Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most annoying contemporary TV character?

• 08-09-2014 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭

Ray Donovan's wife gets my vote.

Several other characters from that show are serious contenders, but she gets the big prize. She's a mopey, whiny, yappy little runt. I'd like to boot her through a pane of glass.

Close second for me is the main character from Rectify - Daniel. I have watched every episode of that pile of junk, and the only thing that kept me watching was the hope that he'd get the chair.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I can't stand Chloe O'Brien offa 24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I can't stand Chloe O'Brien offa 24

work_with_computers.gif

My own vote goes to Nucky's girlfriend in Season 1 of Boardwalk Empire, good lord I wanted to slap her every time she was on screen:

Paz_de_la_Huerta.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Alan from 2 and a half men
    Louis from Suits
    Skyler from Breaking Bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Ray Donovan's wife gets my vote as well.

I can't stand her voice/accent. So dammed grating :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Easy. Claire Danes in Homeland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

AdamD wrote: »
    Alan from 2 and a half men
    Louis from Suits
    Skyler from Breaking Bad

I think you meant to type Marie from Breaking Bad ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Ryan Tubirdy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For Reals wrote: »
    Ryan Tubirdy.

Mrs Brown from Mrs browns boys....

too easy?

How about Bran Stark from GOT. Get on with it already!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Olivia Pope from Scandal.
    Jesus h Christ the woman has the will power of Jimmy Saville in a morgue. All she needs to get it on with the president every time is the door of the oval office to be closed.
    And we were told around two episodes in that " Olivia Pope doesn't cry" yes she cries in every freaking episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Pael

Pretty much all the home grown 'talent' on RTE

• Advertisement

Mrs Schroder and her god awful Irish accent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Skylar.

Margaresh, even though that godawful "t = sh" thing wasn't even an accent back then, Schroeder.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sadly, it's Pam Poovey now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Interesting most choices are women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Lets be controversial here - Jesse in Breaking Bad. A moronic nuisance who would have been shot dead in the second season if it bore any relation to reality.
    All the other characters (even Walt, chemists exist) chime with the reality of the drug trade. Jesse is a tourist allowed to live for the sake of the teenage girls in the audience. (He was meant to last until the end of season one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Lets be controversial here - Jesse in Breaking Bad. A moronic nuisance who would have been shot dead in the second season if it bore any relation to reality.
    All the other characters (even Walt, chemists exist) chime with the reality of the drug trade. Jesse is a tourist allowed to live for the sake of the teenage girls in the audience. (He was meant to last until the end of season one).

I found Walt and Jesse both to be incredibly frustrating characters.

In actual fact, Breaking Bad was pretty average overall. But that's a debate for another thread.

The most annoying character on tv for me is Daenarys Targaryan. What a drip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Vet Thrower

Interesting most choices are women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misogyny

I don't think the sample is large enough for you to draw that conclusion from.

The pattern I see is that all of the characters listed are secondary characters, and not the main protagonists / antagonists of the shows mentioned.

Perhaps this is a universal dramatic law of some kind? If you include an annoying secondary character, it makes the main characters more likeable?

I don't think the sample is large enough for you to draw that conclusion from.

The pattern I see is that all of the characters listed are secondary characters, and not the main protagonists / antagonists of the shows mentioned.

Perhaps this is a universal dramatic law of some kind? If you include an annoying secondary character, it makes the main characters more likeable?

Well, Hamlet was a pain in the arse but I'm guessing Shakespeare meant it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"Hamlet was a pain in the arse"

:rolleyes:

That's enough internet for today :pac:

The warden in Gomorra is a dickhead.

catallus wrote: »
    "Hamlet was a pain in the arse"

:rolleyes:

That's enough internet for today :pac:

The warden in Gomorra is a dickhead.

Try reading Hamlet and not reporting back that "he was a spoilt brat with mother issues".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You'd have mother issues too if she was shagging your uncle who killed your dad!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Olivia Pope from Scandal.
    Jesus h Christ the woman has the will power of Jimmy Saville in a morgue. All she needs to get it on with the president every time is the door of the oval office to be closed.
    And we were told around two episodes in that " Olivia Pope doesn't cry" yes she cries in every freaking episode!

I'll see your weak willed & weepy Olivia and raise you the perma constipated Huck. Scandal has to be the most hate watchable show on tv, they are all despicable human beings. Even the comic relief in that show have done some pretty dubious stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Deb in Dexter.

I nearly gave up on the show so many times because of her.

Leonard in Big Bang and Ted in How I Met Your Mother. Boring.

You'd have mother issues too if she was shagging your uncle who killed your dad!

That should be in spoilers. Its all ahead of some of them.;)

ALL the male leads in BBT.

Spoiler alert!

I've thought of some more

1. Lisa Simpson

That is all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

Piper and Larry in Orange is the New Black. Both too stupid for words.

I often find that it's common that the most annoying characters in a series are often the leads, the ones that have to act as bridgeheads for the audience, while the supporting characters are often far more interesting. I'd much rather watch OITNB if Red was the main character or The Strain if they killed off Eph and focused on Vasilly and Abraham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Annie Walker in covert affairs.

She never listens to anyone always and always end up getting caught or messing up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Glen annoys me on the walking dead and the lesbian cop in the wire also annoyed me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Gaius Baltar - Battlestar Galactica. He reminds me of John Waters a bit and the longer the show goes on he actually starts to look like John Waters.

Some characters are supposed to be annoying though. Just like some real people are annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Louis from Suits
    He's maybe the only reason to still watch that show. The only actor to knock his role out of the park in a very disappointing show.

Mine goes to Margaret Shroeder of Boardwalk Empire.

Chang in Community, one trick pony that got old in the first episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Gaius Baltar - Battlestar Galactica. He reminds me of John Waters a bit and the longer the show goes on he actually starts to look like John Waters.

Some characters are supposed to be annoying though. Just like some real people are annoying.

I actually liked Baltar in BSG. He was just out for himself but his character came along over the course of the show.

Lisa Simpson (when the simpsons was good) really annoyed me, the just seemed to use her to get any kind of point across that the writers wanted.

Sansa in game of thrones was painful and everytime she came on screen I was tempted to fast forward but in fairness it looks like that might be changing with how the last season ended.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Fescue wrote: »

In actual fact, Breaking Bad was pretty average overall.

667.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Mrs Brown and ah Brendan O'Carroll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Janice in the Sopranos, dear Jaysus I couldn't stand her! Same goes for Tony's mum too

Both the Soprano kids also went through phases of being whiny spoilt little ****s

Carl from the Walking Dead - that sweaty, squinty, chubby little fúck

That blonde one in Walking dead (is it Andria?) also annoys the bollocks off of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Gemma from Sons Of Anarchy

Massive pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Janice in the Sopranos, dear Jaysus I couldn't stand her! Same goes for Tony's mum too

Both the Soprano kids also went through phases of being whiny spoilt little ****s

Carl from the Walking Dead - that sweaty, squinty, chubby little fúck

That blonde one in Walking dead (is it Andria?) also annoys the bollocks off of me

Richie aprilla in the sopranos. Great character but **** I really wanted to kick him straight in the balls the little bollocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

tastyt wrote: »
    Richie aprilla in the sopranos. Great character but **** I really wanted to kick him straight in the balls the little bollocks

Jackie Aprille too (the younger one), gobsh1te.

Janice was annoying but a great foil for Tony, that scene where he tells her that they buried Richie still cracks me up every time I see it. :pac:

Ralphie was an absolute prick as well, and Johnny Sack wound up being annoying but he was a good character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Latka from taxi.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Agree with loads already posted. Deb from Dexter and Alan from 2 and a half men in particular.
    My own?
    Catherine Tate in anything: ever, but especially the US Office.
    Marge Simpson
    Bernadette from Big Bang Theory
    Bran and Rickon Stark from game of thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Louis from Suits

I agree with Diabhal Beag, Louis is the only reason I watched season 3. Suits would be so boring without him in my opinion. Harvey (who I used like) is just a moany, manipulative **** but they try make him out to be this honourable corporate lawyer.
    Chang in Community, one trick pony that got old in the first episode.

I know a few people with this opinion but I love Chang. "And that's the last time Chang unexpectedly betray us"

My own; I started to watch Entourage and I just hated every single character. Don't think I made it past two episodes.

But I think there is only one winner here guys

tumblr_lloevobz941qgstefo1_500.png

We all love to hate her! :D

EDIT: I forgot about the 'contemporary' in the thread title but I don't know of any as infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I FORGOT!!

PETE CAMPBELL!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Of all time it has to be the kid Beans from Even Stevens (show that brought us Shia LeBeuf)
    tumblr_m2ansr6niq1r4axfp.png

Other annoying characters:
    Rickon in GoT
    The cast of 2.5 Men
    The cast of BBT
    The Joey and Phoebe of later seasons of Friends (writers ruined them two characters)
    Amber in House
    Will in West Wing

Gemma from Sons Of Anarchy

Massive pain in the hole.

agreed, also can't stand Jax's wife
    although I don't have to worry about her any more

Advertisement