Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unfair business with a shop

• 09-09-2014 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Just less than 30 days ago I went to a shop to replace mountain tires with flat and slick tires and it costed me 74 euros instead of 54 because the shop said these tires were more resistant to punctures.

I forgot there my old mountain back tire, but OK they took it.

3 days after I go there and pay 30 more euro to fix the brakes.

2 weeks later I got a flat tire on the back tire.

I go to the shop just yesterday (2 weeks passed) and the guys pumped air into the tire and told me to see if it would last till today.

It was flat in the morning so I went there, and after spending 104euros on that shop, with super tires with 2 weeks use (and they got my old mountain tire) they won't replace the air chamber for free.

Is there any place I can make a complaint?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

More resistant to punctures, not completely resistant. You've been unlucky, that's not the shops fault. Even the most puncture resistant tyres will pick up punctures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Fian

punctures happen, you should just replace or fix the tube.

The Shop does not (from the facts as you have described them) have any legal obligation to replace the tube.

I am not trying to be smart or unsympathetic, but the reality is that the shop is not responsible for you puncturing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭ragazzo

tendjose wrote: »
    Just less than 30 days ago I went to a shop to replace mountain tires with flat and slick tires and it costed me 74 euros instead of 54 because the shop said these tires were more resistant to punctures.

I forgot there my old mountain back tire, but OK they took it.

3 days after I go there and pay 30 more euro to fix the brakes.

2 weeks later I got a flat tire on the back tire.

I go to the shop just yesterday (2 weeks passed) and the guys pumped air into the tire and told me to see if it would last till today.

It was flat in the morning so I went there, and after spending 104euros on that shop, with super tires with 2 weeks use (and they got my old mountain tire) they won't replace the air chamber for free.

Is there any place I can make a complaint?

I presume you are joking.

Punctures are part of riding the bike and are not covered by warranty or guarantee.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭tendjose

Imagine I would keep feeding my bike.

Another puncture in the next 2 weeks.

I'm not going through this.

The first 8 months my bike didn't give me any trouble.

After that were 2 flat tires, brakes, front gears don't work anymore, wheels slightly bent, so what's left? The frame?
    Also the first oil didn't make my trousers dirty like the second oil they put me for maintenance.

With that money to fix a maintain everything I can buy a brand new Road Bike, its NEW, and cycle even faster than with my mountain bike!

But instead of keeping feeding this monster, I'll just start using Dublin BIKES (20€ per year instead of 200€)!!!!! And I won't spend any money on locks and being always worried if someone is going to steal my bike!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

Learn how to maintain your own bike. Then you'll only have yourself to blame when things go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

A couple of questions;

How many hours or kms cycling do you do a week?
    What were the exact tyres fitted?
    How often do check your tyre pressure, and do you routinely check for bits of glass and crap embedded in the tyres after a spin?

Taxman's suggestion of learning basic maintenance is the way to go. You'll save yourself a lot of money and a lot of aggro. If you think the bike shop is taking the piss, which they well might be, take your service elsewhere. Lots of very good ones out there.

FWIW, on my road bike, on good puncture resistant tyres (Durano plus), I get very few punctures. 1 - 2 per year, over about 6,000km on rural roads. I do check my tyre pressures regularly and keep my bike in good repair. Too many punctures on a decent tyre suggests it's under inflated or your collecting sharp crap on the tyres that's working its way in over time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

After that were 2 flat tires, brakes, front gears don't work anymore, wheels slightly bent, so what's left? The frame?
    Also the first oil didn't make my trousers dirty like the second oil they put me for maintenance.

With that money to fix a maintain everything I can buy a brand new Road Bike, its NEW, and cycle even faster than with my mountain bike!

But instead of keeping feeding this monster, I'll just start using Dublin BIKES (20€ per year instead of 200€)!!!!! And I won't spend any money on locks and being always worried if someone is going to steal my bike!!!!

Punctures happen. It takes 5 minutes to replace a tube. You expectations will never be met if this is your attitude.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

If you think it costs a lot to maintain a bike, and you only really use it around Dublin city, then go for Dublinbikes. However, you should know that the shop is almost certainly not to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

That bit made me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

How much for the bike boss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Clean chain oil...there's an idea!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Probably should be moved to After Hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

It'll get punctures too. Every bike gets punctures. There are steps you can take to make them less frequent, but they are absolutely inevitable. It's a very, very simple thing to learn to fix them. It takes most riders less than 10 minutes to fix on the side of the road. The bike shop has done absolutely nothing wrong. If you are unhappy about your experience, learn to do your own maintenance and repairs from youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Tyres are a bit like condoms. Stuff may still get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

That bit made me :D

When I saw that bit I presumed this was a p*** take!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, you're not Aaron Gwin are you?

A little more seriously, as already pointed out punctures are a fact of life with bikes. Some tyres may be a bit more puncture resistant than others. Are you actually using the bike on or off-road and when it punctures are you checking the tyre to see if there is something sharp still embedded in it?

I also don't see what relevance the brakes are here. You paid to have them repaired. Are they still an issue? Likewise you mention other faults as if they are the responsibility of the shop. Is there some reason for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

bazermc wrote: »
    Tyres are a bit like condoms. Stuff may still get out.

I dont enjoy riding my bike without tyres, but...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Beasty wrote: »
    Likewise you mention other faults as if they are the responsibility of the shop. Is there some reason for this?
    but he left them his old mountain bike tyre - so they owe him!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

A new bike for 104 euro.... tell us more! :D

Me thinks you complain too much chief.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

but he left them his old mountain bike tyre - so they owe him!

They're riding around on tyres for free Joe.

Advertisement