Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People holding pointing signs on Grafton St

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Just wanted to get peoples' opinion on the guys holding the signs pointing to shops off Grafton St.

I think it looks really tacky myself. On the other hand it's creating a bit of extra employment.

Grafton St looks more tacky in general now with the new paving and the majority of shops being international chain stores, so maybe it's just par the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Got a lovely breakfast in o neills this morning as I stumbled down grafton st with an awful head on me. Was contemplating a burger king until I saw the guy with the sign for o neills

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They've always been there as far as I can remember......

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Been people doing that for at least 20 years, both Grafton Street and O'Connell Street. First one I ever remember seeing was for some fortune teller charlatan place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My feelings about it all depends on the sign and the individual holding it... Old school guy (and I think they are always guys) with a decent sign... adds a bit of character to the place...
    Bored looking scruffily dressed sort fiddling with a smartphone half holding a naff sign... looks a bit tacky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I saw one recently with the sign in tatters and peeling so much so you couldn't read the business it was advertising. I was almost tempted to go up to the holder and point it out....

It's most likely a crappy job (particularly in winter) but fair dues to the people doing it and getting out of bed to earn an honest wage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There have been people holding up signs on Grafton Street for decades - certainly as far back as the 1970s. It must be a crappy job but as another poster opined they are earning an honest wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Here - has anyone seen that guy that has tape over his mouth and wears paper signs on his jumpers? The signs say things like MURDER PROSTITUTION CANNIBALISM. Ye know that guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Sometimes there's a lad on the central median of N11 advertising the Blackrock Market. I think that looks terrible. Not as bad as the young guys going around Blackrock Village with a megaphone advertising the market.

Overall I think tacky.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would love to see the ones that break dance and have cool moves throwing boards in the air and spinning them.

Now that will get attention don't get how the guys sitting there get any business as I wouldn't even look up at sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

La_Gordy wrote: »
    Here - has anyone seen that guy that has tape over his mouth and wears paper signs on his jumpers? The signs say things like MURDER PROSTITUTION CANNIBALISM. Ye know that guy?

i can never figure out what he he is on about. Then again i dont like to hang around long enough to read his signs in case he starts talking to me

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 markhogan

i see him most days i still havn a clue what he is about to be honest he just walks around the city with a sign on and tape over his mouth. Has always baffled me.

Atleast he got a good than during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

markhogan wrote: »
    i see him most days i still havn a clue what he is about to be honest he just walks around the city with a sign on and tape over his mouth. Has always baffled me.

Atleast he got a good than during the summer

I see him regularly enough. He hangs around outside where I have my smoke break. Eyesight is not what it used to be but the gist of it is institutional abuse. Whether he was a victim or not I don't know but suspect so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

I see this week on Grafton St there's a Jedward looking guy holding a carboard cut out version of something very like himself, advertising some Dorian suits place. Made a mental note never too get a suit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Stevecw wrote: »
    I see this week on Grafton St there's a Jedward looking guy holding a carboard cut out version of something very like himself, advertising some Dorian suits place. Made a mental note never too get a suit there.

You sure it isn't one of them? They've been fairly quiet the last while

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭francois

MYOB wrote: »
    Been people doing that for at least 20 years, both Grafton Street and O'Connell Street. First one I ever remember seeing was for some fortune teller charlatan place.

They have, I used to hold the Freebird records sign on Saturdays and during xmas in the '80's (the entrance was upstairs beside the newsagent at the bottom of the street)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

francois wrote: »
    They have, I used to hold the Freebird records sign on Saturdays and during xmas in the '80's (the entrance was upstairs beside the newsagent at the bottom of the street)

I thought for a minute there i knew you until you said upstairs. I went to school with the guy who used to hold the freebird sign when they moved to the basement of the newsagents near o'connell bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

walked past him yesterday, he was shouting some incoherent madness
    i wonder what his agenda is, if he has one, was very odd. i think he might need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Where does one apply for this type of job? I'm an upstanding individual.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, or at least give me a sign?

I didn't bring me coat...

ps Wilko Johnson "I've Seen The Signs" - great song.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

walked past him yesterday, he was shouting some incoherent madness
    i wonder what his agenda is, if he has one, was very odd. i think he might need help.

Shouting?! I've NEVER seen him without the tape on his mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

odyssey06 wrote: »
    My feelings about it all depends on the sign and the individual holding it... Old school guy (and I think they are always guys) with a decent sign... adds a bit of character to the place...
    Bored looking scruffily dressed sort fiddling with a smartphone half holding a naff sign... looks a bit tacky.

ah ye it's great if it is an old man.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Good for them. At least they are earning a wage

Advertisement