Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone been/lived in malta?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah no, not really. A few at night time but it's not over-run with them. None in the apartment anyway. I hate cockroaches and I was grand. :)

Yep not that many of them, I loathe cockroaches, and barely had any in my appartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sodoro

I lived there for two years and would return in a heartbeat. Lived in sliema for the first year and zurrieq the second year. I was working in the southern part of the island and the traffic to and from sliema and my place of work was crazy so I moved to the quieter, quainter southern town of zurrieq. If you are working and living in Valletta you should be ok but if you have to drive to Valletta for work it could be frustrating. (Commuting by bus would be better)

I completely disagree with the people saying it is directed towards older people or it's a boring island. The must have amazingly interesting lives in ireland or something. There is always something happening for all ages every weekend in Malta. Parties, festivals, cultural attractions etc. The food is also delicious and the people are genuinely friendly. Gozo is also probably my favourite place ever.

I found the people very easy and friendly to work with. Made some very good friends there and I still visit at least twice a year since I have returned to ireland. Working atmosphere is much nicer than Ireland, it's more relaxed and it's nice to know are guaranteed sunshine when you leave at 3.30pm.

It's a fabulous culturally dense country, fabulous weather with amazing women as people have correctly mentioned. Even if your salary is low, your quality of life will be much better. And it's all relative: rents are cheaper, things like car insurance and car tax are so so cheap in comparison to ireland, the healthcare system is accredited as among the best in the world and it's FREE, visit to the GP costs maybe 7/8 euro.

One or two things that did annoy me...they have an expression in maltese that NASA use the maltese roads to prepare their lunar buggies for the surface of the moon because the roads are so bad, and I have to agree. That's prob why the road tax is about 50 year. Also, maltese people are absolutely incapable of queuing. It's impossible for them.

Overall...sun, beaches, crystal blue sea, loads to do and see, friendly people..go!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

Some seriously good looking women.

What are the men like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Sodoro wrote: »
    I lived there for two years and would return in a heartbeat. Lived in sliema for the first year and zurrieq the second year. I was working in the southern part of the island and the traffic to and from sliema and my place of work was crazy so I moved to the quieter, quainter southern town of zurrieq. If you are working and living in Valletta you should be ok but if you have to drive to Valletta for work it could be frustrating. (Commuting by bus would be better)

I completely disagree with the people saying it is directed towards older people or it's a boring island. The must have amazingly interesting lives in ireland or something. There is always something happening for all ages every weekend in Malta. Parties, festivals, cultural attractions etc. The food is also delicious and the people are genuinely friendly. Gozo is also probably my favourite place ever.

I found the people very easy and friendly to work with. Made some very good friends there and I still visit at least twice a year since I have returned to ireland. Working atmosphere is much nicer than Ireland, it's more relaxed and it's nice to know are guaranteed sunshine when you leave at 3.30pm.

It's a fabulous culturally dense country, fabulous weather with amazing women as people have correctly mentioned. Even if your salary is low, your quality of life will be much better. And it's all relative: rents are cheaper, things like car insurance and car tax are so so cheap in comparison to ireland, the healthcare system is accredited as among the best in the world and it's FREE, visit to the GP costs maybe 7/8 euro.

One or two things that did annoy me...they have an expression in maltese that NASA use the maltese roads to prepare their lunar buggies for the surface of the moon because the roads are so bad, and I have to agree. That's prob why the road tax is about 50 year. Also, maltese people are absolutely incapable of queuing. It's impossible for them.

Overall...sun, beaches, crystal blue sea, loads to do and see, friendly people..go!!

wow that sounds great, seems more positives than negatives.:)

just wondering if anyone else has been:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

zweton wrote: »

The British Empire

The British Empire

The British Empire

gladrags wrote: »
    The British Empire

Maltesers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Sodoro wrote: »
    I
    I completely disagree with the people saying it is directed towards older people or it's a boring island. The must have amazingly interesting lives in ireland or something. There is always something happening for all ages every weekend in Malta.
    Ok… realistically… Co. Waterford is six times bigger than Malta.

Ireland is over 250 times bigger than Malta.

Of course there is going to be more activities, and more diverse activities, on the island of Ireland than there is on the island of Malta.

It is simply a matter of common sense that such a small island is limited in the scope of the activities it can offer to residents.

• Advertisement

tis small alright, seems nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I'm living in Malta at the moment. Been here for a year and I love it. Can't understand why people think its boring!! I haven't been bored once since I got here. There are some that irritate or confuse me but I believe that is the same not matter what country you go to.

Its cheap, sunny, friendly, relaxed, fun and low taxes. The food is great. If you like seafood, its much better than Ireland. Going out for a nice meal costs less than half what it did in Dublin.

I highly recommend it. However I have no idea what it would be like living here on a Maltese wage. Getting paid Dublin rates (but paying a lot less tax) while living here is brilliant.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Anyone who says Maltese people are friendly needs their fúcking head examined. Unless you're Maltese you're going to be treated like shít with the mentality - "if you don't like, go home".

I've been here 3 years and say the same thing to everyone. Malta would be lovely if there wasn't any Maltese people.

They're rude, racist and stupidly loud.

It's good in summer but crap in winter (which it's coming into now). Cabin fever sets in during the winter months too.

Look on the Times of Malta or Malta Today and whenever a news story runs about a foreigner breaking the law the first thing is "deport them back to Africa" but if it's a Maltese person - "oh god, poor chap, he clearly needs help".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Anyone who says Maltese people are friendly needs their fúcking head examined. Unless you're Maltese you're going to be treated like shít with the mentality - "if you don't like, go home".

I've been here 3 years and say the same thing to everyone. Malta would be lovely if there wasn't any Maltese people.

It's good in summer but crap in winter (which it's coming into now). Cabin fever sets in during the winter months too.

Look on the Times of Malta or Malta Today and whenever a news story runs about a foreigner breaking the law the first thing is "deport them back to Africa" but if it's a Maltese person - "oh god, poor chap, he clearly needs help".

And don't send back your food, EVER! Christ, I thought your wan was going to batter me when I said I didn't order the steak well done......

haha thats funny i think your the first to say that are not friendly:) maybe just to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

What a crock of ****e, sure you can say the same about most, if not all countries. Every country has their problems, emigration from Africa to malta is an issue the Maltese have addressed well despite their size and facilities, it doesn't surprise me that some maltesers want to deport troublemakers when **** goes down, every country has their share of rude, racist and loud, to suggest otherwise ...........

They handled it well? Are you right in the head? They shack them up in a shanty town down south and provide them nothing. They do nothing to stop homemade rafts of immigrants coming over. Leaving most of them to die en route.

This country is backwards.

Drink driving is totally acceptable. I get grief because I don't do it.

Their laws are a joke and completely unenforced unless of course you get caught with a miniscule amount of drugs. Then they'll throw the book at you.

from one backwards country to another then eh lol...oh lord.

They handled it well? Are you right in the head? They shack them up in a shanty town down south and provide them nothing. They do nothing to stop homemade rafts of immigrants coming over. Leaving most of them to die en route.

This country is backwards.

Drink driving is totally acceptable. I get grief because I don't do it.

Their laws are a joke and completely unenforced unless of course you get caught with a miniscule amount of drugs. Then they'll throw the book at you.[/

That's the problem right there, African immigration is an EU problem, not a Maltese problem. They handle it as well with the (lack of) facilities they have. Whatever about the law, just like irish, the majority of Maltese I've come across are decent, not rude, not racist, and not loud as mentioned

• Advertisement

are you living in malta starscream?

are you living in malta starscream?

Currently not, lived there before for a short while, have a few Maltese friends and many relations over there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd agree with this tbh six months of being there was enough for me

It really is Ireland in the 70/80s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd agree with this tbh six months of being there was enough for me

It really is Ireland in the 70/80s

If I had a DeLorean and a flux capacitor I'd go back to the 70's and 80's in Ireland because I missed out on those due to late birth.. though the 40's-60's would be nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

And they all drive like fecking maniacs over there!!!

That's the problem right there, African immigration is an EU problem, not a Maltese problem. They handle it as well with the (lack of) facilities they have. Whatever about the law, just like irish, the majority of Maltese I've come across are decent, not rude, not racist, and not loud as mentioned

I'm just going to assume that you didn't spend an awful lot of time in Malta. Maybe a summer or something.

Obviously there are Maltese who are nice, not racist, not loud etc - I have a bunch of Maltese friends but my view from time here, and it's not just shared by me, is that they're one of the most unfriendly nations in Europe.

Without a doubt, the most unwelcoming place I've ever lived.

• Advertisement

thats a shame, although iv heard the opposite about them too so i guess
    it deplends who you meet. still seems theres more positives for a small place. wonder what they are like to work with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

If you've a job offer ready go go then get out there ASAP.

The place is a paradise.

yeah its not til late october, have you been there?

do they get many cold months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Tilly wrote: »
    Gozo is like a third world country

FYI, Ireland actually is a third-world country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I'm just going to assume that you didn't spend an awful lot of time in Malta. Maybe a summer or something.

Obviously there are Maltese who are nice, not racist, not loud etc - I have a bunch of Maltese friends but my view from time here, and it's not just shared by me, is that they're one of the most unfriendly nations in Europe.

Without a doubt, the most unwelcoming place I've ever lived.

I'm going to a wedding there towards the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to it now:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 412 ✭✭better call saul

Mostly around paceville really, lots of 14-16 year olds going for playful fingering sessions and puking on the street. The drink is dirt cheap and the places do be having the sh1te Spanish music pumping till the wee hours. I stayed near that part of town but would hate to live there

flights booked

blacklilly wrote: »
    I'm going to a wedding there towards the end of this month. I'm really looking forward to it now:pac:

you will have to let me know what it was like:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

They are fond of hunting in Malta. They like to kill anything that flies, protected/endangered species or not.

They are fond of hunting in Malta. They like to kill anything that flies, protected/endangered species or not.

yes i heard that all right, anyone else been?

I thought you'd be settled there at this stage :D

lol:D

lol:D

When are you making a decision? I'd say we are running out if people who've been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about you visit for 2 weeks OP and see for yourself?

yes that is prob the best idea in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Two weeks is not enough, you may as well spend that time in disneyland, because living there and visiting there are two completely different things. It will give you an indication, but nothing else.
    Spend two/three months then youll know the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

This is the most weirdly-recurrent thread in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

conorh91 wrote: »
    This is the most weirdly-recurrent thread in AH.

This !...just go, or don't. Who has the luxury to go somewhere for 3 months before deciding to accept a job!!

Get on with it ffs!

Advertisement