Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Options

Options
  • 09-09-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We are looking for school recommendations that are either Protestant, multi-denominational or not religious at all (the preference really but not sure this will happen). I am American and have been living in Naas for three years. I'm finding it hard to get reviews on schools and information on their sites is so limited.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

schooldays.ie is good.

There will not be much choice and there maybe very long waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

There is a protestant school across the road from the old Tesco in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aks0204

Any parents out there with first hand experience? That is what I'm looking for. Schooldays.ie not helpful at all with reviews and the names of schools are in Irish. Also it contains incorrect information, for example the Irish school is nondenominational and on schooldays.ie it says Catholic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is Interdenominational.
    Educate Together schools are multi denominational and co-educational.
    I would ring all the school and ask for enrollment packs,then put his name down in all of them and decide nearer the time which suits and if you get places.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

You won't get a "not religious at all" school. Secular primary schools don't exist in Ireland. Yet.

As Moonbeam said, the gaelscoil in Naas is interdenominational, Catholic/Protestant. The school's website says that the school does prepare students for Catholic sacraments. How does that work? Do the non-Catholic kids just opt out? Are they segregated from the other kids for a Protestant-approved lesson? You might want to ask the principal.

I don't think Naas has a multidenominational school --- I think the closest would be the Educate Together in Newbridge. It has an excellent reputation but you might be at a disadvantage living outside the catchment if it is oversubscribed.

I don't know anything about the Protestant school (St David's?) in Naas but if your child is not baptised a Protestant that might be an issue when looking for admission. It was/is an issue with the Protestant school in Newbridge -- baptismal cert was a requirement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

aks0204 wrote: »
    Any parents out there with first hand experience? That is what I'm looking for. Schooldays.ie not helpful at all with reviews and the names of schools are in Irish. Also it contains incorrect information, for example the Irish school is nondenominational and on schooldays.ie it says Catholic.

If you mean Gael Scoil Nás na Ríogh at Piper's Hill, it's actually interdenominational. From their home page: "Gaelscoil Nás na Ríogh is an all Irish, Interdenominational Primary School. Both Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland religions are taught in the school".

I would add that in my opinion, at heart it is a Catholic school, but those of any faith (and no faith) are made to feel very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

sadie06 wrote: »
    If you mean Gael Scoil Nás na Ríogh at Piper's Hill, it's actually interdenominational.
    I would add that in my opinion, at heart it is a Catholic school, but those of any faith (and no faith) are made to feel very welcome.

This is the same as Scoil Bhride on the Sallins Rd, my 2 boys went through there, youngest now in 6th class and its a really good school with lots of faciltities and after school activities and feeds Pipers Hill College where my eldest now goes

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jamies15

You won't get a "not religious at all" school. Secular primary schools don't exist in Ireland. Yet.

As Moonbeam said, the gaelscoil in Naas is interdenominational, Catholic/Protestant. The school's website says that the school does prepare students for Catholic sacraments. How does that work? Do the non-Catholic kids just opt out? Are they segregated from the other kids for a Protestant-approved lesson? You might want to ask the principal.

I don't think Naas has a multidenominational school [B/]--- I think the closest would be the Educate Together in Newbridge. It has an excellent reputation but you might be at a disadvantage living outside the catchment if it is oversubscribed.

I don't know anything about the Protestant school (St David's?) in Naas but if your child is not baptised a Protestant that might be an issue when looking for admission. It was/is an issue with the Protestant school in Newbridge -- baptismal cert was a requirement.

It does, killashee is multi denominational as far as I know. Not sure what it's like as a school though.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

Jamies15 wrote: »
    It does, killashee is multi denominational as far as I know. Not sure what it's like as a school though.

I stand corrected! Forgot about Killashee. It made the news a couple of years ago for the wrong reasons. From the Dept of Ed School Inspection report:
    The Patron company engages in the practice of sending out admission forms accompanied by a letter requesting €2,000 as a “voluntary contribution” from parents which they are asked to pay on the enrolment of each child in the school. Furthermore, parents are also requested to give an undertaking to pay €350 per child annually to the school. A fee of €145, to cover the cost of employing a number of tutors, is also requested annually from the parents.

It is recommended that requests for large voluntary contributions cease without undue delay. It is also recommended that the practice of sending letters requesting voluntary contributions with application forms cease. If contributions are sought from parents/families, the level of contribution should be flexible and this flexibility should be clearly articulated in all policies and in practice so that all parents/families can have equal access to the school (subject to legitimate requirements of the enrolment/admissions policy).

I wonder if they did cease that practice. Anybody know? If not, it seems to me to be a quasi-private, elite school practically accessible only to children from wealthy families (yet supported by the taxes of families who cannot gain entry for their own children :mad:).

Advertisement