Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Data Protection Breach

Options
  • 09-09-2014 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

I had a very dubious exchange in webchat while trying to order Eircom eFibre a few of weeks ago, Aug 19th, they took all my personal details including bank account, passport number and secret questions etc.  I was promised that eFibre would be installed the following week so when I had no further contact I rang back on 26th Aug to see what status the order was in.  To my surprise, there was no record of the webchat on their system.  I was also informed that there was no way that eFibre could have been installed as the line in my house was not activated and it would take 10 working days for this to happen.  I was basically told that whatever was in the webchat was a load of lies.

So I immediately voiced my concern that this was a possible breach of Data Protection.  I had given very personal details over the web and they "lost" them.  Where did the details go?  How do I know the person on the other end was not writing down these details and discarding the info?  Was there an error on their systems?

I am in the process of filing this with the data commisioner as Eircom have not returned my mails, I logged a full complaint with one of the eircom reps who said he would forward on to a supervisor.  That was 2 weeks ago and no reply, not even confirmation that it was passed on after I asked for this on the 2nd September.

This is an appaling service from Eircom who obviously do not take these matters seriously.

Also, I am having second thoughts about switching to Eircom now, an engineer was supposed to call yesterday to enable the line and guess what, a no show after I had taken time off and all to wait around in the house.  I rang in to the call centre today and was assured that they would be in contact in the next 48hrs.  If this is not installed by Friday the order will be cancelled.

Copy of the webchat with details removed below:-

info: You are now connected with Liam
    Liam: Welcome to the eircom-sales webchat, my name is Liam how can I help you today?
    Me: hi Liam, I have an old eircom box in my house, how can i find out what number it was and what speed broadband I can get on it?
    Liam: May I have your full postal address please
    Me: xxxxxxxx,xxxxxxxx,xxxxxx, xxxxxxx, Co Westmeath
    Me: I was an old customer so my details may still be there
    Liam: One moment please, I'll check that for you...
    Liam: efibre is available speeds 12MB
    Me: Thats good, and that's unlimited download too
    Liam: Unlimited broadband allowance with talk off peak at €24 a month first 6 months and €48 thereafter.
    Me: Is that over an 18 month contract?
    Liam: 18 month contract
    Me: okay, what is the lead time if I order today?
    Liam: Order now we can install you on the 26th
    Me: okay, I'd like to go ahead with that, can you confirm here or do I need to ring in?
    Liam: I can make the order for you if you want Me, I will ask for the details over this chat.
    Liam: All chats are 128-byte SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encrypted.  This helps to protect the confidentiality of all information provided.
    Me: okay no problem
    Liam: Bear with me I will get the order ready.
    Liam: May I have the following please.
    Liam: Name on account,
    Liam: Mobile number,
    Liam: Email address
    Liam: date of birth.
    Me: Me, xxxxxxx, xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com, xx/xx/xx
    Liam: SI 26/08 ok for us to install this service? Am or PM?
    Me: PM preferably, after 3pm if possible?
    Liam: Yes
    Liam: Nationality,
    Liam: Residential Status (rent or own)
    Liam: What form of ID can you provide? With ID number.
    Liam: Occupation.
    Me: Irish, Own, Passport or Driv License, Telecoms Admin for xxxxxxxxxx.
    Liam: Passport is fine
    Me: do u need a scan or just the Passport Number?
    Liam: I just need ID Number
    Liam: We will not request a copy
    Me: PCxxxxxxxx
    Liam: We are now on the direct debit page. We require the details in IBAN and BIC however bank account number and sort code is fine.
    Me: Account no. xxxxxxxx and sort code xxxxxx
    Liam: Hi xxxxxx. That is no problem at all. I will certainly look into this for you now.
    Liam: Sorry I skipped :)
    Liam: we need to set up a Security question.. So memorable word or date? question and answer please.
    Me: Security question and answer is xxxxxxx
    Liam: Would you like your bill itemised?
    Liam: No extra charge
    Me: yes please
    Liam: Would you like your number to be listed in directory enquiries?
    Me: no thanks
    Liam: Name on bank account
    Me: xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxx
    Liam: Do you accept direct debit and general terms and conditions?
    Liam: I acknowledge and agree that this acceptance constitutes an instruction to my bank to pay direct debits of a variable amount from my bank account identified below at the request of eircom. I will inform the bank in writing if I wish to cancel this direct debit. I accept that direct debit details are required to avail of this product and my offer/account will be cancelled if these details are inaccurate or not accepted by the bank. Direct debit deductions will be taken from my account on or after the 14th day after the bill issue date.
    Liam: Please click here T&Cs
    Me: Yes I accept
    Liam: Thank you Me for your order
    Liam: Your order is being processed. Your reference number and a copy of your order details will be emailed to xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com shortly.
    Me: thats great, thanks for your help
    Liam: You're welcome, is there anything else I can help you with?
    Me: not at this time, have a nice day Liam, you've been very helpfull here
    Me: much appreciated
    Liam: Thank you for chatting today Me. We do value your comments & opinions so could you please take a moment to fill out the exit survey when you click on the “end chat” button. Also please continue to use our online website to keep up to date with any new promotions or offers we have available for you. Again thank you for chatting and have a nice day.
    Liam: You're welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    I had a very dubious exchange in webchat while trying to order Eircom eFibre a few of weeks ago, Aug 19th, they took all my personal details including bank account, passport number and secret questions etc.  I was promised that eFibre would be installed the following week so when I had no further contact I rang back on 26th Aug to see what status the order was in.  To my surprise, there was no record of the webchat on their system.  I was also informed that there was no way that eFibre could have been installed as the line in my house was not activated and it would take 10 working days for this to happen.  I was basically told that whatever was in the webchat was a load of lies.

So I immediately voiced my concern that this was a possible breach of Data Protection.  I had given very personal details over the web and they "lost" them.  Where did the details go?  How do I know the person on the other end was not writing down these details and discarding the info?  Was there an error on their systems?

I am in the process of filing this with the data commisioner as Eircom have not returned my mails, I logged a full complaint with one of the eircom reps who said he would forward on to a supervisor.  That was 2 weeks ago and no reply, not even confirmation that it was passed on after I asked for this on the 2nd September.

This is an appaling service from Eircom who obviously do not take these matters seriously.

Also, I am having second thoughts about switching to Eircom now, an engineer was supposed to call yesterday to enable the line and guess what, a no show after I had taken time off and all to wait around in the house.  I rang in to the call centre today and was assured that they would be in contact in the next 48hrs.  If this is not installed by Friday the order will be cancelled.

Liam: Welcome to the eircom-sales webchat, my name is Liam how can I help you today?
    Me: hi Liam, I have an old eircom box in my house, how can i find out what number it was and what speed broadband I can get on it?
    Liam: Unlimited broadband allowance with talk off peak at €24 a month first 6 months and €48 thereafter.
    Me: okay, I'd like to go ahead with that, can you confirm here or do I need to ring in?
    Liam: I can make the order for you if you want Me, I will ask for the details over this chat.
    Liam: All chats are 128-byte SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encrypted.  This helps to protect the confidentiality of all information provided.
    Liam: We are now on the direct debit page. We require the details in IBAN and BIC however bank account number and sort code is fine.
    Liam: Hi xxxxxx. That is no problem at all. I will certainly look into this for you now.
    Liam: we need to set up a Security question.. So memorable word or date? question and answer please.
    Liam: I acknowledge and agree that this acceptance constitutes an instruction to my bank to pay direct debits of a variable amount from my bank account identified below at the request of eircom. I will inform the bank in writing if I wish to cancel this direct debit. I accept that direct debit details are required to avail of this product and my offer/account will be cancelled if these details are inaccurate or not accepted by the bank. Direct debit deductions will be taken from my account on or after the 14th day after the bill issue date.
    Liam: Your order is being processed. Your reference number and a copy of your order details will be emailed to xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxx.com shortly.
    Liam: Thank you for chatting today Me. We do value your comments & opinions so could you please take a moment to fill out the exit survey when you click on the “end chat” button. Also please continue to use our online website to keep up to date with any new promotions or offers we have available for you. Again thank you for chatting and have a nice day.

Hi DVD-Lots

I can understand your concern and apologise that the order could not be found however from time to time orders can be issued in error and some errors be it on behalf of technical issues or agent error can make the order itself become void and untraceable. If you have reson to believe that your personal data has been compromised then obviously you are welcome to make a complaint to the data commissioner but this is ultimately at your discretion.

If you would like to PM me the name you placed your order in and address I will also attempt to locate it.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Hi DVD-Lots

I can understand your concern and apologise that the order could not be found however from time to time orders can be issued in error and some errors be it on behalf of technical issues or agent error can make the order itself become void and untraceable. If you have reson to believe that your personal data has been compromised then obviously you are welcome to make a complaint to the data commissioner but this is ultimately at your discretion.

If you would like to PM me the name you placed your order in and address I will also attempt to locate it.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan, Thanks for the response.  PM Sent regarding the order number.

Regarding the explanation above, this is simply not good enough.  I require a full RFO (Reason for Outage) on this matter to ensure my details haven't leaked somewhere.  I work in a call centre and deal with Data Protection issues on a daily basis as I am responsible for the Call Recordings and Data Backups.  We are required to fully explain an outage or error on the system if it relates to customers details.  This generic "oh something must have happened but it's okay" answer is simply not enough in this case.

Besides the fact that this was not only a "technical fault" but out and out lies by the operator, "Liam" needs a talking to in my opinion as he clearly led me down the garden path with his claims that eFibre could be installed no problem within a week when the line isn't even active and needs to be activated by an engineer first, and then I have to wait another 5 days before it can be enabled for eFibre.

Please follow up on the formal complaint I logged with "Keith" via e-mail, when I rang the call centre earlier "Gillian" was unable to view the details of the complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi DVD-Lots

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan, Thanks for the response.  PM Sent regarding the order number.

Regarding the explanation above, this is simply not good enough.  I require a full RFO (Reason for Outage) on this matter to ensure my details haven't leaked somewhere.  I work in a call centre and deal with Data Protection issues on a daily basis as I am responsible for the Call Recordings and Data Backups.  We are required to fully explain an outage or error on the system if it relates to customers details.  This generic "oh something must have happened but it's okay" answer is simply not enough in this case.

Besides the fact that this was not only a "technical fault" but out and out lies by the operator, "Liam" needs a talking to in my opinion as he clearly led me down the garden path with his claims that eFibre could be installed no problem within a week when the line isn't even active and needs to be activated by an engineer first, and then I have to wait another 5 days before it can be enabled for eFibre.

Please follow up on the formal complaint I logged with "Keith" via e-mail, when I rang the call centre earlier "Gillian" was unable to view the details of the complaint.

Hi DVD-Lots,

In this case where there was no outage rather agent error the agent with whom you were dealing with made a mistake and your order could not be processed which is why you now have an order for a line installation.

This is being dealt with internally and as you work in a call centre environment you must understand we cannot disclose internal procedures in dealing with such agent errors & mistake although we can assure you that your personal details are not at risk. I would like to convey our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Hi DVD-Lots,

In this case where there was no outage rather agent error the agent with whom you were dealing with made a mistake and your order could not be processed which is why you now have an order for a line installation.

This is being dealt with internally and as you work in a call centre environment you must understand we cannot disclose internal procedures in dealing with such agent errors & mistake although we can assure you that your personal details are not at risk. I would like to convey our apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,

Again thanks for the response but I'm still not confident that my details were handled correctly and safely. I need a very detailed report of what happened here as it still looks like a system error to me rather than user as I received a confirmation e-mail that the order went through and I received the copy of the Webchat as requested.  I'll forward on my complaint to your Data Protection officer as I feel this needs to go higher to get the level of detail I require.

Regards

DVD-Lots

Advertisement