Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice for Developmental Checks

Options
  • 08-09-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Just wondering how much notice you usually get for your children's developmental checks?

I'm getting 2-4 days notice (received by letter), which is causing difficulty as it means either DH or I have to book a day off work and cancel all scheduled meetings at short notice. It's putting me under unnecessary pressure and I'm getting a bit cross over it.

I've already explained to the PHN that we both work full time and commute. I can't understand why they can't give at least 2 weeks notice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I got about 45 mins notice of my last one, post with the appointment arrived just as I was heading out the door. Was lucky I was on leave at the time.

I did say it at the time to the PHN, but i think it was an admin thing. The letters probabky queue up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Just call them to reschedule the appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

My PHN rings me and arranges a day/time over the phone that suits me, usually it's for the same week or the following week, but it's at my convenience. I would struggle with 2-4days notice as well. Can you phone when you get the letter to re-schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I wouldn't worry about the checks unless you have some concerns. You're not obliged to participate in the PHN system. I have brought mine to all the checks but on the occasions it doesn't suit I reschedule. I think the times are a pain though - they seem to do the checks on a Tuesday where I'm based which I can't take off from work. They should really consider doing them at weekends.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can ring and schedule them yourself,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Idrive

Just having the same problem here this week. Got letter on Friday for development check tomorrow morning. Husband couldn't get the day off and I had to grovel to the boss to get the morning off.
    When I tried to rearrange with phn , she got all snotty with me. Advised me that 8-9 month check is a big medical check and that my county is one of the last to get one. Was looking at a further month delay and still couldn't be sure of the day off.. Also getting a letter on a Friday means you are asking employer on a Monday for a Tuesday off.
    Pain in the hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

Just call them to reschedule the appointment.

I did of course call them but I can't just pick and choose the dates. 'Rescheduling' means waiting at least another month - exact date to be decided! He's 10 months now and this would be his 7-9 month check so it's well overdue.

I had already 'rescheduled' (if you could call it that) his July appointment as we only got a few days notice again and we were due to be on holidays. This is the result: they make the appointment with two days notice three months later.

I know it's a public system, but I resent having appointments 'made' for me, especially at short notice. I've calmed down a bit about it anyways - I think it's mainly due to staff shortages and partly due to inefficiencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My PHN sends a letter with a date, if it doesn't suit I ring her and she asks me what date suits me... She's even called up to the house for a few of them when I'd be busy with the other kids...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

KCC wrote: »
    I did of course call them but I can't just pick and choose the dates. 'Rescheduling' means waiting at least another month - exact date to be decided! He's 10 months now and this would be his 7-9 month check so it's well overdue.

I had already 'rescheduled' (if you could call it that) his July appointment as we only got a few days notice again and we were due to be on holidays. This is the result: they make the appointment with two days notice three months later.

I know it's a public system, but I resent having appointments 'made' for me, especially at short notice. I've calmed down a bit about it anyways - I think it's mainly due to staff shortages and partly due to inefficiencies.

Where we used to live I would have rather paid to go somewhere else .
    There are 2 lovely PHN here though .

Advertisement