Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I have to keep turning off and on my TV set for Chromecast

• 09-09-2014 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Installed Chromecast on the HDMI 2 outlet on my Toshiba LCD. Works perfects between the iPad 2 and the Sky Hub and I watch Netflix perfectly.

However every time I change source to say Scart to watch Sky or put the TV into standby I cannot get chromecast back unless I switch the power off and on at the plug.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Is your USB power source from the TV or a plug?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

advertsfox wrote: »
    Is your USB power source from the TV or a plug?

Hi - the USB power source is from a plug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

So what is on screen when you press the source button on your TV remote to get to the hdmi socket your chromecast is in?

So what is on screen when you press the source button on your TV remote to get to the hdmi socket your chromecast is in?

Just a plain blue screen. So according to my iPad it is playing Netflix on my TV screen but as I said all is have is a blank blue screen.
    Then I turn off the plug on the wall and turn it back on and then Netflix is playing on my HDMI 2 input. It's like the Toshiba LCD has forgotten it has chromecast in its HDMI 2 input until it's powered down and up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Gallee wrote: »
    Hi - the USB power source is from a plug
    Just a plain blue screen. So according to my iPad it is playing Netflix on my TV screen but as I said all is have is a blank blue screen.
    Then I turn off the plug on the wall and turn it back on and then Netflix is playing on my HDMI 2 input. It's like the Toshiba LCD has forgotten it has chromecast in its HDMI 2 input until it's powered down and up again.
    Can you use the USB port on the TV instead as the power source and see if that helps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I have read a few other similar problems elsewhere online. I believe the most common fix was to factory reset the Chromecast and then update it to the latest version.

notmymark wrote: »
    I have read a few other similar problems elsewhere online. I believe the most common fix was to factory reset the Chromecast and then update it to the latest version.

Stupid question: I can factory reset ok (25 seconds etc) but how does it update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

Stupid question: I can factory reset ok (25 seconds etc) but how does it update?

After doing the factory reset, use the app to re-connect it to your Wi-Fi and it should auto-update. You may have to restart the device or try to play something but you will see it applying the updating.

advertsfox wrote: »
    Can you use the USB port on the TV instead as the power source and see if that helps?

Bad news - no USB port.

notmymark wrote: »
    After doing the factory reset, use the app to re-connect it to your Wi-Fi and it should auto-update. You may have to restart the device or try to play something but you will see it applying the updating.

Just did that - set it up as new. All worked well. Switched to HDMI1 to watch Sky for a few minutes then came back to watch Netflix and according to the iPad it's playing the movie but all I have on the HDMI 2 input is a blue screen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Bad news - no USB port.

It wouldn't have made a difference anyway I'd say.

I get random dropouts like that on one of my Chromecasts, on and off with the switch on the TV resolves it. Also happens with my sky box but that comes back in a second or two by itself.

It's a TV issue rather than a Chromecast one in my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone able to cast Netflix using hola?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Meleftone

Just did that - set it up as new. All worked well. Switched to HDMI1 to watch Sky for a few minutes then came back to watch Netflix and according to the iPad it's playing the movie but all I have on the HDMI 2 input is a blue screen.

I have the same problem as you and I have a toshiba lcd tv too, so I think it is a problem with the tv.

Have found what could be a solution...I have not tested it yet, will later.

1. Plug the CC into you wall outlet via usb adapter.
    2. Press and hold the reset button for ~25 seconds to perform factory reset. Wait for blinking white led.
    3. Plug into your HDMI port and turn on your TV.
    4. Go through verification code instructions and setup.
    5. Turn your TV off for a bit, then back on to see if the CC is still detected.

Meleftone wrote: »
    I have the same problem as you and I have a toshiba lcd tv too, so I think it is a problem with the tv.

Have found what could be a solution...I have not tested it yet, will later.

1. Plug the CC into you wall outlet via usb adapter.
    2. Press and hold the reset button for ~25 seconds to perform factory reset. Wait for blinking white led.
    3. Plug into your HDMI port and turn on your TV.
    4. Go through verification code instructions and setup.
    5. Turn your TV off for a bit, then back on to see if the CC is still detected.

Tried all that a few times. No joy I'am afraid.

Advertisement