Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 month old diagnosed as longsighted

Options
  • 09-09-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all

just wondering has anyone any experience or advice on this. My 10 month old daughter was tested yesterday after being on a waiting list for six months and I was told she is very longsighted and needs glasses. I went straight to the opticians and the baby como glasses are arriving saturday.
    I'm a perplexed as I was told its hereditary but I dont know of anyone in my family or his with long sightedness! I also feel very guilty that it took six months to be seen and feel I should have gone private.

Any advice or experience would be gratefully received

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I had my now two year old first tested at 7 months due to a history of lazy eye in my side of family.
    We went private but I seem to remember opthamologist saying that it would usually be around the 6 or 7 month
    mark anyway before they would be able to properly see if there was anything amiss with the eyes so having your daughter tested at 4 months would have been pointless. Did you notice something with her eyes at 4 months that prompted you to make an appt?
    Thankfully my son is fine and she also said that all babies are naturally born long sighted.
    I think the earlier the diagnosis the better chance of fixing the problem, think you got it in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭emmisaro

Rose35 wrote: »
    I had my now two year old first tested at 7 months due to a history of lazy eye in my side of family.
    We went private but I seem to remember opthamologist saying that it would usually be around the 6 or 7 month
    mark anyway before they would be able to properly see if there was anything amiss with the eyes so having your daughter tested at 4 months would have been pointless. Did you notice something with her eyes at 4 months that prompted you to make an appt?
    Thankfully my son is fine and she also said that all babies are naturally born long sighted.
    I think the earlier the diagnosis the better chance of fixing the problem, think you got it in time.

I noticed once the three month mark had been and gone that her eyes still sometimes 'wandered' for want of a better word so I went to the doctor at 4 months and he referred me. Thats good to know that it wouldn't have made a difference for her to be seen then. :-)
    Her script said +5 and the doctor said we'll see how those go. I think thats quite high

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Two of my daughters are longsighted. One was diagnosed at 9 months after 3 months on the waiting list and the other was diagnose last year at just gone 2 because she was referred at 6 months but the waiting list was 18 months long. I wouldn't worry, she has the glasses now so her eyesight will get better immediately.

The one problem I had was getting the 9 month old to leave the glasses on, even with the strap at the back she pulled them off all the time.

Both their eyesight was quite bad to begin with but now the eldest (now nearly 6) prescription has dropped from +6 to +4 in both eyes. The nearly 3 year old has +4 in both eyes atm. They both have turns also.

January wrote: »
    Two of my daughters are longsighted. One was diagnosed at 9 months after 3 months on the waiting list and the other was diagnose last year at just gone 2 because she was referred at 6 months but the waiting list was 18 months long. I wouldn't worry, she has the glasses now so her eyesight will get better immediately.

The one problem I had was getting the 9 month old to leave the glasses on, even with the strap at the back she pulled them off all the time.

Both their eyesight was quite bad to begin with but now the eldest (now nearly 6) prescription has dropped from +6 to +4 in both eyes. The nearly 3 year old has +4 in both eyes atm. They both have turns also.

Yes she won't even leave a hat on her head so I think it's going to be hard to get her to keep them on :-(

Thats good to know your daughters eyes are getting better too. I asked how long would she have to wear them and I didn't get a straight answer. Were you told if it is lifelong or whether they can correct it with glasses?

Her dad also just told me he wore glasses in school for reading so maybe thats where it came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Both of ours are long sighted. ..They told us it was hereditary too..but no one in either family has any eye problems.
    The eldest was grand but the youngest was a nightmare. In the end we had to just put them on an hour a day snd slowly build it up. He's fine now.

Now the eldest is in school though im getting a lot of...'I wish I was like everyone else and didn't have glasses type thing.

We were told by Crumlin there was a 2 year waiting list so we've gone private and we go see the ophthalmologist every 6 months and an eye physiotherapist every year.

Don't feel guilty for anything. ..you know now ans you're sorting it...thats the important thing

• Advertisement

emmisaro wrote: »
    Yes she won't even leave a hat on her head so I think it's going to be hard to get her to keep them on :-(

Thats good to know your daughters eyes are getting better too. I asked how long would she have to wear them and I didn't get a straight answer. Were you told if it is lifelong or whether they can correct it with glasses?

Her dad also just told me he wore glasses in school for reading so maybe thats where it came from

I think they'll both need them for life, I was the same when I was a baby and I'm still wearing glasses everyday and still have pretty bad eyesight. They're not into patching my two girls at all for their turns, they are of the opinion that once they're wearing the glasses that the turn is corrected so when the glasses are off it is purely cosmetic and no need to correct it because they're wearing their glasses anyway.

I think they'll both need them for life, I was the same when I was a baby and I'm still wearing glasses everyday and still have pretty bad eyesight. They're not into patching my two girls at all for their turns, they are of the opinion that once they're wearing the glasses that the turn is corrected so when the glasses are off it is purely cosmetic and no need to correct it because they're wearing their glasses anyway.

Thanks January. We got the glasses today shes actually wearing them more than I thought she would once I keep her busy. Her eyes seem really magnified in them but maybe it will just take a while to get used to seeing her wear them.

Also she only has a turn if shes tired at the moment. Is it usual for that to worsen or do you think the glasses will prevent it happening. Sorry im really clueless :-(

Thanks January. We got the glasses today shes actually wearing them more than I thought she would once I keep her busy. Her eyes seem really magnified in them but maybe it will just take a while to get used to seeing her wear them.

Also she only has a turn if shes tired at the moment. Is it usual for that to worsen or do you think the glasses will prevent it happening. Sorry im really clueless :-(

I couldn't really say and that would be straying into medical advice too, best to ask next time you're at the eye clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

emmisaro wrote: »

The turn in my son's eyes switches from eye to eye. He has had glass since about 18 months - again very long sighted.

Very recently been to the eye doctor (private), I always thought that he would be getting the operation as a teenager to straighten eyes - but no. Because the turn switches from eye to eye - if he got the operation done his eyes may fight against each other and he could end up with double vision.

• Advertisement
Advertisement