Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got some damsons,what to do?

Options
  • 09-09-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

About time I posted in this forum- I've been looking long enough! My husband brought home a load of damsons from work this evening. I have never used them before. So, I would like to do something nice with them,not jam though. Does anyone have any nice ideas of what to make? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Cut in half, stew with sugar, serve hot over ice cream, (can also freeze them like this)
    Apple and damson crumble or tart.
    Eves pudding with damsons.
    Damson upside down cake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Welcome!

I've never tasted damsons but this looks good http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/damsoncobbler_70309

This is better suited to Cooking & Recipes so I've moved it in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Make Gin!
    cottagesmallholder.com/two-recipes-wild-damson-gin-and-sloe-gin-37/

Damson Cheese
    (Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall)

2kg damsons
    Around 750g granulated sugar

Put the damsons in a large preserving pan, add a couple of tablespoons of water and bring slowly to a simmer, stirring as the fruit begins to release its juices. Leave to simmer until completely soft. Tip the contents of the pan into a sieve and rub it through to remove the stones and skin, leaving you with a smooth damson purée.

Measure the purée by volume. For every 500ml, add 350g sugar, and combine in a large, heavy-based pan. Bring to a simmer over a low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar, then cook gently, stirring regularly so it doesn't catch, until reduced to a thick purée. It's ready when you drag the spoon across the bottom of the pan and the base stays clearly visible for a second or two. This can take up to an hour of gentle, popping simmering and stirring.

Pour the "cheese" into very lightly oiled shallow plastic containers and leave to cool and set. It will keep almost indefinitely in the fridge. Serve in slices with bread and cheese, or, if you fancy, cut into cubes, dust lightly with granulated sugar and serve as a petit four.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Make jam! I have such good memories of my mother's damson jam, it's really good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've had a tree full of plums to sort out this year, so I've made :

Plum jam (spiced up with some cinnamon, good stuff)
    Plum chutney
    Plum liqueur (can't comment on that yet, it's still developing)
    Plum crumbles
    Plum tarts

I'm now thinking about making some plum ice cream.

I'm sure any of those will work well with damsons, too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Damson Gin is awesome, I highly recommend you give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Wow guys, what a friendly bunch you are over here! Thanks so much for the replies. I'm not long home so I'll look through your suggestions after dinner. I love the idea of the cheese and the gin, maybe both. I have a feeling I may become a regular here! Thanks.

Advertisement