Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Worlds 2014 - use spoiler tags for any same day race info (or start a thread!)

• 08-09-2014 4:34pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Cant see a thread on this.

Irish team announced

https://twitter.com/IreCyclingFed/status/508997258923499520
    Irish Team for Cycling World Championships – Ponferrada Spain – September 21-28

Junior Men
    Eddie Dunbar
    Daire Feeley
    Dylan O’Brien
    Michael O’Loughlin
    Stephen Shanahan

Reserve – Craig McAuley

Time Trial – Mark Downey & Michael O’Loughlin

Junior Women
    Josie Knight – Road & Time Trial

U23 Men
    Conor Dunne
    Ryan Mullen
    Jack Wilson

Reserve – Eoin McCarthy

Time Trial – Ryan Mullen

Elite Women
    Olivia Dillon (RR)

Elite Men
    Philip Deignan
    Daniel Martin
    Nicholas Roche (& TT)

Reserve – Sam Bennett

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

What's the course like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

What's the course like?

There's hills in it, saw a profile somewhere a few weeks ago and thought at the time that it'll suit Dan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭boege

Are the hills on this one too tough for Sam?

I ask as the selected three all have similar styles (i.e all decent climbers) with only Dan having any bit of a kick.

No surprises with the juniors How good is this Junior team compared to the international boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

6948546.jpg

in case you were wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

6948546.jpg

in case you were wondering

Looks a really tough course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Who does this course suit? A classics rider or a climber?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

254km with 4,284m ascent!

!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Why was only Olivia Dillon named on the Women's Team? While we might not be blessed with international class talent, surely it would be advantageous to give her a few domestiques, even if it was for the first half of the race only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Briando wrote: »
    Who does this course suit? A classics rider or a climber?

It's too easy for the pure climbers to have a say, but everyone from ardennes classics men to sprinters who can climb a bit will fancy their chances. Spain have set it up for Valverde so Martin definitely has a shot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It's too easy for the pure climbers to have a say, but everyone from ardennes classics men to sprinters who can climb a bit will fancy their chances. Spain have set it up for Valverde so Martin definitely has a shot.

Never thought of that.

Who sets the course? The national federations or the UCI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Why was only Olivia Dillon named on the Women's Team? While we might not be blessed with international class talent, surely it would be advantageous to give her a few domestiques, even if it was for the first half of the race only.

How many riders did we qualify? You can only send the amount of riders that we are entitled to send.

godtabh wrote: »
    Never thought of that.

Who sets the course? The national federations or the UCI?

I could be wrong but I was under the impression it was the federations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

There must be a good chance of us qualifying a full men's team over the next few years.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I could be wrong but I was under the impression it was the federations.
    Don't know if they have to specify the expected course when they apply, but there's no way the UCI can dictate up front which course is actually used. There can be all sorts of things that they have no control over, be it local police, roadworks, other events or whatever. It's only a local organising committee that can take into account all the relevant factors, but even then would require some discretion to cater for unforeseen events

EC1000 wrote: »
    How many riders did we qualify? You can only send the amount of riders that we are entitled to send.

According to stickybottle we are eligible to send a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

I reckon Degenkolb could be a good bet too. He's in good form and has lasting power. Might be a bit too hilly though. Will be interesting to see if Nibali has partied too much after the tour too. I think I remember reading early in the season that the worlds was a big goal for him this year. Will be a good indicator for Lombardia the following week too - both for Nibali and Dan. I think they both have a Lombardia win in them.

Agreed. I think Dan has a fair shot at the worlds. Definitely has a shot at Lombardi, should be in good form coming out of the Vuelta.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

From stickybottle
    Perhaps the biggest surprise of the selection, Olivia Dillon (Colavita) is the only elite woman named for the Worlds. She rides the road race only, with no women being entered into the time trial.

This is despite Ireland being eligible for enter a team into the road race and two riders in the TT.

Too cheap to send a team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

From stickybottle

You do want that velodrome to become a reality, don't you?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You do want that velodrome to become a reality, don't you?

only if I can win the tender for it!

In all seriousness I#ve no idea of the financial position of Cycling Ireland or some of the less well known riders. Do elite cyclists still get grants? The pros did until recently didn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Ah surely not. How much can it cost given that the infrastructure/cars will be there for the men's races anyway. A few Ryanair flights and some extra hotel rooms?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,282 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ireland are ranked 70th out of 74 nations in the current UCI world rankings for women. In terms of individuals I can only see Caroline Ryan just inside the top 500 (3 ranking points, a little way behind Marianne Vos on 1617), and she has much more important priorities to think about. Who therefore do people think should accompany Olivia Dillon in the "team", and is it really worth CI's money to send someone who is unlikely to be able to operate effectively even as a domestique?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭slow

According to the Irish Sports Council website, Cycling Ireland received High Performance funding of €272,000 for Andrew Fitzgerald, Caroline Ryan, Catherine Walsh, Colin Lynch, Enda Smyth, Eoin Mullen, James Brown, Katie George Dunleavy, Mark Rohan and Martyn Irvine - See more at: http://www.irishsportscouncil.ie/High_Performance/Sports/Sport-Agencies/Cycling.html#sthash.3fcPJdLa.dpuf

No other road riders are mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

If you say Valverde then surely it will suit Contador(assuming he is in the Spain squad), Nibali and Froome just as much?

Briando wrote: »
    If you say Valverde then surely it will suit Contador(assuming he is in the Spain squad), Nibali and Froome just as much?

I think Valverde is a better classic rider then those 3, he has a better sprint. Contador won't be riding anyways as far as I know.

Edit: I'm being unfair to Nibali, he has a real chance. Don't think Froome will feature though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Beasty wrote: »
    Ireland are ranked 70th out of 74 nations in the current UCI world rankings for women. In terms of individuals I can only see Caroline Ryan just inside the top 500 (3 ranking points, a little way behind Marianne Vos on 1617), and she has much more important priorities to think about. Who therefore do people think should accompany Olivia Dillon in the "team", and is it really worth CI's money to send someone who is unlikely to be able to operate effectively even as a domestique?

"accompany"? Sure if the situation is as dire as you say surely we should go the whole hog and send no one at all. I mean, without wanting to sound too disrespectful sending one rider in her 40s without so much as a bottle carrier is essentially the same as sending no one, isn't it? Except it's a slightly more expensive way of ensuring no medals, no results, no blooding of new riders and that another swath of riders who'll be blithely dismissed next year as having no experience at that level.

niceonetom wrote: »
    "accompany"? Sure if the situation is as dire as you say surely we should go the whole hog and send no one at all. I mean, without wanting to sound too disrespectful sending one rider in her 40s without so much as a bottle carrier is essentially the same as sending no one, isn't it? Except it's a slightly more expensive way of ensuring no medals, no results, no blooding of new riders and that another swath of riders who'll be blithely dismissed next year as having no experience at that level.
    So who would you suggest? - so far no-one has come up with a single name (other than me, and I can certainly see why Caroline Ryan would not be interested)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

I think Valverde is a better classic rider then those 3, he has a better sprint. Contador won't be riding anyways as far as I know.

Edit: I'm being unfair to Nibali, he has a real chance. Don't think Froome will feature though.

Nibali is riding only as support....must be way off form after Tour win

So who would you suggest? - so far no-one has come up with a single name (other than me, and I can certainly see why Caroline Ryan would not be interested)

What happened to Mel Spath (sp) she went last year didnt she?

• Advertisement

MPFG wrote: »

Who is the Italian leader? Aru? Battalin could have a go at this course, he can climb and sprint.

Edit: Maybe Nibali is taking the Contador "not riding for GC in the vuelta" approach :pac:

Lydia Boylan rode exceptionally well in London recently against the strongest possible opposition.

Does CI have a "development plan" for female riders? If so then surely it would be to the advantage of the development of some of the more promising younger riders to experience the World Championships and encourage them to raise their standards.

Ras na mBan is starting tomorrow. Could this have been used a selection tool in picking a team?

I don't particularly want to criticise CI in this instance, and I am fully aware that we don't have any Marianne Vos or Lizzie Armisteads in Ireland at the moment, but are we doing enough to ensure that there will be in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Does CI have a "development plan" for female riders? If so then surely it would be to the advantage of the development of some of the more promising younger riders to experience the World Championships and encourage them to raise their standards.

Ras na mBan is starting tomorrow. Could this have been used a selection tool in picking a team?

I don't particularly want to criticise CI in this instance, and I am fully aware that we don't have any Marianne Vos or Lizzie Armisteads in Ireland at the moment, but are we doing enough to ensure that there will be in the future?

CI used to send teams to the womens World RR Championships. Some years they did not last 2 kilometres.
    Last year CI sent three or four women to represent Ireland in Firenze but unfortunately they were all out the back on the first lap.
    I am unsure as to the benefit of these excursions for the development of womens cycling in Ireland. One has to attain a certain level before exposure to top competition becomes beneficial. We have nobody near that level that is eligible to represent Ireland.

Irish women perform well at a certain level and this is improving all the time but the World RR Championships is not a playground.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment of last year.

We sent a two woman team to the road race, Olivia Dillon and Mel Spath.

The laps of the circuit started around 57km into a 140km race. The selection on that climb shelled all but 40 of the 141 starters.

Spath and Dillon were pulled on the last lap, along with 93 other riders.

If they weren't near that level that is eligible to represent Ireland, neither was two thirds of the field in Florence.

I think if Cycling Ireland don't fill all the Worlds slots available to them, it would be a good communications policy to outline why that decision was taken. In the absence of an explanation, everyone is just going to to fill it with speculation.

niceonetom wrote: »
    Lydia Boylan rode exceptionally well in London recently against the strongest possible opposition.
    Lydia may well be more focussed on the track and qualifying for the Olympics (as is almost certainly the case for Caroline). Indeed I understand they may well both be working towards pulling together a team pursuit squad for Rio

• Advertisement

I don't think that's an entirely fair assessment of last year.

We sent a two woman team to the road race, Olivia Dillon and Mel Spath.

The laps of the circuit started around 57km into a 140km race. The selection on that climb shelled all but 40 of the 141 starters.

Spath and Dillon were pulled on the last lap, along with 93 other riders.

If they weren't near that level that is eligible to represent Ireland, neither was two thirds of the field in Florence.

I think if Cycling Ireland don't fill all the Worlds slots available to them, it would be a good communications policy to outline why that decision was taken. In the absence of an explanation, everyone is just going to to fill it with speculation.

I was attempting to be kind in my assessment of last year.

Your assessment looks at the overall statistics and fails to drill down.

Did our representatives lose contact at the same time as those 93 other riders and then race in that large group until the comms pulled them out?

I do not think so. There were small groups and bodies stretched along the first climb and unfortunately our two women were not to the forefront of this secondary race.

95 riders may have been pulled from the race due to their gap from the leaders but within those 95 there were also huge time gaps. Some would have lasted in some form of race for a reasonable period and thus gained valuable experience. Others would have been shelled and continued riding alone or in groups of 5/6.
    Two completely different experiences although both leading to the same conclusion, ie not allowed to continue in race due to time gap to leaders. There is a limit set and any rider outside this is withdrawn from the race. Some riders may be very close to this limit whilst others will be hugely outside it.

One of those riders returns to the fray in Ponferrada so her performance this year will give us a better insight into the current situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

MPFG wrote: »

I've seen him say he'll assess based on form on whether to be trying to win or helping a teammate.

Just to add I do think there is a definite development plan for women racers, but at present it's very much leaning towards the track where success has been delivered in recent years, particularly via Caroline Ryan. I would also add I am a very big supporter of women's racing in Ireland and both within my own club and elsewhere will try and do my bit to encourage more women to get involved and hopefully progress to the highest level (as we have seen with the men, particularly in recent years). I simply do not think the quality is there in terms of road racing at this stage. I am hopeful it will though improve with some of the initiatives being taken (and indeed some of that is coming from the track programme, but that can ultimately deliver top class road cyclists as well)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

ragazzo wrote: »
    CI used to send teams to the womens World RR Championships. Some years they did not last 2 kilometres.
    Last year CI sent three or four women to represent Ireland in Firenze but unfortunately they were all out the back on the first lap.
    I am unsure as to the benefit of these excursions for the development of womens cycling in Ireland. One has to attain a certain level before exposure to top competition becomes beneficial. We have nobody near that level that is eligible to represent Ireland.

Irish women perform well at a certain level and this is improving all the time but the World RR Championships is not a playground.

your spot on about it not being a playground.... However there is a danger of Zeroing in on the women and setting up a train of thought that CI shouldn't be bothering to send women to the major events... If the same logic was to apply to the males there mightn't be too much of a team going to this years worlds based on the male results last year (see Below) . Now in case this post is misunderstood I am all for preparing correctly and sending our best riders in every discipline to challenge for world medals.. Always look at the facts !!!

Here’s the results of Irish Riders in the 2013 world road champs.. The women’s results have already been highlighted in earlier posts in this thread. Would be interested in seeing how these results are viewed when compared to the Womens results and the debate on this thread..

JUNIOR MALES

129 Edward Dunbar @ 0.17.44

DNF Mark Downey

DNF Dylan Foley

Under 23 Males

No results as no riders qualified for the Worlds

Elite Professionals

DNF Daniel Martin

DNF Nicolas Roche

DNF Matt Brammeier

DNF Sam Bennet

I await some "drilling down".

• Advertisement

your spot on about it not being a playground.... However there is a danger of Zeroing in on the women and setting up a train of thought that CI shouldn't be bothering to send women to the major events... If the same logic was to apply to the males there mightn't be too much of a team going to this years worlds based on the male results last year (see Below) . Now in case this post is misunderstood I am all for preparing correctly and sending our best riders in every discipline to challenge for world medals.. Always look at the facts !!!

Here’s the results of Irish Riders in the 2013 world road champs.. The women’s results have already been highlighted in earlier posts in this thread. Would be interested in seeing how these results are viewed when compared to the Womens results and the debate on this thread..

JUNIOR MALES

129 Edward Dunbar @ 0.17.44

DNF Mark Downey

DNF Dylan Foley

Under 23 Males

No results as no riders qualified for the Worlds

Elite Professionals

DNF Daniel Martin

DNF Nicolas Roche

DNF Matt Brammeier

DNF Sam Bennet

Maybe you are correct and we should not bother to send any riders to the world road race championships.

However, the atrocious weather conditions on the day of the elite race in Firenze 2013 made for many crashes and abandons so it is slightly disingenuous to take those results in isolation.

If you want to argue against Dan Martin, Nicolas Roche and Philip Deignan representing Ireland in Ponferrada later this month then be my guest. I see the trio as being very well prepared and equipped protour riders. All are capable of a result.

The Junior team situation is a progressive set up. Three juniors represented us in 2013. Two of them will be representing us again this year. There will be a five man team in the road race and two in the TT. Our biggest junior representation for years. Check their national and international results during this year. Well prepared for the task ahead and qualified through the official channels.
    If you would like to argue against their inclusion, work away.

What preparation has been made by a womens team? Have they earned UCI points and qualified for selection? Why do you think they are ready to ride the World RR Championships in Ponferrada?

Maybe tom might drill down and explain it?

I would really like to see a womens team representing Ireland at the Worlds, in all disciplines, but I do not think we have the strength in depth to achieve this at the moment.
    I am not sure if there is a plan in place although some of the women have brought the standard on in recent years through organising races and leagues. Do CI lend much support here? I don't know so maybe 12 sprocket knows what is happening at the moment and can inform us.

Here's to the future!

Maybe you are correct and we should not bother to send any riders to the world road race championships.

However, the atrocious weather conditions on the day of the elite race in Firenze 2013 made for many crashes and abandons so it is slightly disingenuous to take those results in isolation.

If you want to argue against Dan Martin, Nicolas Roche and Philip Deignan representing Ireland in Ponferrada later this month then be my guest. I see the trio as being very well prepared and equipped protour riders. All are capable of a result.

The Junior team situation is a progressive set up. Three juniors represented us in 2013. Two of them will be representing us again this year. There will be a five man team in the road race and two in the TT. Our biggest junior representation for years. Check their national and international results during this year. Well prepared for the task ahead and qualified through the official channels.
    If you would like to argue against their inclusion, work away.

What preparation has been made by a womens team? Have they earned UCI points and qualified for selection? Why do you think they are ready to ride the World RR Championships in Ponferrada?

Maybe tom might drill down and explain it?

I would really like to see a womens team representing Ireland at the Worlds, in all disciplines, but I do not think we have the strength in depth to achieve this at the moment.
    I am not sure if there is a plan in place although some of the women have brought the standard on in recent years through organising races and leagues. Do CI lend much support here? I don't know so maybe 12 sprocket knows what is happening at the moment and can inform us.

Here's to the future!
    I never said we should not bother to send anyone to the worlds, read the post again.. and I am looking forward to a strong irish performance in this years worlds from the pros... THe point I am making is that we cant be taking the womens performances in isolation either. theres a real danger in the women being treated differently if these views are not challenged.. so all I did was lay out some FACTS.. and what do you do.... excuses and rationale for the pros and juniors.. so maybe try a bit of the same thought processes towards the womens performances..

I never said we should not bother to send anyone to the worlds, read the post again.. and I am looking forward to a strong irish performance in this years worlds from the pros... THe point I am making is that we cant be taking the womens performances in isolation either. theres a real danger in the women being treated differently if these views are not challenged.. so all I did was lay out some FACTS.. and what do you do.... excuses and rationale for the pros and juniors.. so maybe try a bit of the same thought processes towards the womens performances..

No excuses at all. Laid out the reasons why the Elite and Junior teams should be represented as they are.

I also stated that I was not aware of the womens road programme and results and asked that maybe you should fill in the blanks.
    You obviously were too busy telling me to read your post that you misread mine.

As I already stated it would be brilliant to have a strong womens team representing Ireland in Ponferrada but I don't think any girl was treated badly by not being invited.
    In the overall scheme of things very few cyclists qualify for this honour.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I also stated that I was not aware of the womens road programme and results and asked that maybe you should fill in the blanks.

Don't let that hold you back. Sure you didn't even know how many women were on the team in Florence, yet you felt sufficiently qualified to "drill down" in your assessment of their performance.

Don't let that hold you back. Sure you didn't even know how many women were on the team in Florence, yet you felt sufficiently qualified to "drill down" in your assessment of their performance.

Answer the question about the womens programme etc and then people will be aware. Firenze was a year ago and individual performances can be analysed regardless of team numbers. One can make an analysis on what they see.
    There is no qualification needed for cycling analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

Yes. How can the women be expected to get to this standard if they can't get the experience racing at this standard?
    Just to add I do think there is a definite development plan for women racers

Really? Because I don't think the 'women racers' have been told anything about this.
    Answer the question about the womens programme etc and then people will be aware. Firenze was a year ago and individual performances can be analysed regardless of team numbers. One can make an analysis on what they see.
    There is no qualification needed for cycling analysis.

Let's not forget you're talking about ordinary people here, not pro riders with big contracts, salaries and support teams behind them. I don't think they should be criticized on a public forum like this - qualification or not.

Yes. How can the women be expected to get to this standard if they can't get the experience racing at this standard?

Really? Because I don't think the 'women racers' have been told anything about this.

Let's not forget you're talking about ordinary people here, not pro riders with big contracts, salaries and support teams behind them. I don't think they should be criticized on a public forum like this - qualification or not.

Debates like this can be very healthy, Its already highlighted some misconceptions that are out there about womens cycling in Ireland , also that some people expect different criteria and standards from the women compared to other groups when selecting teams for the worlds...

Lets look on it in a positive light, Cycling Ireland could begin to get a squad together looking towards qualifying some female riders for the 2020 Olympics... maybe there is a process already in place to get some road riders to the Rio Olympics... I know they are working extremely hard to get people to the track in Rio. Is there a strategy in place for qualifying for the Road? And to finish best wishes to all the riders in Ras Na Mban beginning today

Debates like this can be very healthy, Its already highlighted some misconceptions that are out there about womens cycling in Ireland , also that some people expect different criteria and standards from the women compared to other groups when selecting teams for the worlds...

Lets look on it in a positive light, Cycling Ireland could begin to get a squad together looking towards qualifying some female riders for the 2020 Olympics... maybe there is a process already in place to get some road riders to the Rio Olympics... I know they are working extremely hard to get people to the track in Rio. Is there a strategy in place for qualifying for the Road? And to finish best wishes to all the riders in Ras Na Mban beginning today

Nobody seems to have the answer to the question on strategies being implemented to further the chances of women and their performances at world level.

There is no criticism of the women representing Ireland being made by me. I admire their efforts and achievements.

To answer my earlier question.... Womens teams qualify for the World Road Race Championships based on the position/Ranking of their country in the UCI rankings. Irelands ranking (courtesy of the protour riders) qualified 5 women to ride the Worlds road race.
    Regardless of strategy or level of competition and performance Irish women currently qualify based on the performances of our protour riders.

This means that our women do not line out in races that would prepare them for the world championships. Lack of preparation means lack of form and no chance of performing to a standard necessary for the top level.

Whilst the elite men race at protour and pro continental level and the juniors/espoirs chase points for qualification by racing the relevant events, it seems that the women have no official programme set out by CI to assist their progress and their chances. Some have tried on their own by moving to Belgium/ Netherlands/USA etc but this is very difficult and expensive.

It seems that Cycling Ireland has decided to support womens track cycling ( the results there are excellent) with whatever resources they have but preparation for road events has been left to the individual riders themselves.
    Difficult to live a working life and race competitively at the very top level. Some support from the sports NGB would seem like a necessity although this could probably be blamed on the sports council and their method of funding.

Best of luck to all the women participating in Ràs na mBàn this week.
    A superb example of the efforts that some of the women racers go to in order to provide events. Respect!

To answer my earlier question.... Womens teams qualify for the World Road Race Championships based on the position/Ranking of their country in the UCI rankings. Irelands ranking (courtesy of the protour riders) qualified 5 women to ride the Worlds road race.
    Regardless of strategy or level of competition and performance Irish women currently qualify based on the performances of our protour riders.

This is incorrect. There's no such thing as a women's "protour". We qualify three riders, not five to ride the Women's worlds this year. UCI points can be earned at any UCI ranked races.

By and large, in the past couple of years, the Women's road race team has been selected from the women who've earned UCI points for us.

This is incorrect. There's no such thing as a women's "protour". We qualify three riders, not five to ride the Women's worlds this year. UCI points can be earned at any UCI ranked races.

By and large, in the past couple of years, the Women's road race team has been selected from the women who've earned UCI points for us.

Who said anything about a womens protour??

The male protour riders earn the points that lead to Ireland's UCI ranking. The size of the womens team is based on Ireland's UCI ranking.

There are other methods of qualification for male elite riders including the pro continental route and riders individual points tally.

I think everybody is aware that UCI points can be won at UCI ranked races. No great revelation in that particular nugget.

Edit: if the UCI qualifying rule relates solely to womens qualification then We qualify a 3 strong team as we are ranked outside the top 20 nations or we are non ranked.
    I was referring to the male qualification system earlier. Mea culpa!

• Advertisement
Advertisement