Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish CB frequencies

• 08-09-2014 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭

Hey, would anyone have a list of the frequencies for CB that would be common in Ireland. I have done a few searches and the results are a bit confusing so if someone has a definitive list they can point me towards I would be very appreciative! I am pretty sure they are not used much but i want to out them into the scanner anyway
    ta

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

Hey, would anyone have a list of the frequencies for CB that would be common in Ireland. I have done a few searches and the results are a bit confusing so if someone has a definitive list they can point me towards I would be very appreciative! I am pretty sure they are not used much but i want to out them into the scanner anyway
    ta

Have a look at page 6 of this:

http://www.etsi.org/deliver/etsi_en/300400_300499/30043302/01.03.01_30/en_30043302v010301v.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Similar to UK CB freqs are used for Community radio, mostly Churches.

The definitive list of legal (as opposed to used) are on comreg.ie not ETSI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Interesting that there is a difference between what is legal and what is used! that may explain some of my confusion around this. Is there a list of what is used, or would that be naughty to publish ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TomasH

From the comreg site:

"Operational modes are AM (1W erp), FM (4W erp) and SSB (4W pep). CB is from 26.96-27.41MHz where forty 10 kHz channels are available."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 177 ✭✭brownmini

There is a link on another thread about CB radio in Ireland to a COMREG presentation.
    Some of the frequencies that you were probably thinking about are marked to be used for a sort of community radio and between them and the normal/official CB frequencies is supposed to be left free (in the presentation labelled as a 'guard band').

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

scan from 26 to 28 mhz if your scanner has fm or usb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I'm not really involved in cb but wasn't the calling channel on 27.555 USB?

Not legal, there is a legal calling channel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭OldRio

martinsvi wrote: »
    I'm not really involved in cb but wasn't the calling channel on 27.555 USB?

If my memory serves me right. You are indeed correct. The Alpha Tango DX group did use that frequency as a calling channel. But to be honest the normal practice was of finding an unused frequency and putting out a CQ.

As for the bog standard CB rig channel 19 was used AM of FM. (Though it did vary town to town)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

27 555 usb,,,,international call ch
    27 385 lsb usa call ch
    27 390,,,,27 385,,, lsb,,,,usa call ch.
    26 205 call ch as well usb

• Advertisement

It's totally illegal of course to Transmit on
    27 385 lsb usa call ch

Listening is fine.

watty wrote: »
    It's totally illegal of course to Transmit on
    27 385 lsb usa call ch

Listening is fine.

Of course. Also illegal to transmit on 6.670 and 3.475.

The charter here forbids promotion or endorsement of illegal Radio activity.

watty wrote: »
    The charter here forbids promotion or endorsement of illegal Radio activity.

Indeed it does. Also some mention about back seat moderators in the general rules as well.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Please refrain from the bickering guys. I think it is clear to all at this point that there are official CB frequencies and unofficial frequencies. All we can do is provide accurate information, after that it's down to personal responsibility.

There's a fine balance between allowing and stifling discussion. Boards cannot be used to promote illegal activity, but being over-zealous about these things isn't helpful either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Antenna

interesting historical piece on the link below from RTE TV in 1981 about the 'illegal' CB radio activity in Ireland back then. It seems there was concern from the amateur radio community in Ireland about CB back then :)

http://www.euscreen.eu/play.jsp?id=EUS_08CAAE16CB004DE5B71D37A7254E42EE

The TVI issues mentioned must have been by far mainly an issue in the mid-west of the country, as there, RTE1 TV from Maghera used to be on a Band 1 channel on which second harmonic (double the frequency) of CB band fell!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Antenna wrote: »
    The TVI issues mentioned must have been by far mainly an issue in the mid-west of the country, as there, RTE1 TV from Maghera used to be on a Band 1 channel on which second harmonic (double the frequency) of CB band fell!

Believe me, they were a very big issue in Dublin and any other city/town with a Cablelink system. Every CB user will remember the problems with Channel 4 (which also sat in Band I on the Cablelink system).

"Paul, get off that bloody radio.... I'm trying to watch Brookside" etc. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

"calm down, calm down"

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Shpongler

Thank god for the new digital tv..

The picture just freezes and they don't hear your voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Antenna wrote: »
    interesting historical piece on the link below from RTE TV in 1981 about the 'illegal' CB radio activity in Ireland back then. It seems there was concern from the amateur radio community in Ireland about CB back then :)

http://www.euscreen.eu/play.jsp?id=EUS_08CAAE16CB004DE5B71D37A7254E42EE

Great link thanks.

Don't you just love the Cobra 2000 GTL ,it was a radio to die for when I was a lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Funny I had one of those Ham International power supplies like in that clip. I can see the cobra had been wire jobbed too, look at the freq counter .)
    QTH Electronics had one in the left hand corner of the shop in Dunlaoghaire (Former VRT office), anyone remember that running? Turner Mic too..
    I also had my fair share of tvi headaches,no thanks to cablelink dublin & their hideous vhf band1 tv services and "choice" wideband amplifiers.Disaster waiting to happen back then.
    Irony now is all those cheap pc & chargers and wifi routers have destroyed shortwave to the point where I cant operate below 21mhz as the RFI is from modern technology. Payback?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1982/en/si/0008.html Did anyone get one of these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

telecinesk wrote: »
    QTH Electronics had one in the left hand corner of the shop in Dunlaoghaire (Former VRT office), anyone remember that running? Turner Mic too..

I remember that shop so well, it started off in Dun Laoghaire Shopping Centre and then moved down the street . I bought my first amateur band transceiver there, a Yaesu FT 707 and still have it. I remember the Cobra inside the door and the PDLII on the roof.
    Armstrongs in Blackrock had a great stock of CB radios, I remember myself and 2 others bought a Superstar 360, a Stalker 9 and a Ham International Multimode 2 there during the height of the CB days (and nights).

Advertisement