Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounts in UK & Ireland - Legit?

Options
  • 08-09-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could help me, I was a UK resident for most of my life and had a Barclays bank account, upon moving to Ireland they said I was "no longer entitled" to my UK account and were to close (Which they never did).

Now that I am due to move back to the UK I wondered.

I bank here with Ulster Bank, and would like to continue having an account here, it is likely I will visit frequently, 2 - 3 times a month so it is better to have a local account.

This then brings me on to the questions about legality / ability to have dual accounts both sides.

Does any one have experience of this and know where I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have accounts on both sides, so does my OH and some members of my family.

I work in NI and live in Ireland, so my wages go into my NI account. Don't see an issue with it.

Having said that, if adhering to the law strictly, everyone who is resident in Ireland and who works in the UK should be making a tax return afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Perfectly legal to have accounts in both jurisdictions.

The only hindrance you'll find are uninformed staff membera such Barclays staff member you dealt with.

Advertisement