Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation....Help Needed!!!

Options
  • 08-09-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I need some advice about accommodation.

I recently started a M.Sc. I was under huge pressure to get accommodation (which was very scarce). Luckily I found a room, in a 7 bed house. On talking with the landlord I explained that I was looking for a quiet house (as I am a postgrad) and that I didn't mind paying the exorbitant rent as the house was newly furnished and on the day I viewed it it was very quiet.

I paid my deposit, my utility bill for the year and one months rent upfront. I have been living in the house for only 2 days and all I can say is "Holy God College Has Changed". The street outside the house may as well be an all night bar. The're hoards of people shouting and screaming from about 8:00pm until 3am. It's like the last days of Rome out there at times. On top of that 2 of my housemates are in second year, and are mad up for going out every night of the week. (TBH They are young, in second year and just want to have a good time. No harm in that really) On top of all of this parking outside my house is next to impossible. Max stay with a parking ticket it 2 hours and I have been told I could be waiting weeks for a permit, which is supposed to be impossible to get anyway.

Anyway as I said I'm paying allot of rent, and could probably get something further away from the University and save a good few euro. But I am afraid of loosing my deposit as I have signed a contract for 39 weeks.

What I want to know is if I act quickly is there any clause like a cool off period for these contracts that I can use to get out of the contract and get my deposit back. I am spending huge money in fees for my Msc and really don't to screw it up because of where I choose to live.

Any advice from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is the landlady living in the house?

What does the contract you signed say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You need to find someone to replace you for you to leave with your deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thomas98798

No she doesn't live with us. Shared accommodation with other students..
    Anyone else have any ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You need to find someone to replace you for you to leave with your deposit.

This. You need to find someone else to take the room for the duration of your contract. The landlord should accept this person (within reason, they should be a reasonable replacement), you have the right to assign your lease. http://www.prtb.ie/dispute-resolution/disputes/terminating-a-fixed-term-tenancy

Regarding noise, I'm not sure how you thought a seven bedroom house was ever going to be quiet?

As for parking, did you not notice this when you viewed the property?

Student accommodation is hard to find but you still need to have your eyes open when viewing/accepting accommodation.

Advertisement