Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only half of back garden for sale?

Options
  • 09-09-2014 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Vendor of a house wants to keep the back half of the back garden and its shed as a workshop that they can access via a lane way behind the house.

Can anyone tell me if this complicates the sale a lot and therefore delays the sale by any substantial amount?

I feel it’s a property to stay clear of but not sure if I am overreacting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Or they build another house on the plot?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

ye i'd give it a miss I think unless supply in that area is restricted and your really set on the place

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

Could you ask to buy all the property.
    But the give them a lease of 20/30 years €1 a year, so the can access there work shed, but this leaves you in control as they can't sell it on in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How big is the garden - can you build a fence at the border?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Also worth remembering that chances are the electricity to this shed is i imagine from the house supply and will run up the house meter. Secondly not sure how insurance works here too, if for example you buy it all and rent / lease it back to him for a nominal fee, etc? Things you would need to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I think this house is around the corner from me. Her daughter has a business that she runs out of the shed at the back or something? Anyway, takes the place from being an attractive property to something far less so. I don't understand why they have done this as it must be taking a load off the value of the house. You really have no control over what would happen in the future - dirt, noise etc. No to mention parking issues, anything could end up going in there. Would they pay their own water and electricity rates? Does the thing have a toilet? If it's the same place then the back garden is already pretty tiny. Would put me off anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would walk away.
    Shed / Workshop today, two story 2 bed house in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Weyhey

e.r wrote: »
    Could you ask to buy all the property.
    But the give them a lease of 20/30 years €1 a year, so the can access there work shed, but this leaves you in control as they can't sell it on in the future

Good idea.

I think this house is around the corner from me. Her daughter has a business that she runs out of the shed at the back or something? Anyway, takes the place from being an attractive property to something far less so. I don't understand why they have done this as it must be taking a load off the value of the house. You really have no control over what would happen in the future - dirt, noise etc. No to mention parking issues, anything could end up going in there. Would they pay their own water and electricity rates? Does the thing have a toilet? If it's the same place then the back garden is already pretty tiny. Would put me off anyway!

Good points. While it may be easy enough to get their own electricity and gas meters getting their own water meters may be tricky.

How big is the garden - can you build a fence at the border?

Workshop is already there and would only require a small wall to the side to seal off garden leaving an ok sized garden attached to the house. Probably a little bit bigger than a garden you would get with a standard brand new house.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your comments. Lots of things to think about and that is even before the legalities of splitting the title etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not uncommon. Talk to your solicitor before you make a bid for anything different to what is offered. Make sure that the new boundary is to your satisfaction and will be paid for by the vendor and erected promptly. What are the arrangements for parking and accessing the rear garden? What does the council's Development Plan say about minimum back gardens, especially if you want to extend.

They would need to arrange their own utilities. Check the contract related to easements for cables, pies, etc. You could ask for conditions to be added regarding noise, etc.
    e.r wrote: »
    Could you ask to buy all the property. But the give them a lease of 20/30 years €1 a year, so the can access there work shed, but this leaves you in control as they can't sell it on in the future
    One has to be very careful in situations like this, as the tenant would be entitled to renew the lease, presumably at €1 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Weyhey wrote: »
    Vendor of a house wants to keep the back half of the back garden and its shed as a workshop that they can access via a lane way behind the house.
    Seems that they are not moving the workshop to where they are moving to sounds like they know it's noisy. Would avoid this one myself, as you'll have little recourse over noise in the future, as it could be argued that you knew the workshop is there. Say goodbye to any peaceful weekends in the back garden, as the workshop may be used, etc.

Personally, would avoid, or buy the entire garden including shed/workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Would definitely avoid.

If they are running a business out of there, it might invalidate their house insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,492 ✭✭✭Tow

How big will the remaining back garden be?

Check the local planning laws, most will say you have to have enough 'private space' i.e. back garden in relation to the size of the house.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the_syco wrote: »
    Seems that they are not moving the workshop to where they are moving to sounds like they know it's noisy. Would avoid this one myself, as you'll have little recourse over noise in the future, as it could be argued that you knew the workshop is there. Say goodbye to any peaceful weekends in the back garden, as the workshop may be used, etc.
    Do we even know what the workshop is used for? Normal noise rules still apply and the contract for the property could include specific stipulations
    3DataModem wrote: »
    Would definitely avoid.

If they are running a business out of there, it might invalidate their house insurance.

Why would the owner of the shed have insurance on the house? Surely they would have various commercial insurances?

Advertisement