Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flat scones

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi I made some cheese scones today. They were lovely but unfortunately they were more like crumpets than scones as they did not rise for me. I used self raising flour... Anyone know what might have been the problem? Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Too much kneading maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

This works better here OP :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Your flour might have been old. Even with new flour, there's probably not enough raising agent in self-raising flour for scones. Try using plain flour and adding baking powder yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

How thick did you cut them? I have found most people roll scone dough far too flat and expect it to rise a huge amount. They should be at least 1" high to start with, I do them even thicker, usually to the depth of the metal scone cutter I use.

Nothing wrong with adding an extra bit of baking powder to the self raising flour too especially with an added ingredient like cheese.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

And they need to go into the oven ASAP, no sitting around letting the baking agent do it's thing at low temperature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lemeister

Another tip to get scones rising is to warm your oven tray before putting the scones on it. And also use warm milk/buttermilk rather than cold. Mix as little as possible once you add your liquid and work quickly to get them in the oven quicksmart!

Advertisement