Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

transferring between universities during PhD?

• 08-09-2014 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi ALL,
    Im looking at the possibilities of transferring from a UK university to one in Ireland to complete/continue my PhD research. I am at the MPhil transfer stage. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone know if it is possible?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I know at least one PhD student who started in another country so yes, it is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

hi ALL,
    Im looking at the possibilities of transferring from a UK university to one in Ireland to complete/continue my PhD research. I am at the MPhil transfer stage. Has anyone ever done this or does anyone know if it is possible?
    thanks
    It's possible, but it depends on individual circumstances. Where your funding comes from would be a major factor, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

private funding... logistically it is becoming difficult researching given the distance I am from my supervisor and the flexibility being grated as Im part time. I'm hoping to transfer to a university in dublin or surrounding area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

It's definitely possible, as my supervisor mentioned it to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Your first step obviously is to find a supervisor willing to take it on for the remainder of the duration. Once you've done that I'd imagine the transfer would would be a formality (in as much as academic bureaucracy is ever a "formality").

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Definitely possible - I went the other way (IE to UK), but I'm self-funded so it was straightforward.

Advertisement