leathers I get freezing. Deffo gotta use my textiles in winter with thermals on and the warm layers zipped into the textiles and even a jumper on too.

Gary if you that cold in winter and everyone is different get the KEIS Heated vest, you have the power option on the bike to hook it up and it can also run on batteries when off the bike.

Its a well known fact that once the mid torso is warm the rest of the body will be warmer as the blood flow is better. Well worth the investment IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

This weeks MCN mag has a review on waterproof jackets

1. Rev'it Cyclone H20 £39.99
    2. Weise Hi-Vis Rain £44.99
    3. Held Mistral II £44.99
    4. Richa Rain Warrior £34.99
    5. Spidi Cadillac £99.99

Going from the reviews I would opt for the Rev'it Cyclone H20 as its Fully waterproofed, Made from a breathable material & has a non stick coating on the inside to allow easy fitting over leathers and textiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

This weeks MCN mag has a review on waterproof jackets

1. Rev'it Cyclone H20 £39.99
    2. Weise Hi-Vis Rain £44.99
    3. Held Mistral II £44.99
    4. Richa Rain Warrior £34.99
    5. Spidi Cadillac £99.99

Going from the reviews I would opt for the Rev'it Cyclone H20 as its Fully waterproofed, Made from a breathable material & has a non stick coating on the inside to allow easy fitting over leathers and textiles.

Is it on their site? I wouldn't mine a read of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

pillphil wrote: »
    Is it on their site? I wouldn't mine a read of that.

I would imagine you would need a subscription which I dont have. I just buy the mag. September 10th issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭pillphil

Did they mention any issues with the Richa Rain Warrior? Top and bottoms for €61 is pretty good.

Anyone use over gloves? Any issues with grip? I wouldn't mind not having my gloves smell like damp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bought the rain warrior gear about a month and a half ago, and has it rained since? Has it fúck, just sayin :)

Advertisement