Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veterinary Nurse Registration

Options
  • 09-09-2014 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi people,

I have recently found out that since 2008 you have to be a registered veterinary nurse to carry out a the veterinary nurse role in a practice.

I recently qualified as a veterinary assistant - FETAC level 5, and I am hoping to apply for some jobs in a veterinary practice.

Does this mean that I wont be able to work in a vets? Are vets no longer allowed to employ veterinary assistants?

As it states on the veterinary nursing circular on the Irish veterinary council website that it is an offence for a veterinary practitioner to employ non registered veterinary nurses!

But can they still employ veterinary assistants or receptionists???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

The veterinary practice act specifies acts of veterinary medicine and veterinary nursing, that only a registered vet or vet nurse can perform e.g. surgery, anaesthetic monitoring, fluid therapy etc.

Practices can (and do) employ people with a FETAC level 5 qualification, or anybody else for that matter, just not to do the work of a vet or a veterinary nurse. Depending on the type of service that they provide, a practice will often need a team of people with a range of skills and qualifications to ensure everything gets done as well and efficiently as possible.

Advertisement