Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New events structure

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Tom__JNR wrote: »
    What do you mean by saying worthy winner? Blame the system not the athletes....

I think that's the.point I'm making. The system is flawed, hence a winner who hasnt won a race all year. New system is needed and has been needed for years. Not blaming any athletes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Tom__JNR

BTH wrote: »
    I think that's the.point I'm making. The system is flawed, hence a winner who hasnt won a race all year. New system is needed and has been needed for years. Not blaming any athletes.

Who has not win a race all year? Saying that the winner is not worthy you are simply offending others unless you are the winner and i dont think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Is aaron o brien not going to win? If not, who is?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

EC1000 wrote: »

I reckon Chris will win it, fantastic 3 weekends in a row

Do you think Aaron, he of 5 NS race wins, deserves to win the series, or Chris M, he of 5 NS race wins deserves to win the series? Because it looks like neither will win it, but I better not name names or Tom might get upset. Again, I'm not having a go at the likely winner, he's played the game, played the system perfectly, I'm just highlighting how this proves the need for change to said system.

• Advertisement

Do you think Aaron, he of 5 NS race wins, deserves to win the series, or Chris M, he of 5 NS race wins deserves to win the series? Because it looks like neither will win it, but I better not name names or Tom might get upset. Again, I'm not having a go at the likely winner, he's played the game, played the system perfectly, I'm just highlighting how this proves the need for change to said system.

Not upsetting me, just die to know who played the system?

If I told you that would just ruin the suspense. :D

If I told you that would just ruin the suspense. :D

I rest my case...

Anyway we all agree that new system is much needed and the main goal should be for TI to create races which atract all top athletes (drafting or non-drafting).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭DaveR1

Tomasz Gagola will win it by a decent margin. I would be very surprised if not.

I think saying played the system is extremely unfair. Has he been the most consistent athlete in terms of results this year? I would say one of the best definitely, but there needs to be a points system in place, not a voting system. He has only done 5 races, so there's no way you can accuse him of playing the system. Maybe a bit of luck, but playing the system no. He raced well in all 5 races and was overall a very consistent athlete throughout the season. The National Series is meant to find the most consistent athlete throughout the season and I don't think you could say doesn't deserve to win it.

After saying all that, Chris still has a chance, just depends on what points his last 3 races are worth.

DaveR1 wrote: »
    The National Series is meant to find the most consistent athlete throughout the season and I don't think you could say doesn't deserve to win it.

Think it definitely highlights the fact that, in this case, it is not finding the BEST triathlete who completed all 5 races - hence the need for change to an ETU style points system.

• Advertisement

Think it definitely highlights the fact that, in this case, it is not finding the BEST triathlete who completed all 5 races - hence the need for change to an ETU style points system.

What constitutes BEST?

Man City won the premier league last year.
    Arsenal won the FA cup final.

Which team was better?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What constitutes BEST?

Which team was better?

Villa

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

hence a winner who hasnt won a race all year. New system is needed and has been needed for years. Not blaming any athletes.

if its Tomaz you refer to he won in Athy! he targeted winning it this year and fair play to him if he does get it in the end

I do agree though that the system is flawed to some extent but how do you make it fairer while still making it functional

What constitutes BEST?

Which team was better?

This is not a discussion that has a right and wrong answer. However, I think if you enter 5 NS races and win them all (including the national champs), that is fairly conclusive........ (even if 2 people have done this......)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

What constitutes BEST?

Which team was better?

Liverpool!!

Updated points are on TI website.

Fair play to Chris!

Updated points are on TI website.

Fair play to Chris!

What's happened now? Points have changed, Chris back to second??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

See the official announcement of the new structure is out. TI posted it on twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

What's happened now? Points have changed, Chris back to second??

Points for Blacksod Point Challenge were reduced.

It was my highest scoring race & now is my 2nd lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

http://www.triathlonireland.com/index.php?id=107&nid=1986

I like the fact that the NS is down from 5 to 4 races. I think this is a really positive step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Podge83

A lot of positives. One Question to the learned - Am I reading it correctly in that there is no Age Group National Champs for Olympic and Sprint Distance?

Podge83 wrote: »
    A lot of positives. One Question to the learned - Am I reading it correctly in that there is no Age Group National Champs for Olympic and Sprint Distance?

It's what it seems. looks like the ag'ers will be racing there as well, but not in a national champsionship race, in a national series race

is it a big deal? anyone with a shout of winning the nc will be in the top tier anyway

mossym wrote: »
    It's what it seems. looks like the ag'ers will be racing there as well, but not in a national champsionship race, in a national series race

is it a big deal? anyone with a shout of winning the nc will be in the top tier anyway

And if it happens that the first across the line is not a Div1 athlete?

Its happened in quite a few IMs, the first across the line has been an AGer but as not a Pro, they didn't win.

tunney wrote: »

Its happened in quite a few IMs, the first across the line has been an AGer but as not a Pro, they didn't win.

Only category 1 athletes are eligible to win the national champs. Given that the cat 1 will will be off well in advance of the AGers, I dont think an AGer will be first across the line. They may have a faster time - but will not be national champ.

I can't see it being an issue - anyone can apply to race in cat 1 - its not a money thing like in Ironman.

Only category 1 athletes are eligible to win the national champs. Given that the cat 1 will will be off well in advance of the AGers, I dont think an AGer will be first across the line. They may have a faster time - but will not be national champ.

I can't see it being an issue - anyone can apply to race in cat 1 - its not a money thing like in Ironman.

How is that Kool Aid tasting?

How is that Kool Aid tasting?

Not drinking the Kool Aid at all. And I'm far from a level of performance where any of this matters to me anyway. I'm just willing to give this a chance.

What is your alternative (specifically)?

i disagree with it at IM. fastest across the line wins. protecting prize purses for pros is bull$hit

can't be an issue here though, as from my read of it, they are two seperate races. says specifically where the nat champs is on, a national series race must also be held. that seems to be two separate races to me. so even if the winner of the ag race goes quicker than the elite race, it's a separate race so no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Agree with this completely. If you are capable of posting the fastest time in the national champs, why could you not be a cat 1 athlete, unless it's your first season and you've not got history of setting good times? In which case it's correct that you have to prove yourself before being allowed into cat 1.

No issue at all as far as I can see.

unless it's your first season and you've not got history of setting good times?

There is a mechanism for getting into cat 1 without a NS history if you can show a swim/run time from a previous race that is of a sufficient standard. Not sure if this is such a good idea - think it should involve bike times at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

I think its a positive step. I like the idea.

However have a couple of questions

Top 50+ in the super series should this not read top 200+ if div 1 is going to comprise of 10 per age group
    Yonger and older age groups vary widly in standards so potenitally you could have a 2.40 Olympic distance athlete racing in Division 1 and a 2.15 athlete racing age group.
    Also am i right in saying the scoring system remains the exact same for the age group races (as it has been the past the past 5 yrs)
    Only had a quick glance so correct me if wrong.

Advertisement