Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Songs of Innocence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

MadYaker wrote: »
    Its taken a lot of listening but I've decided I like it. Volcano, Cedarwood Row, The Troubles are the stand out tracks.

I've decided the same! For me, "Iris (Hold me close)", "Cedarwood Road" and "Song for someone" are the highlights. I didnt like Iris at all when I first listened to it but the end of that song - wow. When Bono sings "Iris says that I will be the death of her, it was not me" is just such a fantastic line. And "Free yourself to be yourself".

I find some of the songs start off slowly but end really strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

For me, The Troubles, Volcano, Raised By Wolves and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight are the highlights. Having said that, as an overall album, I think its very, very solid. Its more consistent since anything they've done since Zooropa in my book. Theres a few songs on ATYCLB that I cant listen to at all, even though thats a great album. The second side is quite weak for me. This one is solid from start to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Cedarwood and Volcano are my least favourite tracks :pac:

Favs would be Every Breaking Wave, California, This is Where You can Reach me now, and The Troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Now that I've focused on the second half more, I've found I'm enjoying the fist half a lot more too - EBW and California are great, and I've grown to like Iris (having not liked it at all at first).

Spotify is fantastic. Been going back through the deluxe releases of the 80s albums lately and some of the b-sides are amazing. As a band, they've done some really diverse and experimental stuff. Brilliant band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Spotify is fantastic. Been going back through the deluxe releases of the 80s albums lately and some of the b-sides are amazing. As a band, they've done some really diverse and experimental stuff. Brilliant band

Yeah Spotify is excellent ,its amazing that you can literally listen to their whole back catalogue for 9.99 a month or even free .

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭weadick

I wonder if any if the few remaining record stores will open their doors at midnight for the release of the hard copy of the album, like they used in the good ole days. Suppose there is no need now seen as 500 million people have it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

Details for the official release:

The physical release of Songs of Innocence on October 13th comes in three formats which are available for pre-order here and through Island Records, and U2.com.
    Pre-order digital here.

Deluxe, 2 CD Format which comes with 2 x 16 page booklets, the 11 track album on CD1 plus additional tracks on CD2 including a 6-song acoustic session along with Lucifer's Hands, The Crystal Ballroom, The Troubles (Alternative Version) and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective Mix by Tchad Blake).

2 LP 180gram White Vinyl Format featuring the 11 track album on sides 1, 2 & 3 with bonus track The Crystal Ballroom 12" Mix on side 4.

Single CD Format with a 24-page booklet along with the 11 track album.

The album cover floating around with Larry Mullen and his son is beyond cringeworthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'm on my second consecutive listen of Achtung Baby now....what a ****ing masterpiece...it doesnt put a foot wrong at any point

Does anyone remember that Zoo tv special? it had concert footage from Zoo tv and loads of random interviews with people in that confession box and the band here and there..I used to love that film...id love to see it again

i know RTE showed it at the time cos i recorded it on vhs(god be with the days)

• Advertisement

I had "A Year In Pop" recorded on VHS too. :)

good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

weadick wrote: »
    I wonder if any if the few remaining record stores will open their doors at midnight for the release of the hard copy of the album

That's a thing of the past unfortunately. Only video games and mobile phones generate that kind of frenzy these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

weadick wrote: »
    Is there a chance that they will play anywhere else besides Croke Park a la Springsteen? I've seen them in Croker a few times now and its never been brilliant.

It's funny though how some of their songs you never really notice suddenly become epic when they play them live. Kite would be a good example of this.

Well, looks like there's a chance U2 will be playing arenas instead of stadiums next year. Demand will no doubt be phenomenal.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2014/0928/648542-bono-reveals-plans-for-u2s-2015-tour/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭OU812

U2 in the 3Arena ?

Unless they're planning on playing there five nights a week for the summer, I can't see that happening

• Registered Users Posts: 15,000 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

We're gonna be touring. We're gonna start next year. We're gonna try and play the O2 and places like that, more indoors that outdoors this time, but we'll see where it takes us.

Might do an arena tour in the US and Arenas/Stadia in Europe ,something like Zoo TV.
    Highly unlikely they will play indoors in Ireland .

Hopefully my concert ticket will arrive automatically in my letterbox. ;)

Looks like U2 might actually release the right single for a change! The Troubles features heavily in the latest Walking Dead promos, fits the show perfectly :D

The Troubles is a truly fantastic song. The best they've done for a long long time.

^ +1

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

Deluxe edition with all the extras has leaked.

The 2 new tracks are interesting, Crystal Ballroom especially, must have been a contentious cut from the main album. Old school disco just slinks along.

What will impress the most is Every Breaking Wave Acoustic, the album version is very strong but this is on a different level, must have been dirt in my eye cutting onions while listening.

The rest of the acoustic tracks are largely superfluous except for Raised By Wolves which may become a live favorite in this version.

Sleep Like a Baby & The Troubles are here in alternate versions that just sound like unfinished versions of their album brothers.

The whole package is worth every penny for Every Breaking Wave Acoustic. This years M&S ad sorted if they wish. Stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Achtung Maybe

The Troubles is an outstanding song, it is amongst the best tunes on the album (Iris, Volcano, Every Breaking Wave and Song For Someone other excellent tunes)

Deluxe edition with all the extras has leaked.

What's it like, in the vein of the second half tracks or the first? IOW, more like Zooropa / Pop etc, than the recent albums?

And what is the other new song like?

Defo gonna buy the album to have the whole package and bonus tracks. I never actually "bought" NLOTH so it'll be nice to go in and buy a U2 album again. Acoustic and live tracks rarely interest me so I'm not bothered about them tbh.

What's it like, in the vein of the second half tracks or the first? IOW, more like Zooropa / Pop etc, than the recent albums?

And what is the other new song like?

Defo gonna buy the album to have the whole package and bonus tracks. I never actually "bought" NLOTH so it'll be nice to go in and buy a U2 album again. Acoustic and live tracks rarely interest me so I'm not bothered about them tbh.

Lucifer's Hands attempts to be a rocker, has an interesting Last Night on Earth style opening riff, the track doesn't really go anywhere though.

Crystal Ballroom should have been on the main album, it's a slinky Nile Rodgers style disco hit which just grooves along, finishes with a fuzzy guitar solo, I really liked it.

U2 overload is coming our way. They must really have shares in the BBC :D

U2 will play live on Jo Whiley's show on Radio 2 next Wednesday, Oct. 15, performing three new songs and one classic track. The show airs at 8 p.m. local time (U.K.).

The Graham Norton Show Friday, October 17. (will Norton challenge them about the tax issue? He said he would! http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/8764610.html
    People like Bono really annoy me," rants the 43-year-old chat show host of his fellow Irishman and U2 frontman.

"He goes to hell and back to avoid paying tax. He has a special accountant. He works out Irish tax loopholes. And then he's asking me to buy a well for an African village.

"Tarmac the road outside your house, you tight-wad! Or pay for a school in Ireland.

"I've never met Bono and now I probably never will. But if I do meet him I'll ask him because I think it's a hard thing to justify."

And finally;
    Later... With Jools Holland. U2 will be on the show on Tuesday, October 21 and Friday, October 24.

Shiraz, where did you hear those tracks?! Can't wait!

Shiraz, where did you hear those tracks?! Can't wait!

:rolleyes: Leaked online, I can't say more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Lucifers Hands or as it used to be called (Return Of The Stingray Guitar) was the opening instrumental played by the band on the latter part of the 360 tour.

Haha I tried a few legit sources, they're stalking youtube like crazy banning any U2 unofficial videos. Don't like downloading. Any chance this might sneak on the shelves tomorrow here in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Its officially out in Ireland tomorrow.

Really?! Brilliant! Thanks!

• Advertisement

They're streaming here for the moment (nothing on youtube)

Crystal Ballroom - http://www.goear.com/listen/6932413/the-crystall-ballroom-u2

Lucifer's Hands - http://www.goear.com/listen/f1274db/lucifers-hands-u2

first impressions are very positive, Crystal Ballroom would be my early fav.

Advertisement