Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary fermentation - change lid with airlock

Options
  • 09-09-2014 10:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Hi,

Am doing my first extract brew (bought the HBC extract brewer starter kit and full extract kit - American Pale Ale which is on its 4th day fermenting). I'd like to start another brew soon and am thinking of changing the lid on my primary fermenter with the airlock over to the other bucket and replacing it with the lid with no airlock (or hole in the lid) on Friday.

I'll be dry hopping some Citra Pellets for the remaining week in the Primary (with no airlock), and maybe leaving the lid unsealed to allow out excess C02. I'll then be able to get another brew fermenting in the other bucket.

As far as I can gather from reading it looks as if this should be ok.

Anyone have any thought on whether this should work?

Thanks,

David.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah it's fine, you could also just drill a hole in your lid and stick another airlock in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭southernstar

Thanks SasTa. Will wait till my next HBC order before buying one - am sick of paying 5 euro for delivery for small items...

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Hingo

I had the exact same question on here when I started, just leave the lid open slightly on one side (EG "click" down the lid and leave a fraction unsealed to allow any CO2 to escape). The majority of your fermentation should have completed by the time you rack to a secondary, so there wont be much CO2 left to release. If you do get an airlock, there probably wont be much going on.

Advertisement