Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy Spaying

• 08-09-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I can't see a thread on this inside the last year, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I have three questions:
    1. After her first season or before?
    2. What did owners pay recently in the Dublin area?
    3. I've seen owners mention using different vets for one animal - is that not frowned upon by vets or can we go a la carte when it comes to procedures?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Can anyone help out with responses to questions two and/or three? I'm trying to budget for spaying on a limited income and would really be grateful for ballpark figures around the city. I had a couple of hundred set aside but unanticipated vets visits hammered that fund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Was always told do it before first season, I think it cost me €200 to do my last pup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The cost of spaying also depends on the size of the dog, the bigger the dog, the more anaesthetic needed, so the higher the cost I believe.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I had already decided anyways but was advised by my vet to wait for my retriever to have a heat before spaying. I already have one retriever with joint problems and don't want another one if I can help it!! Cost wise I've estimated myself that it'll be €200-300 because she's 33 kgs? I'm also going to have her hips x-rayed so approx €100 added on to that too.. I had also decided to use a different vet who does keyhole spay (so a quicker recovery) but after my other dog had some heath problems over the last month I decided to stick with my own vet because I trust her and they're on my doorstep if there's any problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

There are a couple of places that do reduced cost vet. care in Dublin.

St. Francis http://www.stfrancis.ie/contact.html and also the Blue Cross http://www.bluecross.ie/ both in Inchicore.

There's no problem going a la carte as you say but just make sure you are happy with the vet, spays are big enough operations so you want to be sure you're happy with the care and aftercare your dog will receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I think the Blue Cross orgaisation might be able to give you some advice. I read somewhere that they operate a low cost neutering scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.

Advertisement