Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to figure out which breed

• 08-09-2014 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

We are looking for help in trying to figure out a breed of dog.

We live in a terraced house with a smallish back garden but lots of open parks and space nearby. We have two kids - nine and seven (and no plans to introduce any babies!). I have had dogs as a child so I have some idea what I am getting into.

We plan on having the dog sleep indoors and we want a 'no shed' breed. However for three weeks every summer my wife and the two kids (and the new dog) move to my mother-in-law's house. She is adamant she will not have a dog in the house.

We were thinking of a Bichon Frise but I spoke to a breeder who said the dog would not be happy making the adjustment from indoors to outdoors.

Has anyone any thoughts on a breed?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

No thoughts on the breed sorry, I'm a husky man (we have 2) but I really can't see why the dog would 'have' to be outdoors for those 3 weeks.

My advice? Crate train the dog from the get go. We have two 'medium/considered large' breed dogs in a small terraced house. It works brilliantly as they have a shared crate (at night).

It allows us take them to hotels, holiday lets, camping, you name it... Basically, once ye settle on the breed, open your mind to crate training.

The poor thing might have difficulty adjusting to three weeks outdoors. Totally unnecessary 'in my opinion'...

Best of luck with the breed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mh

Thanks, Hooked

We have heard a lot of good things about crating - both online and in the real world. None of the dogs I had growing up were crated (not sure it was around) but it is definitely something we plan on doing.

So does that mean the dog is always crated? ie that is his/her normal bed even when at home?

And if that is the case, the dog sleeps indoors albeit it in the crate when in my Mother-IL's?

That makes sense if I am understanding it right

Thanks

mh wrote: »
    Thanks, Hooked

We have heard a lot of good things about crating - both online and in the real world. None of the dogs I had growing up were crated (not sure it was around) but it is definitely something we plan on doing.

So does that mean the dog is always crated? ie that is his/her normal bed even when at home?

And if that is the case, the dog sleeps indoors albeit it in the crate when in my Mother-IL's?

That makes sense if I am understanding it right

Thanks

That's it exactly. My initial reaction (and morse so my fiancées) was that it was cruel. Hugo (now 3 and a half) used to take himself off to his bed whenever it suited him. Dogs see it more as a den/personal safe space than a 'prison'.

I'm literally just up, down to the dogs (we added Jack last Feb), ready to take them both out for morning walk/run. I split the large crate in two. They sleep side by side, divided by a mesh panel.

We have 2 fabric (travel) crates that we use when going on holidays. We used to drag the big crate around till we had a brainwave!

It's great for everything. Feeding (if wet out), rest after surgery, when guests (non doggy people) call and especially when WE are eating. As soon as I plate up, the 2 boys head straight for the crate - and wait for a treat. The door is always open except at night, when they sleep.

Ours is located just inside the backdoor, so it's great for drying the dogs, and it's the first place they go when they enter the house. Don't get me wrong - they have the complete run of downstairs. And spend every evening in with us, on the living room floor.

It's the most important decision we made regarding having a life with dogs. By a mile.

6C6E5187-A3EA-47B1-8768-18B75F991C21_zpsqmteaqjr.jpg

Most important to pick a crate that is just big enough for the dog. Too big and they might use one end as a toilet.

That's another thing crates are brilliant for! Toilet training. Dogs generally won't 'go' where they sleep. However for the first few months you'll have to let him or her out at night every 2-3 hours to go (If a puppy).

We had Jack trained in 2 nights. No lie.

And here's the proof that the crate isn't their only indoor 'bed'... ;P

A72D139E-7BC1-4C31-A59E-C114436ADB95_zpsjs6kayyg.jpg

Now, walkies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Agree with hooked re crating. My boys enjoy their beds too. But the crate can be open to abuse so it's important you use it kindly. Never leave a dog in there for too long, take training slowly etc.

However if you're gonna be in your mother in laws for three weeks I'd worry that for that time the dog would be confined to the crate for way too long. If it were me I'd rather send the dog to a home boarder for that time.

I'd agree too that an indoor dog would find a transition outdoors very stressful. Making it a stressful trip for you. Actually from experience, bringing a dog into a house where they are not fully welcome is stressful for all involved anyway. I wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mine absolutely love their crates. As they are a lively breed it keeps the house safe, my small furries stay alive & also during a recent break in, it kept them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 mh

Thank you for all the help and the advice on crating - really helpful

Hooked - I think those huskies are gorgeous but I just showed them to my wife and she said way too big - I thought I was close :-(

Whispered - that is the conversation we are having a home tonight. Do we send the dog to a kennels for some of the trip? It kinda feels cruel to the dog and the kids - they are off school and will want to be with their dog!

Thanks for the advice though - we will keep mulling it over

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FandangoRanger

The bichon frisé is a lovely breed but definitely not an outside dog. He'd want to be with you all the time. Mine will not stay outside for more than 15 minutes unless I'm there with him.

A crate can be used as a type of den--a safe place for the dog--but not as a prison. Bichons are high maintenance and need to be brushed regularly and groomed from time to time.

I have friends with a similarly sized dog. I take care of theirs when they go on holiday and they take care of mine. We've been doing this for years and it costs nothing and the dogs are not stressed when they spend time at their "holiday home."

mh wrote: »

Hooked - I think those huskies are gorgeous but I just showed them to my wife and she said way too big - I thought I was close :-(

Oh Jesus no, mh... Stay well away!

You want a non coating breed. Not one that blows it's entire coat twice a year! :)

Advertisement