Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Office

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Is Open Office safe to download off the internet? I'm starting college and got a new mac. I've heard a few people talking about this Open Office and I wonder is is safe to download for free? It would save me a whole lot of money if it was legit as I wouldn't have to go buy Microsoft word! Any info on Open Office would be a great help :) thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Microsoft office is free this year for uni students . It is being set up atm . Check campus .ie for more details on this . I got an email from them today saying that the colleges are setting it up at the moment .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Is Open Office safe to download off the internet? I'm starting college and got a new mac. I've heard a few people talking about this Open Office and I wonder is is safe to download for free? It would save me a whole lot of money if it was legit as I wouldn't have to go buy Microsoft word! Any info on Open Office would be a great help :) thanks.

Open Office is completely legit and free to download and use.
    There is also a similar programme called Libre Office which may be more up to date.
    Check it out and see what you think.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A lot of universities/colleges give Office free part of Office 365. Check Dreamspark also if your college/university is on it (many are)- You might at the very least get Office 2007 on it.

OpenOffice.org is completely safe. I'd recommend LibreOffice over that though - seems to be overtaking Open Office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Also, there are browser-based versions of office. If you have a google / gmail account you can use google docs (drive).

And MS offer free (albeit slimmed down versions) of Office in the browser here: https://office.com/start/default.aspx (needs a microsoft login...also free to set up).

Advertisement