Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Replacing Iphone 5 screen DIY

• 09-09-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I cracked the screen on my Iphone5 yesterday... Its not terrible but enough to bother me to want to fix it.

I see a lot of DIY kits on amazon that include a new screen and the tools required to replace it.

Has anyone gone down this route? It would only cost me half the price of bringing it into a repair shop..

Are the quality of the screens any good from amazon... I cant imagine there new? It it an easy job to do the replacement urself? I don't want to end up totally ruining the internal electronics..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

subscriber wrote: »
    Hey,

I cracked the screen on my Iphone5 yesterday... Its not terrible but enough to bother me to want to fix it.

I see a lot of DIY kits on amazon that include a new screen and the tools required to replace it.

Has anyone gone down this route? It would only cost me half the price of bringing it into a repair shop..

Are the quality of the screens any good from amazon... I cant imagine there new? It it an easy job to do the replacement urself? I don't want to end up totally ruining the internal electronics..

Thanks

I changed one recently and said never again after it, very messy with little cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

OSI wrote: »
    It's an utter pain in the hole.

+1 leave to experts. It's a pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Piss easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Piss easy
    Piss-taker.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Did those of who successfully replaced to a new screen find any post installation problems like screen lag... Not being as responsive as original screen ect...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

I've replaced screens on iphone 4 and 5. Much easier on the 5 but for the difference in price between a good screen and getting it fixed don't really think it's worth it (and the OH broke 3 in 3 months so I gave up). Cables and screws are not the issue but most of the cheaper replacement screens don't come with the "carrier" for the camera and the proximity sensor which you then have to pry of the old screen and glue onto the new one. Don't know what price you get quoted but shouldn't cost much more than €80 to get fixed.
    Quality of screens varies, really depends on were you buy/how much you spend, didn't experience any lag or other issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Alanm

Replaced one yesterday in about an hour, it's reasonably straightforward once you get a decent youtube video to step you through the process. Screen I got off ebay was ok and does the job - wouldn't think the quality was quite as good as the original, touch screen appears perfect. Turned out the body of the phone I was changing has been bashed so many times that I had to bend it back to allow the new screen to fit in which caused a bit more cosmetic damage.

All in all, handy enough to do if you are patient and can handle tiny screws, but a lot of bother to go through to save yourself about 50 quid. When my misses breaks her's the next time, she's bringing it to a shop to fix!

Ok. Have done a fair bit of research today on the issue. Firstly watched two very comprehensive videos on screen replacements on youtube, first of screen installation that came with forward facing camera lens and home button attached.. Looked manageable. Second video was replacement screen without any buttons pre installed. This required the user to detach home key and forward facing camera lens and transplant them on to the new screen, I wouldn't dare go near this method. Far too fiddly for my liking and I can see a disastrous outcome being imminent if i tried.

I`ve priced around and have found a local phone shop that will provide a replacement screen including installation for 70 euros. Alternatively, I found a website that provides screens with buttons attached but there clearly cheap Chinese made for 45 euros including postage.

http://www.tmart.com/iPhone-LCD-Display/?cc=eur&warehouse=uk&gclid=CIW-yITH18ACFUtk2wodXRQASw

Anyone dealt with them? ... Now it`s a toss up really because i cant imagine any of the phone repair shops selling high quality screens themselves, id imagine their installing the same cheap Chinese manufactured screens as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Try syncron.ie - you can either buy the screen for the same price a tmart or pay an extra €10-20 for them to fit it. (Just as an fyi they come across as being kind of rude on the phone but are sound enough)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

tk123 wrote: »
    Try syncron.ie - you can either buy the screen for the same price a tmart or pay an extra €10-20 for them to fit it. (Just as an fyi they come across as being kind of rude on the phone but are sound enough)

I seriously doubt they would fit it that cheap. Are you trying to say they replace an iPhone 5 screen for €60

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭tk123

guil wrote: »
    I seriously doubt they would fit it that cheap. Are you trying to say they replace an iPhone 5 screen for €60

Sorry the prices are ex-vat on the website! Still cheap though - it's €45 to replace an iphone 4 screen and the screen on it's own is €28... Iphone 5 screen is €53.44 so another €20 to fit it? When I was there there was a steady stream of guys coming in buying parts for their own repair businesses!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I done one on my daughters iphone 4 .........never ever again!!

The 1st screen I got didn't work or was installed improper the 2nd worked it by the time I had taking it apart twice I was missing screws etc plus it took ages each time!!

DID electrical have really good service on repair and very fast

I would recommend them " the sales guy file me they were original screens'
    Somehow doubt that at the price they charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

cramp wrote: »

The 1st screen I got didn't work or was installed improper the 2nd worked it by the time I had taking it apart twice I was missing screws etc plus it took ages each time!!

iphone 4 is completely different and the whole phone has to be dissasembled to change the screen. It's not possible to get an original screen.

cramp wrote: »

DID was a good suggestion.. I`m living in galway so have no direct access to any Dublin outlets but DID quoted 75 euros all in if I drop it into their galway store including postage and returns to galway. Sounds good to me..

Advertisement