Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to find out if i will get taxed import when buying online

Options
  • 09-09-2014 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi i would like to know how i will know if i will get taxed on import duties when buying online
    im using a website called aliexpress its a Chinese website .

can anyone help me figure this out please

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

www.revenue.ie for details

Depends on the value of the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1882.html

What is the value of the item and how much are the shipping costs of the item?

There is also the Online Buying and Auctions forum, which links to all the necessary information on this subject. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=583

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Briankelly1

The mustard = there's no shipping cost haven't purchased anything yet just trying to find out tax custom charges when i do purchase items have you any advice or experience with aliexpress ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

The mustard = there's no shipping cost haven't purchased anything yet just trying to find out tax custom charges when i do purchase items have you any advice or experience with aliexpress ?

Yeah, I've bought stuff from them (or dealextreme, another Chinese site) and I've paid nothing beyond the sale price. There was free shipping iirc. I have paid no tax or duty on what I have bought.

But as schemingbohemia already pointed out, it depends. Hence the questions concerning value.

Look at the links to the revenue website.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Hi i would like to know how i will know if i will get taxed on import duties when buying online
    im using a website called aliexpress its a Chinese website .

can anyone help me figure this out please

thanks in advance

It largely depends on whether the package is spotted by An Post inspectors.

Some packages I've ordered from asia got through without being detected, others haven't. Smaller packages tend to get through undetected.

When shipping via DHL/Fed Ex, they *always* get spotted. Standard airmail is the one I'm referring to.

This wouldn't happen to be for a HD Action camera would it? ;)

• Advertisement

Mrcheez - No its not for a HD action camera why do you ask ? i'm just asking in general is there any way of knowing if i'll pay inport duty tax ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,752 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

There's a popular thread on bargain alerts at the moment relating to ppl buying HD cameras from aliexpress and other Chinese sites and bringing up topic of duty so was just curious if it spilled out into another forum :)

Generally speaking you'll pay import duty tax if your package is stopped by customs, but this doesn't always happen as some packages filter through undetected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

no there's no way. you'll have to be more clear with what you're ordering.

Rossieman - Ok i'll give a few examples :-) if i'm ordering Action Camera Full HD DVR Sport DV 1080P Helmet Camera Mini DV 120 Wide Angle $53 free shipping will i get taxed on import duty ?
    is there a price if you go over you get taxed can you tell me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Rossieman - Ok i'll give a few examples :-) if i'm ordering Action Camera Full HD DVR Sport DV 1080P Helmet Camera Mini DV 120 Wide Angle $53 free shipping will i get taxed on import duty ?
    is there a price if you go over you get taxed can you tell me ?

I think you could beliable to 4.2% duty on that.

It depends on the good.

• Advertisement

import duty will be 23% and a handling fee of around 15 euro.
    discussing how to avoid customs is not permitted here. its just something you'll have to pay when ordering goods outside of the EU.

Rossieman = I'm not trying to avoid customs i am just asking how do i know if it will get stopped shipping is free from china it gets shipped via china airmail can you tell me would it get taxed on ?

of its picked up by an post it will be. as has been said, its pretty much 50/50. there's no real way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What others have said. You do not know whether your package will be charged to tax. The bigger it is, and the more expensive the delivery option you choose, the more likely it is that you will be charged.

Make your purchase decision on the assumption that you will be charged and the, if you decide to buy and are not charged, it will be a happy bonus for you.

Advertisement