Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Story With Angel Lane

• 09-09-2014 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

Has Angel Lane on Robert Street been closed for long, or does anyone know if it's planning on opening again any time soon?

As nightclubs go I thought it was a good one, plenty of space.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It's for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

131spanner wrote: »
    Has Angel Lane on Robert Street been closed for long, or does anyone know if it's planning on opening again any time soon?

As nightclubs go I thought it was a good one, plenty of space.

up for sale,

Crush's opening killed them off completely. were letting off staff since January, simply couldn't keep up..

when The Library started to bring in students twas the final nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

There was a big queue of students trying to get in sunday night anyway!

Really? Because I was in Smyths smoking area on Sunday night facing the place and there was no activity. Didn't see many students around either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

You sure it wasn't molly's?
    Passed AL at 12 and was dead!

• Advertisement

I passed and saw a decent size group of them queuing around 11:30 in the hope it might open. Right now its a pretty crap deal being a student in Limerick once Mollys and Crush (and maybe the Library) are full there's nowhere for students under 20 to go to. Icon remains 20+ and think the Red Hen is 21+..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I passed and saw a decent size group of them queuing around 11:30 in the hope it might open. Right now its a pretty crap deal being a student in Limerick once Mollys and Crush (and maybe the Library) are full there's nowhere for students under 20 to go to. Icon remains 20+ and think the Red Hen is 21+..

Costello's?

Isn't open late Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday, and most students would (stupidly) balk at the idea of going there...

Isn't open late Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday, and most students would (stupidly) balk at the idea of going there...

Agree. Unless hardwell/avicci/martin garrix is blaring out of the sound system, the majority of students wouldn't be caught dead there

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Agree. Unless hardwell/avicci/martin garrix is blaring out of the sound system, the majority of students wouldn't be caught dead there

And long may that continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The number of staff/security they had working in angel lane was ridiculous to the number of staff/security in crush in molly's.

There was no need for all them even when only 1 floor was opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

I heard that they had issues with their smoking area, I remember from being in there previously that it is inside, its to the right and up steps as you would go in the door. Rumours abound that it is opening Thursday for Halloween, presume it's lies?

buyer95 wrote: »
    I heard that they had issues with their smoking area, I remember from being in there previously that it is inside, its to the right and up steps as you would go in the door. Rumours abound that it is opening Thursday for Halloween, presume it's lies?

To be honest I liked the club itself but not the clientele that it attracted in the end. Great sound system and lights, plenty of bars, plenty of toilets, plenty of space, two fantastic smoking areas and had one or two fine DJ's (RIP to a certain one) in its earlier days.

It was up for sale on property.ie after it closed and now its gone so you could be correct about it opening again. Maybe (hopefully) someone took it over. I haven't been in the place in about 2 years but didn't like the fact it closed. I'd assume Willie Sexton has nothing got to do with it anymore.

I think they had those smoking area issues when it opened first but they somehow got around it. I remember talking to a mate of mine who was a barman there at the time and we both predicted that the smoking area issue would eventually catch up with them so you could be spot on there too.

Would be nice to see it open again and to give a good go at the Level 23 idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

And change the name.

To be honest I liked the club itself but not the clientele that it attracted in the end. Great sound system and lights, plenty of bars, plenty of toilets, plenty of space, two fantastic smoking areas and had one or two fine DJ's (RIP to a certain one) in its earlier days.

It was up for sale on property.ie after it closed and now its gone so you could be correct about it opening again. Maybe (hopefully) someone took it over. I haven't been in the place in about 2 years but didn't like the fact it closed. I'd assume Willie Sexton has nothing got to do with it anymore.

I think they had those smoking area issues when it opened first but they somehow got around it. I remember talking to a mate of mine who was a barman there at the time and we both predicted that the smoking area issue would eventually catch up with them so you could be spot on there too.

Would be nice to see it open again and to give a good go at the Level 23 idea.

I would also love to see it reopen, space wise the place is brilliant, really ambient, and as you say the sound system is excellent.

On the smoking area, I've been to Ibiza, and I think that indoor smoking area ranks as the coolest smoking area I have ever enjoyed a fag in. The smoking area had its own DJ, dancefloor, sofas and bar.

And change the name.

I think the name was changed last year, wasn't it "Lux" or something after Christmas. Imo thats an awful name, and I quite liked the name angel lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Better known as Anal Pain in the day. :p

bazz26 wrote: »
    Better known as Anal Pain in the day. :p

Always funny, but in later years unjustified, it was the Mary I crowd of 1st and second years who were the main student body going in here.

Bit of activity on their fb page. Looks like they're hiring if anyone is interested.

Anyone with anymore info on it reopening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Apparently it was mentioned on here that Icon bought/leased it for the younger crowd.

So now the ICON crowd can drop their children off at Angel Lane and collect them afterwards. :pac:

• Advertisement

Apparently it was mentioned on here that Icon bought/leased it for the younger crowd.

So now the ICON crowd can drop their children off at Angel Lane and collect them afterwards. :pac:

Good move by the icon if true. No worries of any competition

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good move by the icon if true. No worries of any competition

'Twould make the Icon a much more comfortable venue too if the excess crowd could head around the corner instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,066 ✭✭✭893bet

Advertising for jobs available in the limerick post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

:pac:

This is exactly whats happening. A mate of mine is running it. Its geared for the under 23's crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

Big enough crowd there for the open interviews today when I passed should be opening fairly soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Big enough crowd there for the open interviews today when I passed should be opening fairly soon

Rag Week apparently!

Great promo for the re-opening of Angel Lane. Loving the Sopranos theme tune.
    Can't embed video because it's on vimeo instead of youtube.
    http://vimeo.com/118336027

buyer95 wrote: »
    Great promo for the re-opening of Angel Lane. Loving the Sopranos theme tune.
    Can't embed video because it's on vimeo instead of youtube.
    http://vimeo.com/118336027

I wouldn't call it great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

I wouldn't call it great

Woke up this morning got myself a gun - sign for Limerick

Born under a bad sign - Mary Immaculate College

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

"What happens in angel lane...stays in angel lane"

Pretty sure if someone gets bottled in there it won't be staying in angel lane

Also looking forward to future 'productions' from angel lane 'productions'...cringeworthy

Advertisement