Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian rupees

Options
  • 08-09-2014 7:20pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know where in Dublin city I might get a few hundred euro in Indian rupees at very short notice (need it for tomorrow.) Thanks very much in advance. Will try all the banks in the morning, but what are the alternatives if they dont have any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I was amazed to see that AIB actually quote a rate for rupees but I'd suspect that officially you're supposed to order it in advance. However if I was you I'd phone my local branch, ask to speak to the official doing foreign exchange (don't ask the person who answers the phone or they'll fob you off with the official '3 days notice' BS) and ask if there's one of the big downtown branches that might have it in stock.

http://personal.aib.ie/our-products/current-accounts/foreign-exchange/foreign-exchange-rates-sell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I was in India a few months ago and couldn't get any rupees before I went. It's a closed currency and can't be traded no matter how many banks I contacted. You may have better luck though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Try BOI College Green. They generally have tons of unusual currencies that people sell coming back from their holidays. They had Chinese RMB available in their vault. It was a 40 min wait through

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lbucko

Dovies wrote: »
    I was in India a few months ago and couldn't get any rupees before I went. It's a closed currency and can't be traded no matter how many banks I contacted. You may have better luck though

+1
    I used an ATM in the airport when I arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

It is illegal to import Indian rupees (bank notes) into India!

The Reserve Bank of India is very clear on that http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/ECMUserView.aspx?Id=32&CatID=10#im7d4 .

There are some exceptions for residents of India that are returning home but as a non resident visitor you are not allowed to bring curreny into the country (and also to take rupees out of the country).

You can only get currency by using an ATM or a money exchange place in India once you are there.

You will see several warning signs when you leave India at an airport telling you that it's illegal to export rupees. There are also collection boxes for small change.

• Advertisement
Advertisement