Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festivals 2015 - which ones are you doing?

Options
  • 09-09-2014 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Seeing as we're all in a post EP and summer slump thought maybe some suggestions of which festivals you plan on doing next year, which you won't be doing and why?

Looking for inspiration on where to spend me cash and look for early bird tickets.

I'll go first

Already got tickets for EP
    No nails left from anticipation about ticket day for Glastonbury. :O
    Deffo doing Knockanstockan after missing it this year.

Won't be doing
    Longitude - scobe central this year and left early on two evenings and miss the camping part of the festival.
    Parklife in Manchester. Absolute scumbag of a festival run really badly for maximum profit. Never again.

Looking for a different one to do to replace the two I won't be going to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Seeing as we're all in a post EP and summer slump thought maybe some suggestions of which festivals you plan on doing next year, which you won't be doing and why?

Looking for inspiration on where to spend me cash and look for early bird tickets.

I'll go first

Already got tickets for EP
    No nails left from anticipation about ticket day for Glastonbury. :O
    Deffo doing Knockanstockan after missing it this year.

Won't be doing
    Longitude - scobe central this year and left early on two evenings and miss the camping part of the festival.
    Parklife in Manchester. Absolute scumbag of a festival run really badly for maximum profit. Never again.

Looking for a different one to do to replace the two I won't be going to.

Body & Soul festival without a doubt, very little scobes, loads of cool stoners including the crew, some pretentious hipsters too but there you go, loads of incandescent installations sprinkled throughout the fairy forest, you will not regret it.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Body & Soul festival without a doubt, very little scobes, loads of cool stoners including the crew, some pretentious hipsters too but there you go, loads of incandescent installations sprinkled throughout the fairy forest, you will not regret it.

B&S is my back up in case of missing Glastonbury tickets as its way too close to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Depending on the lineups, I might do Forbidden Fruit and/or Longitude. I might be more inclined toward Forbidden Fruit as it's closer to home and there's generally a nice crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

May - Life Festival

June Bank Holiday - probably Forbidden Fruit, might try to get to Primavera Sound in Barcelona instead though.

June - Sonar in Barcelona, and Glastonbury the weekend after. will do B&S if friends can't/won't go to those.

July - Longitude depending on lineup

August - Castlepalooza maybe.

August/September - going to try get to Outlook/Dimensions/Unknown in Croatia depending on dates. will be picking up an EP ticket as a backup in case friends are too unorganised to go to Croatia, which is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

EP ticket booked and paid for, half thinking of Glastonbury, maybe B&S or that one out Mayo way if the weathers nice.
    Don't really care who winds up headlining EP, there's more than enough to do at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

The free flow of Alcohol at Body & Soul last year made for the most chilled out atmosphere i've experienced at a festival in a long time also.

Hope it's the same next year

Think I'm over EP now tbh.

Sziget would be nice. I'll say tomorrowland but I know I won't make it, as usual :P

Think I'm over EP now tbh.

Sziget would be nice. I'll say tomorrowland but I know I won't make it, as usual :P

Sziget has properly piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Primavera all the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭JackMcA

Benicassim and EP. same as this year

• Advertisement

Primavera??

Could I cordially request as per the OP that peeps give a quick reason as to their choices, just that half the point of the thread is to give inspiration for others looking to test out new festivals. Ta. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Will try for Glastonbury tickets again. Reason? It's the daddy, nothing comes close.
    Meant to go to Vantastival last year, and might make it this year. Reason? Believe it's very good humoured, and I like their BYO approach to booze. Old VW's are cool too.
    EP. Reason? It's back in form after a couple of dicey years.

alastair wrote: »
    Will try for Glastonbury tickets again.
    Meant to go to Vantastival last year, and might make it this year.
    EP.

Whats Vantastival like? its only down the road from me but always looks cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭aka accounts 2010

Current plan:

1. Glastonbury
    2. Reading
    3. EP

Hoping for some quality one day gigs at Marlay Park/Phoenix Park/Slane etc.

Will probably grab day ticket for Forbidden Fruit and Longitude if line up is tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't mind trying out Wickerman in Scotland which occurs at the end of July, a similar buzz to Body&Soul, the idea coming out of the film set for the original movie shot in the early 70s, the festival site is the actual area the film was shot and a huge wickerman gets burned at the end of the festival. Theres a main stage with fairly good acts and about 5 or 6 others, a dedicated reggae area like Port Royal at B&S and Trenchtown at EP, 3 dance tents, installations and all sorts happening.

http://www.thewickermanfestival.co.uk/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickerman_Festival

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Whats Vantastival like? its only down the road from me but always looks cold!

Vantastival's great - perfect start to festival season - good lineups of mostly Irish acts, lovely site, nice people..

I look forward to it every year - roll on 2015 :)

I recommend looking into Roskilde. It's awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Body & Soul and Electric Picnic would be the only two definites for me next summer. First time attending body & soul this year and it was absolutely fantastic, great crowd and atmosphere, weather helped too undoubtedly. Forbidden fruit was great this year too but it would depend on the line up.

Think I will give castlepalooza and longitude a miss next year. Life is on the fence, a great line up would attract me and had great fun at it this year but there was an uncomfortable crowd at it and can only see it getting worse unfortunately.

There are a lot of festivals abroad that look very appealing but I don't think I would enjoy them as much as the ones here, I think Irish crowds are what make some of our festivals so enjoyable, for me personally anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

To answer Mince Pie's cordial request, Primavera because the line up is always amazing for the alternative minded, there's no grass and no fecking campsite.

No queues for beer, a very well behaved crowd and well, its in Barcelona.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

Download next year, already booked travelodge non refundable so I'm P. locked in before even an announcement.

Skipped it this year in favor of Altfest which was canceled and haven't refunded my money :( (I know I need to raise chargeback but effort)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Will give my two cents on those I went to during my festival year if it helps anyone :) This year I went to:

Barn Dance - One dayer in Glendalough House on Good Friday, pretty good lineup and lovely location and setup and BYOB. return buses from Dublin, got to Dublin shortly before 4am. very young mostly Dublin crowd.

Vantastival - Just down the road from my hometown. Have been the last 4 years even though I don't know a thing about campervans. An absolute gem of an Irish festival overlooked by the forested Cooley Mountains. Mostly Irish line-up with some big-ish Irish names and usually one or two big-ish international acts from the UK or elsewhere. Ridiculously friendly hippie kind of crowd, gets (slightly) bigger and better every year, all the different stages and areas are so well done. The 'Melomania' area tucked away in the forest this year with late night chill out areas and DJs was amazing. Like a smaller scale EP in vibe. Highly recommended! More than worth the small cost and an hour north of Dublin.

Life - I really enjoyed Life this (my first) year. Definitely more for electronic heads. Beautiful location. Seems to be a mix of fest buzzer types and scobey types. Didn't encounter any trouble. Would head again if the line-up was as ridiculously good as this year and the weather was good.

Hellfest - For anyone who is heavy metal inclined. Hot weather in the arse end of nowhere in the west of France. The setup and line-up was amazing though same weekend as Body and Soul so might give B&S the preference next year.

Primavera - Probably the best festival line-up I had seen in years. Was staying with about 10-11 friends in an apartment in central Barcelona and with such a large group I felt we didn't do the festival justice; arriving late in the evening to the festival, getting split up and losing people and missing bands etc. Though it did feel more like a holiday because of this! Was an amazing setup though and the weather was fantastic. Drinking beforehand in Barcelona was ridiculously cheap and music went on till 4am.

Longitude - Great lineup, great setup. Everyone was complaining about the crowd this year but I didn't mind it. The Heineken tent area and the places in the forest were way more chilled out than the main stage area. Would definitely hit again depending on the lineup!

Indiependence - Weather was great this year, nice indie line-up and the Cork-craic atmosphere made this a great weekend! Definitely recommended though it was more of a bands and craic in a field as opposed to something like the artsy Castlepalooza which was on the same weekend (where it rained torrentially).

EP - Best EP I've had so far, need I say more? Ireland's Glastonbury - you'll never get to see everything.

Hoping to hit Samhain at the end of next month too. Not sure about next year yet. Would love to hit Body and Soul next year as I have missed it every year and all my friends said it was the greatest but I was at Hellfest. Also some mates are moving over to California for a grad visa and meeting up with them and hitting Burning Man is a strong possibility! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Have my EP ticket sorted :)

Will more than likely head to at least one of the days of Forbidden Fruit and am also going to try get to Life, Body & Soul and Castlepalooza, all depends on funds!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Defo goin to B&S and FF again, loved those this year! EP can get fecked, I'mma check out Primavera instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Have my EP tickets, but seriously thinking about checking out Vantastival. I know the line-up isn't a massive draw, but I hate going a full year without the feel-good festival atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

sadie06 wrote: »
    Have my EP tickets, but seriously thinking about checking out Vantastival. I know the line-up isn't a massive draw, but I hate going a full year without the feel-good festival atmosphere.

And Vantastival is one of the best examples of that atmosphere! Music-wise it's the kind of festival where you just wander around the stages and end up discovering some deadly Irish bands you've never heard before. God Is An Astronaut and And So I Watch You From Afar headlined in recent years, both amazing bands! discovered the mighty Booka Brass Band first at Vantastival this year too.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,625 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

absolutely loved 'groove' this year, great line up too.. hopefully onward and upwards next year !!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Danger Fourpence

Body & Soul, Indiependance and Electric Picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭JamieHP

Thinking of doing Reading, line up depending

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MeetReality

Dekmantel & OFF Sonar are on my list. Anyone been to either before? Tips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Primavera hands down, the best festival I've ever been to, and I've made a lot of the European ones.

The no camping made it better for me, myself and 7 others got an apartment for 5 nights in Barcelona and partied in the sun all day the went to the festival in the evenings until sunrise, the known acts dont even start appearing till about 10PM.

Advertisement