Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any female running clubs?

Options
  • 08-09-2014 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I want to join a female running club but for complete beginners, I've never really ran I'm overweight but want to start exercising, gyms can be dear & don't know where to start so thought maybe a running club to see how I go?
    I find gyms a bit intimidating as well so if it was a group of like minded girls it might be easier for me.
    Preferably in the south Dublin area from 7pm onwards, anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

HowDoI wrote: »
    I want to join a female running club but for complete beginners, I've never really ran I'm overweight but want to start exercising, gyms can be dear & don't know where to start so thought maybe a running club to see how I go?
    I find gyms a bit intimidating as well so if it was a group of like minded girls it might be easier for me.
    Preferably in the south Dublin area from 7pm onwards, anyone have any suggestions?

Most fit4life clubs are more female than male. I know what you mean when starting off. I used to run at night so no one would see me when starting off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

There are no female only clubs.
    A lot of clubs will have more women than men in some training groups, more men than women in others.
    You could try Brothers Pearse in Knocklyon. Come along to a session or two and see what you think.
    (but when I reread your post I see you are only starting to run. Most clubs will expect you to be able to run a bit before you join, unless they have a group for absolute beginners)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Maybe not female only running clubs but I've certainly seen female only running groups running through Fairview Park and along Clontarf. A quick Google hasn't enlightened me to what the group is. I know its not the southside but its not too far north side. Perhaps someone else here will know where the group originates.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fiona44

Look up 'forget the gym'. They might be what you're looking for. I've seen them training out along Sandymount strand They are an all women running group and seem to cater to complete beginners.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cailin_milis

There's a group called Run With Tina that meet in a few different locations. I think it's about €120 for the course. More of a business than a club, but it's aimed at complete beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Here you go

http://forgetthegym.ie/what-we-do/beginners-running/

They run in Sandymount as well as Clontarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Sloggers to Joggers is a women only running group, though they are based in Malahide

www.sloggerstojoggers.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

There's a group called Run With Tina that meet in a few different locations. I think it's about €120 for the course. More of a business than a club, but it's aimed at complete beginners.

I would advise against this personally. The great thing about running and running clubs is that it's typically a very cheap hobby. With most running clubs you could get a full years membership for the same price of one of these 8 week courses (our club for example is only €60 for the year). Plus some of the testimonials seem a little funny "learning to run has never been so much fun!!".

Who needs a class to teach them how to run? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

pconn062 wrote: »
    I would advise against this personally. The great thing about running and running clubs is that it's typically a very cheap hobby. With most running clubs you could get a full years membership for the same price of one of these 8 week courses (our club for example is only €60 for the year). Plus some of the testimonials seem a little funny "learning to run has never been so much fun!!".

If I could thank this post twice then I would:)

must contain myself... must not rant....

Seriously though there are loads of free options to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 cailin_milis

rom wrote: »
    must contain myself... must not rant....

Seriously though there are loads of free options to this.

I agree. Was just thinking that this might have been the group that the OP saw so I posted the response. As I said, it's a business rather than a club so there are many options out there

I agree. Was just thinking that this might have been the group that the OP saw so I posted the response. As I said, it's a business rather than a club so there are many options out there

It just annoys me that everyone knows about these companies and run5k with ray etc but no one would provide the following link

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/clubs/fit4life/find-a-fit4life-club

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Well maybe there is a lesson here for the athletic clubs and athletics Ireland.
    Promotion and advertising works.

I can think of at least four clubs within the south Dublin area that would be able to advise a beginner as to oprions, unfortunately the beginner cannot easily find this information, as evidenced by the original post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I know where you're coming from but what the OP stipulated is most accurately met by some of these groups to be honest. I've seen similarly groups who have idenfified this niche at home in Sligo and elsewhere. I wouldn't be too cycnical about these groups just because people make a living from them.

Fit4life is orientated towards people trying to get fit and lose weight, and for that reason it may be less intimidating (than a club) for a beginner. As Peterx said they (and the hosting clubs) need to get that message out there.

For many women and possibly for the OP one of the women only groups might be a better option. She has all the info she needs here, and this is indeed quite a useful thread.

Lastly I wouldn't knock the "learning to run" slogan. Were all learning to run in a sense. You can do it on your own but it surely is more fun in a group setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

rom wrote: »
    It just annoys me that everyone knows about these companies and run5k with ray etc but no one would provide the following link

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/clubs/fit4life/find-a-fit4life-club

And I just followed that link and the page doesn't display properly - you can't make out the email addresses or contact person. And I see then that there is no fit4life club anywhere near me but the page helpfully suggests you contact your local development team about setting up a new fit4life club - contact for my area - TBC ???.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Given the OP's request, those running groups are ideal. There's a very good reason why such groups exist despite the abundance of running clubs.

I can't see how anyone can knock the run with Ray 5kms.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Given the OP's request, those running groups are ideal. There's a very good reason why such groups exist despite the abundance of running clubs.

I can't see how anyone can knock the run with Ray 5kms.
    I ain't knocking it but more the lack of advertising of fit4life is my issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

T runner wrote: »
    I know where you're coming from but what the OP stipulated is most accurately met by some of these groups to be honest. I've seen similarly groups who have idenfified this niche at home in Sligo and elsewhere. I wouldn't be too cycnical about these groups just because people make a living from them.

Fit4life is orientated towards people trying to get fit and lose weight, and for that reason it may be less intimidating (than a club) for a beginner. As Peterx said they (and the hosting clubs) need to get that message out there.

For many women and possibly for the OP one of the women only groups might be a better option. She has all the info she needs here, and this is indeed quite a useful thread.

Lastly I wouldn't knock the "learning to run" slogan. Were all learning to run in a sense. You can do it on your own but it surely is more fun in a group setting.

I have no issue with Fit4life groups, a lot of athletics clubs offer these for as little as €2 a week. It's the "learn to run" with us for €128 for eight weeks that I have an issue with. Personally, I learnt to run before I was two years old, I might still be learning to train, but no adult needs to be taught how to run. Also if the OP has a long term commitment to take up running then these groups aren't really an option unless you are happy to spend up to €800 a year on these courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I have no issue with Fit4life groups, a lot of athletics clubs offer these for as little as €2 a week. It's the "learn to run" with us for €128 for eight weeks that I have an issue with. Personally, I learnt to run before I was two years old, I might still be learning to train, but no adult needs to be taught how to run. Also if the OP has a long term commitment to take up running then these groups aren't really an option unless you are happy to spend up to €800 a year on these courses.

I think the €2 a week is the problem here.

Halfway between €2 and €128 it's clickety click, 66. Complete novices don't see the value of a €16 eight week course. If it costs €128 it must be good. If a running club can do it for half of that great stuff.

If your (not your club, any club) club charged €64 for the 8 week course and advertised it properly you would get a steady stream of both income and new clubmates.

At week 7 of the 8 weeks tell them they can have another 44 weeks of training for €65 and hey presto, new clubmates for a fairly standard €130 a year.

Sometimes it's all about how you wrap it up.

And you also need to wrap it up for the poor club volunteers who will be running these eight week courses.
    Tell them one of two things depending on their needs;

A - the monies raised go directly to the juniors/clubhouse development
    B - If the new runners pay the second €65 and join the club the volunteer gets the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 HowDoI

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
    I am not actually from Dublin so I didn't know what facilities were available only moved here in recent months.
    Athletic clubs would be intimidating to get into and I was thinking some kind of a club as they would encourage you and keep you motivated, I've done things before alone and never stuck to them so my thought process was if I joined or paid money towards something I'd make sure I went and availed of it, it's a hard step to take and I want to do it now so wanted all the motivation I could get.
    I do know how to run I know we all learned as toddlers it's the routine of a
    Club and the encouragement within a group of like minded individuals is what I was looking for.
    I'll look into a few more options now thank you for the advice, google wasn't a huge help for absolute beginners but now I have a few more links to try

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

If you are lacking self esteem, motivation and not very fast a running club is going to be very intimidating for any beginner to join and those groups while expensive I think are ideal.
    Its all good and well suggesting fit 4 life but running those programmes depend on volunteers within the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

When I started running first, I got a couch to 5k app for my phone and started from there. You play music and every so often app tells you to walk or run, and over 8-10 weeks it builds you up slowly to the point you can run for 30 mins/5k by the end.

Its brilliant and tried and tested by millions of people [literally at this point]

Personally, I only joined a club much much later...

+1 for the couch to 5k app. It's fantastic. You can do the workouts on days and times that suit yourself and you can repeat days to suit yourself or skip a session if you have a niggle etc.
    Best of all is that it's completely free :)

Well now, I did run with tina, and I learned how to run. Yup. I did!

I learned how to breath, I learned about posture, foot placement, I learned how to pace myself. I learned a lot of things that the app wouldn't have taught me and I had tried it before.

I learned all of that less than six months ago (when I couldn't run 500 metres) and I'm doing the Dublin half marathon next weekend.

So yeh, I'd recommend run with tina or similar. Definitely :)

I learned how to breath, I learned about posture, foot placement, I learned how to pace myself. I learned a lot of things that the app wouldn't have taught me and I had tried it before.

I learned all of that less than six months ago (when I couldn't run 500 metres) and I'm doing the Dublin half marathon next weekend.

I learned all those things from the app and achieved the same result as yourself :)
    Just saying. ..
    but of course the op should do whatever helps most to motivate herself and if that means spending money on a course then so be it cause let's face it, everyone should run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Meetup.com might have a group in your area

She knows her stuff alright.

sbp-377x1024.jpg

Ososlo wrote: »
    I learned all those things from the app and achieved the same result as yourself :)
    Just saying. ..
    but of course the op should do whatever helps most to motivate herself and if that means spending money on a course then so be it cause let's face it, everyone should run :)

You must have a much better app than the one I had as there was very little by way of "coaching" on mine. If there is all that info on them, that's brilliant.

Of course most people haven't gone to a class to learn how to run, but if the OP is looking for a class to help to help her get there, then I would recommend run with tina. I needed the extra push, as I had absolutely no belief that I could run any distance because any time I had tried, I had failed.

Honestly though, it was the best €120 I've ever spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

groovyg wrote: »
    If you are lacking self esteem, motivation and not very fast a running club is going to be very intimidating for any beginner to join and those groups while expensive I think are ideal.
    Its all good and well suggesting fit 4 life but running those programmes depend on volunteers within the clubs.

I completely disagree. There might be some clubs out there that only contain fast people, but a lot of clubs have a wide mix of people. Deciding to go to that first session is a big step, but that's true of a commercial running group too. The idea of a running club is more intimidating than the actuality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Everybody is not the same, my friend is quite a good triathlete yet only was learning how to run better recently, and whose to say you are running well if it only hurts you a few years later?

Whatever works for you works, don't knock others peoples method. A class is also motivation and support. (I know there are free clubs but having somebody assess you an encourage you in particular is good)

Advertisement