Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to by gem stones / fossils

• 09-09-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All,
    This is more of a geology question but couldn't find a geology forum. I would like to buy some gem stones for my son who is just getting into stones. I don't really want to buy online as I'd like to choose the stones individually. Any one any ideas if there is a shop in Dublin where I could buy some stones?
    Also, any tips on a child friendly book on stones and identifying them?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Annette

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

This might be a good book for a kid: http://www.dk.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781405331289,00.html?/Rocks_&_Minerals.

There is a rock and gem shop on Greystones main street called the stone gallery. Tends to cater more for the off-with-fairies and new age stuff then real geology but it does have some interesting fossils and stones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭Step23

The Yellow Brick Road on Bachelors walk sells minerals and fossils and polished stones etc. It's great you're son is getting interested, I wholeheartedly recommend you encourage his interest. I developed an interest when I was 5 or 6 and still going 20+ plus years later!

Have a look here for getting him some books on the subject http://www.ukge.com/en-gb/Childrens/Books-for-Children__c-p-0-0-13-370.aspx

All the best,

Stephen

P.S. Just remember when buying anything don't let the words RARE or UNCOMMON fool you, most the stuff sold in these kind of shops come out of the ground in tonnes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

Thanks all for your replies. Decided to make an advent calendar for him so will need 24 stones! Will check out the yellow brick road as it'should handy. Good tip Stephen about the rarity. May have to get the book first so I can inform myself.
    I always encourage his interests in science things as I find they come too short in school. Looking forward to doing this now.

Advertisement