Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House rent and job in Dublin

Options
  • 10-09-2014 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi , my name is Jahidul Islam . Currently Me and my wife living in London. . We are from Bangladesh. We have student visa for uk . Now we are planing to move to Ireland , Dublin in a university . If anyone can tell me how is casual job market there . I have been working as a chef in London in an Italian kitchen , my wife work as a waitress .
    Also if some one can tell us how much would be rent cost of a studio flat there.
    Tnks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

J_islam wrote: »
    Hi , my name is Jahidul Islam . Currently Me and my wife living in London. . We are from Bangladesh. We have student visa for uk . Now we are planing to move to Ireland , Dublin in a university . If anyone can tell me how is casual job market there . I have been working as a chef in London in an Italian kitchen , my wife work as a waitress .
    Also if some one can tell us how much would be rent cost of a studio flat there.
    Tnks
    What do you plan on studying? Lots of colleges/ universities are being closed down as the government realised that non EU students were only pretending to go to college so that they could live here. Or if they were going they had too little hours

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ted1 wrote: »
    What do you plan on studying? Lots of colleges/ universities are being closed down as the government realised that non EU students were only pretending to go to college so that they could live here. Or if they were going they had too little hours

That's a rather sweeping statement. Can you name a university that has been closed for that reason?

There are many, many genuine English language schools and students here: just because some of have been closed down doesn't mean lots have been, or that they are all operating illegally.

What's more, the OP has said he will be studying in a university, that doesn't necessarily sound dodgy at all.

J_islam, there are people in this forum who can tell you about the likely cost of a studio apartment. If you tell us which university you will be studying at, they can probably be more accurate. (I can't, because I live in a different city.)

But I don't think they will know much about the casual job market, as we don't have very many foreign students posting here AFAIK. Do you know any other Bangledeshi people in Ireland? It's likely that they can tell you more about the job market.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Waiting staff, catering assistants, kitchen porters are on around €8.65-€9 p/hr, plus tips if you're lucky. Supervisors are €9.75-€10.40 p/hr. Sous Chefs on €10.50/€11, chef de parties €11.50-€12.75, head chefs more.

These would be in the lower end, ethnic or cheap tourist eateries plus bars surviving food. Higher end establishments would be better paid.

The Northside would generally be a lower rent compared to the Southside but regardless, Dublin is a tight market as there is not much available for rent but lots of people wanting to rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That's a rather sweeping statement. Can you name a university that has been closed for that reason?

There are many, many genuine English language schools and students here: just because some of have been closed down doesn't mean lots have been, or that they are all operating illegally.

What's more, the OP has said he will be studying in a university, that doesn't necessarily sound dodgy at all.

J_islam, there are people in this forum who can tell you about the likely cost of a studio apartment. If you tell us which university you will be studying at, they can probably be more accurate. (I can't, because I live in a different city.)

But I don't think they will know much about the casual job market, as we don't have very many foreign students posting here AFAIK. Do you know any other Bangledeshi people in Ireland? It's likely that they can tell you more about the job market.

Many foreign students call any educational establishments university's. I specifically asked what he will be studying. Many students have been burnt with colleges closing. So I'm being very helpful.

I would class 6 this year as a lot.
    http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0805/635292-bct/

7 now
    http://m.rte.ie/news/2014/0902/640927-english-language-schools/

Advertisement