Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mealtimes in hospitals

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

73trix wrote: »
    Any recent experiences of Wexford General??

I found the food in Wexford fairly decent and reasonable portions at mealtimes IMO. Cereal, toast, tea for breakfast at maybe 7.30am. Could ask for OJ if they didn't give it. Usually a roast dinner at lunchtime (12.30ish) if I recall correctly - roast beef, roast chicken, baked cod etc with potato and veg, dessert also. Tea was maybe a cold meat salad, soup and a sandwich etc (5ish). I could have lunch and dinner mixed up but you get the idea. Then a few other times they would come around with tea or coffee.

I didn't finish most meals in hospital as I had a tough few days and had little appetite. Plus baby had a knack of waking when I tried to eat!!! I had brought a box of snacks - rice cakes, crackers, cereal bars etc - which I found handy for when I did feel peckish outside of meal times cos id you miss one meal especially tea it's a long wait til breakfast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 109 ✭✭Rogaine2

My local hospital has the following:

Cereal and/or Toast or brown bread with tea or coffee at 8am

11.30am Tea or a bowl of soup

1pm Hot dinner (meat and two veg type). Jelly & Icecream or a yoghurt.

5pm Salad/Sandwiches/Crap - the crap could be sausage rolls or a fry or an omelette.

9pm Sandwiches

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

uhg was pretty manky (in the maternity ward after a section and a few weeks later in the pediatric unit when baby was sick with a virus). how they get away with serving patients this muck is beyond me. the food was processed within an inch of its life, all 'beige' (breaded, fried, or those supermanky burgers where you are not sure which bit of roadkill they used), the definition of a 'salad' is very loose (coleslaw, mashed potato and a slice of ham? not sure in which universe this could be called a salad?), and desserts were pure chemical jellies. you couldn't tell the difference between the "chicken" and the "fish cake."

i complained a few times, and always got offered really dry sandwiches as an alternative. no fresh fruit or veg in sight, and i doubt they took the dietary requirements of breastfeeding mothers into account at all.

really horrible experience, and i hope we never end up there again with a sick child as you couldn't feed them that cr*p when they're sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

In Holles St public ward for the moment. Breakfast at 8ish, brown bread, butter, jam, cereal, tea. Lunch around 1ish, choice of 3, usually meat/fish, vegetarian, or salad/sandwich options. Serves to be main meal. Dinner around 5ish, usually fry, vegetarian, or other option available.

Food isn't great, but is all edible. Veg option Doesn't contain enough protein IMHO, but don't choose the cheese option here. I was going to but decided on veg sweet and sour instead, a wise choice, as the cheese was easy singles.

Advertisement