Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any female running clubs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Some Kind of Wizard

Everybody is not the same, my friend is quite a good triathlete yet only was learning how to run better recently, and whose to say you are running well if it only hurts you a few years later?

Whatever works for you works, don't knock others peoples method. A class is also motivation and support. (I know there are free clubs but having somebody assess you an encourage you in particular is good)

A club will trump a class in pretty much any regard be it support and motivation, or from a technical standpoint on running technique.

A club will trump a class in pretty much any regard be it support and motivation, or from a technical standpoint on running technique.

Why do you think that? Genuine question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I'd imagine that the technical information you'd receive from a club coach would be far superior.
    The instructors in tina's classes aren't qualified running coaches and most of them don't have an awful lot of running experience.
    To be an instructor you just have to hold any kind of fitness qualification and not a specifically running qualification. I would imagine coaches in clubs would be qualified running coaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Typically they will have qualifications from Athletics Ireland specifically in the area of running coaching (as opposed to fitness instruction). And in nearly every instance I know, they will have been involved in athletics at a high level for a long period of time. And as everybody is competing for the same club, motivation and support are high on the agenda at most clubs.

I'm not knocking these classes by the way, I'm sure they work for some people. I just find it slightly odd that these companies are charging pretty big money to do the same thing that an athletics club will do for a fraction of the cost. Also I find it slightly disconcerting that people with no qualifications are commenting on things like "posture and foot placement". But for complete beginner like the OP who wants to train exclusively with other beginner women, they might be the best place to start before moving to an athletics club or fit4life group.

Maybe the instructor I had was an exception, but she is a qualified running coach, with a BS in Sports Science, and has been running for over 10 years.
    pconn062 wrote: »
    Also I find it slightly disconcerting that people with no qualifications are commenting on things like "posture and foot placement"..

Well I'm sorry that you find it disconcerting, I'm only commenting on what I learned from my instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I don't agree with that from the point of view of a beginner. The fact that a club either fails to attract or is indifferent to attracting beginner athletes, points to a lack of expertise in the field of taking non-runners and getting them into fitness and exercise. Not blaming the clubs, but its the reality. The classes succeed here where the clubs fail.
    Sure there is more expertise in technical matters in clubs. However, there is more expertise in providing a non-intimidating, fun, friendly experience (that will include getting fit) in the classes and that is the requirement.

They pretty much always trump the clubs in this regard for that demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Arguably the greater expertise is in advertising and presentation, rather than what happens at the session

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Maybe the instructor I had was an exception, but she is a qualified running coach, with a BS in Sports Science, and has been running for over 10 years.

Well I'm sorry that you find it disconcerting, I'm only commenting on what I learned from my instructor.

I didn't mean I find it disconcerting that you were commenting on those things, but that the instructor was!

I didn't mean I find it disconcerting that you were commenting on those things, but that the instructor was!

Ah I see, but as I said, she is qualified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

To be fair going from the posters comments it seems that the instructor in question does seem to have qualifications in the field and a bit of a background in running.
    As an accredited Exercise Physiologist I have experience in postural analysis, injury prevention

However I do see the concern as there are a number of the instructors who would seem to be relatively new to running themselves.

You could argue that some clubs don't have the qualifications either as the AAI Coaching is a relatively new addition however this does not on its own discredit their coaching ability as I know a coach from my club who managed to produce a handful of Irish International athletes as well as Irish record holders without as much as an Athletics Leaders qualification.

The benefit of a club is that you have a pool of expertise and experience that transcends the volunteer instructors as you get input from other club members.
    However, there is more expertise in providing a non-intimidating, fun, friendly experience (that will include getting fit) in the classes and that is the requirement.

I don't agree on this point. I think once an athlete makes the approach to a club the atmosphere meets all the criteria probably more than a business setting through the passion of the volunteer coaches. I think the problem comes down to the marketing of it to the general public in terms of external perception (before they ever get near the club or the group itself)

• Advertisement

Ah I see, but as I said, she is qualified.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if she is or isn't as the bottom line is that you don't need someone to teach you how to run or breath or pace yourself. If it was a lot cheaper or free then I'd have more time for it but it seems like a crazy amount of money.
    But if it helps people get motivated and stick to it then what harm.
    I wonder what percentage of graduates keep it up.
    I know a few women who took up running and did it in a small group. They would only train with the group and never on their own. The group gradually faded onto oblivion and none of them kept it up as they were all afraid to run on their own. I think it's important to learn how to run on your own too in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ososlo wrote: »
    They would only train with the group and never on their own.

Some women are the opposite. Not naming names or anything....:P

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Some women are the opposite. Not naming names or anything....:P

Who's the only one who's still running? ;)

Who's the only one who's still running? ;)

Maybe you should set up a thread on boards that helps out novice runners to run a marathon or something?

Oh hang on......

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Maybe you should set up a thread on boards that helps out novice runners to run a marathon or something?

Oh hang on......

How about I start charging:D

How about I start charging:D

I'd say around €128 for eight weeks to start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Would agree that clubs are a great place to start for beginners, whatever your age or standard. They're organisations full of people donating time to run or helping other people run; it's the most supportive environment you're going to find! Try out the Fit4Life group in your local club - it'll either be full of people who are themselves starting off or people who know what it's like to be starting off.

Separately, I don't see what's contentious about running being something you can teach. Surely, it's still a technical sport, especially for adult beginners. Maybe I wouldn't have to do this if I ran when I was younger, but I'm always working on my form and picking up drills/tips to correct posture - still loads to do but I've found attention to the technical detail of running has improved my times. Ironically, I've got most of that stuff from reading online rather than through club coaching!

Sacksian wrote: »
    Would agree that clubs are a great place to start for beginners, whatever your age or standard. They're organisations full of people donating time to run or helping other people run; it's the most supportive environment you're going to find! Try out the Fit4Life group in your local club - it'll either be full of people who are themselves starting off or people who know what it's like to be starting off.

Separately, I don't see what's contentious about running being something you can teach. Surely, it's still a technical sport, especially for adult beginners. Maybe I wouldn't have to do this if I ran when I was younger, but I'm always working on my form and picking up drills/tips to correct posture - still loads to do but I've found attention to the technical detail of running has improved my times. Ironically, I've got most of that stuff from reading online rather than through club coaching!

re the teaching thing, yes I agree in that people can teach you to improve your running form on a running course but I'm fairly sure these courses like chi courses would be run by people who are professionally qualified in the areas. In the website under discussion, to be an instructor, you don't need a running/coaching qualification. It's more about passion and enthusiasm for fitness and you have to posess some kind of fitness qualification but not necessarily a running one and the instructors are all not that experienced. Some obviously are as a poster above has stated through personal experience.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter if she is or isn't as the bottom line is that you don't need someone to teach you how to run or breath or pace yourself. If it was a lot cheaper or free then I'd have more time for it but it seems like a crazy amount of money.

Well it was suggested that it did matter, if there's nothing to learn about running, then why would one become a running coach? Perhaps I'm picking you up wrong, but to go from saying that you don't need someone to teach you to run, to saying that someone isn't qualified enough to teach you to run, seems odd.

I did need someone to teach me breathing and to pace myself, it's exactly what I needed in fact.
    But if it helps people get motivated and stick to it then what harm.

Exactly :)
    I wonder what percentage of graduates keep it up.
    I know a few women who took up running and did it in a small group. They would only train with the group and never on their own. The group gradually faded onto oblivion and none of them kept it up as they were all afraid to run on their own. I think it's important to learn how to run on your own too in the beginning.

I've genuinely no idea whatsoever, I didn't keep in touch with anyone in my class. The reason I did Run with tina was because a girl I worked with recommended it, she went from hating the thoughts of running, to loving it and I figured if she could do it, I could. She still runs 3 times a week and did the Dun Laoghaire 10km a few weeks ago, so there's no doubt it has worked for us at least.

Part of the course is running one day a week on your own, and my instructor recommended that you do exactly that, for the reasons you outline.

Look, I wasn't trying to start an argument about the rights and wrongs of a group like run with tina. My experience has been extremely positive and going by the OP's details she may benefit from similar.

I recently started a thread about whether or not I'm ready to join a club, and that's even taking into account the fact that I run around 40km a week, so I still think clubs are a little intimidating, and there isn't a hope I'd have joined one 6 months ago. I do understand how, if you're part of a club, you would find it a bit difficult to understand that - I really do - but at the end of the day, if it gets people to love running then as you said, what harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭frogstar

I'm part of one of the bigger running clubs that cater for all levels.

While it is a great club, the Fit4life gets neglected with no real plan. As mentioned previously, it is dependent on volunteers and they come and go but mainly the girls (mainly female) are left to fend for themselves

I did a couch to 5k course. It was v cheap and great motivation. Now I'm in in the club. Not sure I would have stuck with running had I went directly to club as when I did join they had me running 10k on first week when 5k was the longest run before.

So while run with Tina may sound expensive (I paid 50 euro for my couch to 5k) I do think it's worth it . I tried the app but I'm the type of person where group running motivates me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'd imagine that the technical information you'd receive from a club coach would be far superior.
    The instructors in tina's classes aren't qualified running coaches and most of them don't have an awful lot of running experience.
    To be an instructor you just have to hold any kind of fitness qualification and not a specifically running qualification. I would imagine coaches in clubs would be qualified running coaches.

I suppose it depends on the class. I did Catherina McKiernans course, and more so than the chi running, I found her motivational tips and form feedback so helpful.

re the OP, I'd say for beginners, a group (whether club, informal group, training group, Fit for Life, paid class) of any sort would be best. It really gives you the incentive to get out and train! A few women who joined our clubs meet and train group had come from Run with Tina. It got them started and they made friends etc and kept up running together and then joined a club!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Auntie Matter

I started running in January doing the free Get Running programme in the Irish Times, which was provided by the people who operate Forget The Gym. Got from being barely able to run for a bus to 10K in 6 months. All the info is on the Irish Times website under Life and Style / Get Running. There's a couch to 5k, a 5k to 10k and a new programme starting next week for people who have got to 5k, want to keep up the running, but don't want to start a 10k programme yet.

I signed up for the weekly emails which were great to motivate me to get my runners on and out the door. This might be an option for the OP...personally, I prefer running by myself as I'm so slow, local snails have been known to move faster and I'd never be able to keep up with an organised group.

ecoli wrote: »
    I don't agree on this point. I think once an athlete makes the approach to a club the atmosphere meets all the criteria probably more than a business setting through the passion of the volunteer coaches. I think the problem comes down to the marketing of it to the general public in terms of external perception (before they ever get near the club or the group itself)

This is not an athlete making an approach. This is a complete beginner looking to take up running, who wants to do it in a non-intimidating, female only, environment with people exactly like her. This is a niche (a huge one) with requirements that clubs unfortunately do not fulfill. Fit for Life aims at male and females this way but doesnt and cant meet all of the requirements.
    Marketing is an issue, but not the principle one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

T runner wrote: »
    This is not an athlete making an approach. This is a complete beginner looking to take up running, who wants to do it in a non-intimidating, female only, environment with people exactly like her. This is a niche (a huge one) with requirements that clubs unfortunately do not fulfill. Fit for Life aims at male and females this way but doesnt and cant meet all of the requirements.

Surely you are getting into semantics here, everyone who endeavours to become more active through running would constitute an athlete regardless of level.

Plenty of Fit4Life groups are set up in a way that actually have a female only group for beginners. I know in my own club the coaches go as far as being the back marker to ensure that no one is running on their own regardless of ability. While the mission statement of Fit4Life may not meet all requirements this is a general standard and there are plenty of clubs who go above and beyond this to ensure the right atmosphere that would meet the OP's parameters would not dismiss it as a viable option.

If there were reports of new runners going to clubs and particularly Fit4Life groups and not being made welcome, that would be a problem with the club environment.
    But it seems to be more that new runners assume that clubs are scary places full of elites where they won't be welcome, and would rather pay through the nose for something that sounds less scary. That's an image problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

RayCun wrote: »
    If there were reports of new runners going to clubs and particularly Fit4Life groups and not being made welcome, that would be a problem with the club environment.

A Fit4Life group that doesn't welcome beginners would be a very bizarre thing indeed. I cannot imagine this being the case anywhere.
    RayCun wrote:
    But it seems to be more that new runners assume that clubs are scary places full of elites where they won't be welcome, and would rather pay through the nose for something that sounds less scary. That's an image problem.

The perception of clubs being for elites is definitely a problem, but also for the most part completely untrue. With a couple of exceptions, most clubs would be only too delighted to have beginners join up. However, it is clearly the clubs themselves that have to rectify that perception.

ecoli wrote: »
    Surely you are getting into semantics here, everyone who endeavours to become more active through running would constitute an athlete regardless of level.

Many of the runners this forum who have been running for years my not even consider themselves an athlete. I have always wondered if Im a runner and/or athlete because I associate athletics with track and filed.

I personally wouldn't agree that someone who has never run before and approaches a club is an athlete.

The point is though that the assumption you are making is that they are aspiring athletes. They aren't. They want to exercise more in a guaranteed female only, non-intimidating, environment with other like minded women of similar standard.

Plenty of Fit4Life groups are set up in a way that actually have a female only group for beginners. I know in my own club the coaches go as far as being the back marker to ensure that no one is running on their own regardless of ability. While the mission statement of Fit4Life may not meet all requirements this is a general standard and there are plenty of clubs who go above and beyond this to ensure the right atmosphere that would meet the OP's parameters would not dismiss it as a viable option.

What your saying is that some clubs might have female only groups where coaches go as far as being a back marker. Other clubs might not go as far, and as Frogstar pointed out many don't.
    So the actuality is that FitforLIfe clubs officially offer a mixed beginners group in a mixed club, which may or may not have female only groups, where the slowest runners may or may not have to fend for themselves.
    No amount of marketing will make that product more attractive to the demographic in question.

The running groups with female organisers understand this demographic very well, and have tailored their classes to suit.
    RayCun wrote: »

The OP did say that she wanted beginner only but also said (twice) that it needed to be female only. No amount of image changing is going to turn a mixed group in a mixed club into a female only group and club.

Large gyms have female only gyms for this demographic. There are massive female only races. The organisers of the female only groups understand this well.

Meet and Train might be the best lowcost fit for the OP. But Im not sure when these groups begin Mini Marathon training.

Ray the OP did say that she wanted beginner only but also said (twice) that it needed to be female only. No amount of image changing is going to turn a mixed group in a mixed club into a female only group and club.

She also said she wanted a club.
    Run with Tina and forgetthegym are commercial organisations
    sloggerstojoggers seem more clublike, on a social level at least, but without all those insurance and registration things.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

This is a complete beginner looking to take up running, who wants to do it in a non-intimidating, female only, environment with people exactly like her. This is a niche (a huge one) with requirements that clubs unfortunately do not fulfill. Fit for Life aims at male and females this way but doesnt and cant meet all of the requirements.

I would have thought fit 4 life were non intimidating! I started back running 2 years and have ran with fit 4 life groups in 2 different clubs. Both very welcoming and had lots of people who could not run very far or fast. Most runners were women too! A couple of my friends all wanted to join one of the clubs once they seen me out running with large group of good looking women :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

HowDoI wrote: »
    I want to join a female running club but for complete beginners, I've never really ran I'm overweight but want to start exercising, gyms can be dear & don't know where to start so thought maybe a running club to see how I go?
    I find gyms a bit intimidating as well so if it was a group of like minded girls it might be easier for me.
    Preferably in the south Dublin area from 7pm onwards, anyone have any suggestions?

hey OP,

not sure whether you are still following this thread, but the Blackrock AC is (at least was, when I was a member) a ladies only club. In Carysfort park, near Blackrock so might even suit? really lovely coach and very friendly bunch of girls (I mean adults, all adults, of all ages) with varying abilities. As the sessions are held in the park, you can run as little and as slow as you like - you won't be left behind. Unless things have dramatically changed since i left, it could really work for you. The membership fees are also quite low I believe.
    http://blackrockathleticclub.com/training/

Advertisement