Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beast of the East 2014

Options
  • 08-09-2014 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Bike course: I 'fraid.:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'm looking forward to it, plenty of climbing, should make it an interesting course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Yep, second that. A refreshing change to the normal flat high speed aero courses. The run course sounds like it has a good few up & downs and a 'technical' section near the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

How do you think it will compare to last year's course based out of Lough Dan? That was plenty tough for a wuss like me.

No experience of last year's course but any route that climbs the Shay Elliot from that side is going to well and truly test the climbing legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

Last year, from what I remember there were only 2 real climbs. The first out of Lough Dan and then the very last climb up from Laragh (both were steep but not that long). Not 100% familiar with the climbs this time around but they seem to be longer, first climb nearly starts straight away and you are climbing until 13km, bit of a descent and then back climbing to 23km in. Not going to be a fast cycle but should be good, different to any other race I've done anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

I've done a couple of reccies on this. The first before the full details were released so I didnt head up the Shay Elliot. I didnt do BoE previously so I dont know how it compares.
    From Laragh to the bottom of Glenmacnass waterfall is not too bad except, and this happened alot on top towards Sally Gap as well, visually I couldnt see that I was going up but I could feel it in the legs. There is a short sharp climb to above Glenmacnass and then a draggy climb to Sally Gap. Being middle aged and very afraid I didnt like the descent and the road is quite rough. After a dark Coillte forest stretch there is a sharp right over a bridge and then a sharp left and immediate climb, got to get your gearing ready. Then a couple of tough but short climbs to above Lough Tay and down again on roughish roads, again I didnt like the descent. From Roundwood to Laragh is generally downhill and with a good surface I was able to get some speed up. It took me just under 2 hours the first time and just over 2 the 2nd time and although I wasnt racing I dont see myself being much quicker on any of it except the (non existent) flat bits - to put that in context I am generally a little worse than MOP for the cycling leg of tris.

The kick in the billix is the last couple of km's on the Shay Elliott climb so when your computer says 45km done, dont relax, the last bit will have you cursing Wicklow tri club. Dunno about the run but it seems they have a sting in the tail of this as well (up the ladder beside the waterfall).

The swim though will be magical!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Done!
    Well done to Wicklow Tri Club; a great event in a truly stunning location.
    This was the slowest Tri I've ever done but probably the one I enjoyed most. Those climbs on the bike were tough but do-able; even if everyone else seemed to be doing it faster than me. Still, gave me a chance to take in the view! Enjoyed giving it socks on the descents too.
    That long drag up to the 5K run mark nearly did me in - had to slow to a crawl a couple of times.
    And then, just as you're ready to cross the line, double back and climb the ladder...there's an evil streak in someone down Wicklow way...

Hope it gets more entrants next year; its a challenging course in an amazing part of Ireland and easily accessible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

Despite the most benign weather possible it was still definitely the toughest bike and run in I have done in a tri (sprint and oly only). It was also the most beautiful. There were 4 or 5 jaw dropping views on both legs with the gorgeous light, mirror calm loughs and the mist - it was a friggin cliche. Swim was easy for anyone used to OW = Sea, the water was 15 degrees and drinkable.
    I dunno if there was drafting but I had a few nice chats with lads between Glenmacnass and the x roads at Sally Gap - is that allowed?
    The run was murder though, starting immediately with a long climb and as cjt156 says the bit around 5km, definitely a case of dont look up. But then you could look down at the views below. And that ladder climb was just sadistic as were the flies.
    Well done to Wicklow tri, smoothly run, even the bikes got back to T1 in good time, excellent, good humoured marshalling.
    I selfishly disagree about it getting bigger, keep it small and out of the NS please!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Red Adair

Many thanks for the positive feedback lads and glad you enjoyed you morning of leisure among the wicklow hills.

Wicklow: no country for old men !!!!!!

red adair.

Great race, a real challenge for a change and a real testing of pacing and endurance. Marshalling was superb and the atmosphere belied its non-NS status in a big way.

Nicest Tri swim I've had all summer too. Congrats once again WTC - your Aquathon series and the Beast were highlights of the summer season on the east coast for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭MaryB30

This race was as tough as test as I have ever completed. It lulled you in with a Beautiful fantastic swim and setting, crisp lake it was surreal with the mist and the cliff/forest to your left. As Im a right side breather I found myself turning to the other side to check the views sometimes.( I know it seems silly but when I was there I might as well) Then off on a picturesque cycle Route the best this side of the Alps.

Just as you were starting to feel good it slapped you down at "Glenmacnass", Ok, Sally Gap, OK, back to the scenery, what another Climb? "Laggala" Ok, nearly there, NOT !!. Then when your GPS says you are back to sanctuary, you arrive at Shay Elliot. 700m ish of murder. The bike actually gave up here luckily it snapped into the easiest gear I had.

I can take all that! but immediately 1.5 k of vertical walking(in my case). At this stage I had lost the will to live but the downhill gave some reprieve until the joints and quads decided they had enough at 5 k.

But hold on we have another small hill to ascend while taking the spectacular views below. Again how can this hurt in such beautiful surroundings. At least I was beating the flies as they were always behind and actually made me run when walking was my only option.

You might think that that would be it, but no just as the music booms to the ear drums and the last bit of energy is released for the dignified finish, I was pointed right to run walk over a waterfall. ON STEPS. I laughed a kind of Hysteria kind of incredulity, I don't know.

Finally finished, I looked across the lake and up the forest to the sides and thought those Hardy Wicklow Mad Ba####ds. That was some race. What an event, Brilliant Marshalls always smiling and helpful. It was slow for me and it was tough I didnt go to win just complete it. I completed a half IM this year but this was the race of the year for me. It tested everything, EVERYTHING I had anyway.

Thanks Wicklow Tri Club you should be very proud.:):):):):):):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Red Adair

Wexicans...............hard core !!!!!!

red adair

Advertisement