Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Songs of Innocence

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

The version of every breaking wave on CD2 is fantastic with bonos voice on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭micar

The Troubles is an outstanding song, it is amongst the best tunes on the album (Iris, Volcano, Every Breaking Wave and Song For Someone other excellent tunes)

I love the song. Hopefully, they'll bring it out as a single to maximise airplay. The reckon the video would be stunningly beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,027 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just listening to this album now.

Much prefer the acoustic version of Joey ramone.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Listening to the acoustic versions on the deluxe edition of the album, makes me wish they'd do more of this type of thing. They are too preoccupied with trying to write the next big hit or anthem. I dont know why getting max radio play etc is so important to them these days. Bono sounds fantastic on these acoustic versions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

david75 wrote: »

Excellent interview.

Just realised "Invisible" the track released during the Superbowl in aid of RED didn't make the cut for this album (either version).

I've added it to my iTunes.

Gonna be a long wait for Songs of Experience now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

OU812 wrote: »
    Just realised "Invisible" the track released during the Superbowl in aid of RED didn't make the cut for this album (either version).

It did!:) It's on the Bonus CD with the Deluxe version, 30 seconds after the end of the alternate SLABT. Invisible on the track list, but it's there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭weadick

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Listening to the acoustic versions on the deluxe edition of the album, makes me wish they'd do more of this type of thing. They are too preoccupied with trying to write the next big hit or anthem. I dont know why getting max radio play etc is so important to them these days. Bono sounds fantastic on these acoustic versions.

Agree with you there. I just saw them playing EBW on Italian TV with just Bono singing and Edge on piano and it sounded amazing. Very few if any 'rock' singers could pull that off. It's about time Bono started playing to his strengths a bit more instead of hopping and lepping about the place like a granddad that's taken the wrong pills.

weadick wrote: »
    Agree with you there. I just saw them playing EBW on Italian TV with just Bono singing and Edge on piano and it sounded amazing. Very few if any 'rock' singers could pull that off. It's about time Bono started playing to his strengths a bit more instead of hopping and lepping about the place like a granddad that's taken the wrong pills.

:D Too true! Ah we would miss mad Bono live though, but agreed he's much better on tv when he reigns it in. No doubt he'll be up crowd surfing at Graham Norton this week so.....

I really liked the Miracle acoustic on that show, much better than the version on the deluxe album. The crowd made it with their backing vocals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

They're on Graham Norton this week?

• Advertisement

Yup, and Jools next week. (Jo whiley's radio show this week too)

Loving the unplugged stuff!

Hopefully they'll do some acoustic stuff on the Graham Nortons show.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bono's voice is powerful here:

That extra track Lucifer's Hands is pretty great.

If any of ye missed it, catch the repeat on TV3 tomorrow of Graham Norton. EPIC acoustic performance of Song For Someone at the end. Run of the mill full band version of The Miracle, and a really great chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I dunno, I thought they were ropey in both performances - probably just need more rehearsal. Miracle was slowed down to a half beat and it dragged a bit. I would have rather they'd talked more, with more interaction with the other guests, then done a "look we can play!" acoustic song. And the "intro music with talking about what the song is about" part is just cheesy.

It was a good chat though. Is it just me or is the Edge aging really well?? Bono sort of looked like a candle that was going to melt; Larry just looked like a really old version of regular Larry, and Clayton was pretty cool looking I have to say, though his animal-print top was not. :)

http://vimeo.com/109300396 for anyone who missed it.

I agree the Miracle was a bit ropey, but apparently it's the first time they played it full band (the apple event was meant to be synched and not all live). Still it sounded great at times.

The chat, well Norton completely ignored everyone else when U2 came on, he usually mixes it up, so it was down to him, not them, but it's totally understandable as it was their first time so he wanted to milk them as much as he could.

Song for Someone though was just perfection, even the cheesy intro. It was one of my least favorite tracks from the album, but blew me away last night. Goes to show the strength of these songs.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The true longevity of an album only comes after it's been toured live, songs change, morph & become unrecognizable from their recorded versions.

I've a feeling this album will be higher up the rankings in a year or 2.

The reviews over the last few weeks have been much more positive than when the album came out, it seems that critics are now reviewing the album on its musical content rather than how it was released. its a great record. Not up there with JT/AB but probably on the tier below those two.

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The true longevity of an album only comes after it's been toured live, songs change, morph & become unrecognizable from their recorded versions.

• Advertisement

As much as I like the album I can't help but feel that U2 are pretty much finished now as a truly important band.

Typical U2. Lucifers Hands and Invisible are two of the best songs they have done in recent times and they waste them by sticking them on the bonus disc.

Love the riff on LH...sounds familiar.

weadick wrote: »
    Typical U2. Lucifers Hands and Invisible are two of the best songs they have done in recent times and they waste them by sticking them on the bonus disc.

Love the riff on LH...sounds familiar.

its "Return of the Stingray Guitar" that they played during the last tour at the start of some of their gigs I believe. Lucifer's Hands is a fantastic song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

From Jools Holland:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm surprised Jools didn't join in for some boogie woogie piano... :)

Years ago that performance would've impressed me; now, I'm a bit meh about things like that. I'm more interested in what they can do in the studio.

Apparently they played California too which will be shown in Friday's extended version.

Rumours too they are doing the Late Late this week.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

They really nailed it lastnight, bonos voice is good as ive ever hear it.
    Great to see well known U2 haters raving about lastnight in blogs and twitter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I've listened to it a few times in the last few days and it gets better with every listen,I'm delighted because I thought I was going to be disappointed after reading a couple of reviews.

Aye it's fantastic. Can't wait to hear some of the other tracks live, starting with California tomorrow. Iris, Raised By Wolves, The Troubles, and TIWYCRMN all still to be shown off.

• Advertisement

Anyone got a link for the show?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement