Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on what to do??

Options
  • 08-09-2014 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Ok here is the story.
    Last year I had booked into my college accommodation but missed the reception to collect my keys on the Sunday so I asked my friend to stay at his house for the night. He said that was ok so I went off to his house and we went out that night being the first night back. I was in a sober state when we got back to the house and seeing as he decided to stay somewhere else I stayed in his bed. When I got into his bed the top of his bed where my head was resting immediately collapsed to the ground without applying any major force to the bed apart from the weight from my head and shoulders. I just put the pillow to the foot of the bed and slept that way for the night explaining what happened in the morning. I know it may sound strange but my friend just left it like that for the year sleeping at the foot of the bed.

Heard nothing back about it all year until my friend was moving out and he asked was it me that had broken the top of the bed. I told him again and he told me he propped it with plywood and would hope no to hear back about it. That brings me to today when I get a message of my friend looking for me to fork out the 150 Eur to cover the missing deposit. He told me his mother had rang the landlord and that the landlord went nuts because a nail almost went through her hand. I assume my friend had used the nail propping the ply-board.

What should I do in this case? I dont really see why I should fork out the 150 Eur as the bed was clearly broken/unsuitable for use when he first moved in. Should I get him to contact the PTRB about the situation. I know we should have contacted the landlord straight away about the situation but its done now and we cant go back.:confused:

Any advice is greatly appreciated , thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Nothing to do with the PRTB. your Buddie should have reported the breakage as soon as it happened rather than bodging it. Pay up if you want to keep him sweet but otherwise id ignore him. Maybe offer to pay half at most.

I wouldn't worry too much about it either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

JoeySully wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the PRTB. your Buddie should have reported the breakage as soon as it happened rather than bodging it. Pay up if you want to keep him sweet but otherwise id ignore him. Maybe offer to pay half at most.

I wouldn't worry too much about it either ;)
    Thanks for the advice. Think Im just going to have to pay him the full amount seeing as it was me who broke the bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Yes, he should contact the PRTB if the landlord refuses to give the deposit back.

First, she can't just go ahead and make deductions from the deposit without providing receipts. Second, it can't be that expensive to fix a cheap, plywood bed. A nail and some wood glue I'd imagine.

As for the nail, if it was part of the bed (as opposed to an addition your friend made) he should threaten to report her to the PRTB, saying that it nearly went in to his head when the bed fell apart and he's considering legal action. ;)

tenifan wrote: »
    Yes, he should contact the PRTB if the landlord refuses to give the deposit back.

First, she can't just go ahead and make deductions from the deposit without providing receipts. Second, it can't be that expensive to fix a cheap, plywood bed. A nail and some wood glue I'd imagine.

As for the nail, if it was part of the bed (as opposed to an addition your friend made) he should threaten to report her to the PRTB, saying that it nearly went in to his head when the bed fell apart and he's considering legal action. ;)
    Thanks I'll advise my friend on what you just said and look into taking he to the PTRB about the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Mod note: don't exaggerate or make up claims to blackmail landlords with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,935 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

he should threaten to report her to the PRTB, saying that it nearly went in to his head when the bed fell apart and he's considering legal action. ;)

Ya, the LL is going to believe that when he didn't hear about the problem for the whole year.

OP, man up: you broke it, your mate didn't report it - between you, you need to pay.

Mod note: don't exaggerate or make up claims to blackmail landlords with.

"the landlord went nuts because a nail almost went through her hand"

No reason to lose the deposit.
    Ya, the LL is going to believe that when he didn't hear about the problem for the whole year.

OP, man up: you broke it, your mate didn't report it - between you, you need to pay.

Nah, disagree. If it broke as easy as the op says, I wouldn't pay it. I might offer to repair it. In which case the nail would come in handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

"the landlord went nuts because a nail almost went through her hand"

No reason to lose the deposit.

Nah, disagree. If it broke as easy as the op says, I wouldn't pay it. I might offer to repair it. In which case the nail would come in handy.
    Don't argue a mod note/instruction on thread...This is a site wide rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

sdowling04 wrote: »
    I was in a sober state when we got back to the house and seeing as he decided to stay somewhere else I stayed in his bed. When I got into his bed the top of his bed where my head was resting immediately collapsed to the ground without applying any major force to the bed apart from the weight from my head and shoulders.
    TBH, sounds like that wasn't the first time it fell apart, and you're being used as the fall guy. Also, ensure you get a receipt to ensure your mate (or you) aren't being scammed by the landlord (or your mate).

the_syco wrote: »
    TBH, sounds like that wasn't the first time it fell apart, and you're being used as the fall guy. Also, ensure you get a receipt to ensure your mate (or you) aren't being scammed by the landlord (or your mate).

Just got back from my friend and he said that he didn't put the nail there that the landlord accused him of placing there.

• Advertisement

Well, as I said, the landlord must justify deductions from the deposit including receipts for reasonable repairs, and if your friend doesn't get satisfaction the PRTB is the next course of action.

Advertisement