Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postponing Course?

Options
  • 09-09-2014 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys, I find that as this semester just started I still harbour the same feeling that I just don't want to be here, I don't feel interested in my course, even though I can't imagine any other course that would be more interesting, I find that this whole organised learning thing without any actual rewards thing that I've been doing since primary school, having skipped TY and not even taken a year off between LC and uni, I feel like taking a break for a year, getting a nice job and moving out of my house, and living some real life for a little bit, just so that when I start learning I'm learning for a reason, not just because it's somethign I need to do and keep doing to be successful in life, even though for me success is a warm room with a good internet connection and food in the fridge.
    Aaaaaanyway, what I wanted to ask was is it possible to postpone my learning? To take a year off at semester's or year's end and come back afterwards and keep going from where I am now? Or would I have to completely abandon my course and all it's progress(and the two years of funding from the HEA)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

You can apply for a leave of absence from your programme office for a semester or year, although you need to do this before the start of the semester. You can still apply now but it may not be approved.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/leaveofabsence/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I applied for leave of absense in the past and it was a fairly straight forward procedure. I can't imagine why it wouldn't be approved at undergrad level anyway - it may be trickier for postgrad. If your heart isn't in it at the moment, a break might really be beneficial. I know it was a massive plus for me. That said, I'd highly recommend having at least a vague plan for the year. It can seem great having lots of free time, but within a few weeks it can become quite unappealing.

Advertisement