Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SW-1070 fault

Options
  • 09-09-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

The above alarm has been installed in my mothers house for about 2 years.

It worked fine until the big storm last winter when the power went for a few hours. I don't think it was gone for long enough to kill the battery.

Ever since, there has been a problem with the keypad. I have a GSM unit in it for remote monitoring and get the following message every few hours:

Dev ComFlt
    RKP1 Keypad 1

The keypad in the house give an error message also, both aural and visual, something about a remote keypad fault.

I have reset the keypad several times and it seems to fix the problem for a short while but then the same error occurs.

While the above fault has now been in the system for many months now, it was working fine as an alarm, setting etc. However, since last weekend it seems to have given up the ghost altogether. The keypad is now "rebooting" itself, like the power is being lost completely. The alarm can be set sometimes but often the keypad reboots when a button is pressed.

When I try to set it remotely, I get the following error:

Not Ready
    Panel in alarm

I have the engineer code so can change any of the settings.

Any ideas or help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

podge3 wrote: »
    The above alarm has been installed in my mothers house for about 2 years.

It worked fine until the big storm last winter when the power went for a few hours. I don't think it was gone for long enough to kill the battery.

Ever since, there has been a problem with the keypad. I have a GSM unit in it for remote monitoring and get the following message every few hours:

Dev ComFlt
    RKP1 Keypad 1

The keypad in the house give an error message also, both aural and visual, something about a remote keypad fault.

I have reset the keypad several times and it seems to fix the problem for a short while but then the same error occurs.

While the above fault has now been in the system for many months now, it was working fine as an alarm, setting etc. However, since last weekend it seems to have given up the ghost altogether. The keypad is now "rebooting" itself, like the power is being lost completely. The alarm can be set sometimes but often the keypad reboots when a button is pressed.

When I try to set it remotely, I get the following error:

Not Ready
    Panel in alarm

I have the engineer code so can change any of the settings.

Any ideas or help with this would be greatly appreciated :)

The Dev ComFlt RKP1 Keypad 1 is as it says relating to keypad 1.
    If there is not much on the system I would default the system and see if that clears the problem. Alternately you could delete the keypad from the bus and re enroll it in the devices menu.
    Worse case senario is a problem with the keypad itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

altor wrote: »
    The Dev ComFlt RKP1 Keypad 1 is as it says relating to keypad 1.
    If there is not much on the system I would default the system and see if that clears the problem. Alternately you could delete the keypad from the bus and re enroll it in the devices menu.
    Worse case senario is a problem with the keypad itself.
    Thanks fir the input.

I have already deleted/added the keypad several times so I guess the next step is to default the system - something I obviously don't really wan't to do :D

Is there any chance the main board could be faulty? (if there is a physical fault). I can't understand why the issue only arose due to a power fail.

Thanks fir the input.

I have already deleted/added the keypad several times so I guess the next step is to default the system - something I obviously don't really wan't to do :D

Is there any chance the main board could be faulty? (if there is a physical fault). I can't understand why the issue only arose due to a power fail.

More than likely an issues with the keypad itself but you have to do a process of elimination to see if its anything else causing the problem.
    Could even be the board itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭podge3

More than likely an issues with the keypad itself but you have to do a process of elimination to see if its anything else causing the problem.
    Could even be the board itself.
    Thanks again, I'll try changing the keypad.

Thanks again, I'll try changing the keypad.

No probs, let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 smithysmitzer

Hi.
    I've just fitted a 1070 panel and I've got a fault on the keypad showing strobe fuse fault.
    It says in the manual that they are resettable. However I can't find out how to reset it.
    I've tried to power it down and clear it but with no luck.
    The alarm came after I noticed one of the pirs was not working. I opened the lid and immediately smelled burning. It turned out the pcb on the unit was burnt and badly damaged.
    I don't know why this happen as it was deffenitly wired correct. Perhaps it was somehow faulty. As the other 7 pirs are fine.
    Please help

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi.
    I've just fitted a 1070 panel and I've got a fault on the keypad showing strobe fuse fault.
    It says in the manual that they are resettable. However I can't find out how to reset it.
    I've tried to power it down and clear it but with no luck.
    The alarm came after I noticed one of the pirs was not working. I opened the lid and immediately smelled burning. It turned out the pcb on the unit was burnt and badly damaged.
    I don't know why this happen as it was deffenitly wired correct. Perhaps it was somehow faulty. As the other 7 pirs are fine.
    Please help

I have nerever experienced a beam over heating like that, what make is it?

To reset the strobe out put fault condition take the cables out of the strobe output.

Actually you haven't mixed up your wiring or connections, have you?

I have nerever experienced a beam over heating like that, what make is it?

To reset the strobe out put fault condition take the cables out of the strobe output.

Actually you haven't mixed up your wiring or connections, have you?

thank you for the reply, i checked the wiring over and over its right and the same as the rest of the pirs. using red and blue as the 24v supply. they are not mixed up.

i wonder why the strobe fuse has tripped. if iam right the pir is feed from a different supply than the strobe? maybe the two problems are not connected, but it seems too much of a coincidence.
    i will try and reset it later this evening. but the pir is concerning me, ive fitted a good few of these before and never seen anything like it.
    its a hkc pir wired.

"I have nerever experienced a beam over heating like that, what make is it?

Actually you haven't mixed up your wiring or connections, have you?"

thank you for the reply, i checked the wiring over and over its right and the same as the rest of the pirs. using red and blue as the 24v supply. they are not mixed up.

i wonder why the strobe fuse has tripped. if iam right the pir is feed from a different supply than the strobe? maybe the two problems are not connected, but it seems too much of a coincidence.
    i will try and reset it later this evening. but the pir is concerning me, ive fitted a good few of these before and never seen anything like it.
    its a hkc pir wired.

Something does not add up. Is this a complete new install?
    The resettable fuse will reset once the problem with the strobe is fixed. I would disconnect the strobe in the panel and install a different PIR and see if that works. If you reconnect the strobe and get the same fault there is either a short on the cable or an issue with the bell itself.

• Advertisement

Something does not add up. Is this a complete new install?
    The resettable fuse will reset once the problem with the strobe is fixed. I would disconnect the strobe in the panel and install a different PIR and see if that works. If you reconnect the strobe and get the same fault there is either a short on the cable or an issue with the bell itself.
    Thanks altor
    Your right something is not right. It's a new install. We bought the house and it's been wired for the alarm. Iam just fitting it now.
    I came home this evening and done what you suggested. The fuse fault went away. I then replaced the pir in question and now the new one is not lighting up. I forgot my multi meter at work so can't check voltage.
    It's obviously not getting any for some reason. All the pirs get their voltage from the 24v supply at the top of the card in the panel.

Thanks altor
    Your right something is not right. It's a new install. We bought the house and it's been wired for the alarm. Iam just fitting it now.
    I came home this evening and done what you suggested. The fuse fault went away. I then replaced the pir in question and now the new one is not lighting up. I forgot my multi meter at work so can't check voltage.
    It's obviously not getting any for some reason. All the pirs get their voltage from the 24v supply at the top of the card in the panel.

It cleared the fault because it is not connected. I would not connect any other device to the system till you have tested the cables (each core) to make sure you did not mark them up incorrectly when you started off plus to make sure there is no shorts on the cables. The voltage output from the board should be 12V not 24V.

It cleared the fault because it is not connected. I would not connect any other device to the system till you have tested the cables (each core) to make sure you did not mark them up incorrectly when you started off plus to make sure there is no shorts on the cables. The voltage output from the board should be 12V not 24V.
    Sorry 12volt. And yes I will just have to recheck all cables. I did bell them out to begin with but maybe marked them wrong.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Job for the weekend.
    Should I reset the panel by default?

Sorry 12volt. And yes I will just have to recheck all cables. I did bell them out to begin with but maybe marked them wrong.
    I'll let you know how I get on.
    Job for the weekend.
    Should I reset the panel by default?

I would just to be on the safe side. A short in a cable will break your heart if you don't know about it.
    There should be no reason to default the system back to factory settings.

I would just to be on the safe side. A short in a cable will break your heart if you don't know about it.
    There should be no reason to default the system back to factory settings.

Hi Altor
    just decided to try a few things i disconnected the cable going to the pir that caused the trouble i then belled it out, now its not belling, looks like its broken.
    anyway i said id leave that cable out and test the rest of the system.
    i reconnected the strobe and the fuse fault came back up. at this point its the only alarm present. but then when i take the wire back out it clears that alarm and tamper external bell comes up along with one of the bed rooms.
    how come these 2 alarms are not present when the strobe is connected?
    and i think at this point it looks like i have some broken cables around the house.

at the start i belled 2 cores of each cable in order to identify them and mark them.

Hi Altor
    just decided to try a few things i disconnected the cable going to the pir that caused the trouble i then belled it out, now its not belling, looks like its broken.
    anyway i said id leave that cable out and test the rest of the system.
    i reconnected the strobe and the fuse fault came back up. at this point its the only alarm present. but then when i take the wire back out it clears that alarm and tamper external bell comes up along with one of the bed rooms.
    how come these 2 alarms are not present when the strobe is connected?
    and i think at this point it looks like i have some broken cables around the house.

at the start i belled 2 cores of each cable in order to identify them and mark them.

There is something not right with your cabling. It may be wired for an Astec system by the sounds of it. On an Astec system you could have a wire going in a loop and have a pir, bell and alarm zones on the one cable. I would stop what your doing and test every cable to make sure you know what it what. Since your fitting a 10/70 you will have the ability to add wire free devices in areas the cables are damaged.

There is something not right with your cabling. It may be wired for an Astec system by the sounds of it. On an Astec system you could have a wire going in a loop and have a pir, bell and alarm zones on the one cable. I would stop what your doing and test every cable to make sure you know what it what. Since your fitting a 10/70 you will have the ability to add wire free devices in areas the cables are damaged.

Hi altor.
    I've got it. Was mixed up wires. The bell box was wired as a pir and vice versa. I just guess I didn't spend enough time belling the cables out. That's what I get for trying to do it with kids running around. ðŸ˜႒. Anyway it's all working.
    The next step is to get door contacts as the house was only wired for pirs for some reason.
    Thanks for your help

Hi altor.
    I've got it. Was mixed up wires. The bell box was wired as a pir and vice versa. I just guess I didn't spend enough time belling the cables out. That's what I get for trying to do it with kids running around. ðŸ˜႒. Anyway it's all working.
    The next step is to get door contacts as the house was only wired for pirs for some reason.
    Thanks for your help

Glad you got it sorted.
    Some houses are just wired for trap packs. It is a cheaper way of doing it but perimeter protection covering windows and doors is the best was to go. As you have a hybrid system installed you can add wire free in locations that don't have cables.

Glad you got it sorted.
    Some houses are just wired for trap packs. It is a cheaper way of doing it but perimeter protection covering windows and doors is the best was to go. As you have a hybrid system installed you can add wire free in locations that don't have cables.
    Altor.
    I may put wireless sensors on the doors. What is your opinion on wireless sensors. If I try to run a wire in I could.

Altor.
    I may put wireless sensors on the doors. What is your opinion on wireless sensors. If I try to run a wire in I could.

If you can get a cable to the door then I would.
    If not then wire free will do the same job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement