Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop boards from automatically 'following' threads for me

Options
  • 10-09-2014 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

It keeps following threads that I have no interest in following and I get loads of emails every day from these threads whenever somebody replies. I have repeatedly removed them from my followed threads only to find them re-appear at some stage down the line.

Annoying.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This is not really a Feedback issue - should be Help Desk imo but here's how you do it:

1. Click here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

2. In the "Messaging & Notification" box, scroll to "Default Thread Subscription Mode";

3. Select "Do Not Follow";

4. Scroll to bottom of box and hit Save Changes.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Ok you need to do three things.

1) Change the notification settings on threads you are currently following to 'No email notification'.
    If you click here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription this brings you to a list of your subscribed threads and the notifications that are set up. Select them all and change the notification to 'No email notification' in the drop down menu at the end of the page. Repeat for all pages of threads followed.

2) Change your default notification when you post in a thread to 'no email notification'.
    Click here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions. Under 'Messaging and Notification' you will see 'Default thread subscription mode'. Make sure this says 'No email notification' and hit save at the end of the page.

3) When you click to 'Follow' a thread, make sure that you select 'No email notification' on the pop up - 'instant notification' is selected by default on these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Thanks guys just sorted it there!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Should be no notification by default.
    Can't believe anybody wants this stuff clogging up their email account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

kneemos wrote: »

AFAIR, there were more complaints when the 'default' was 'no notifications'...

Can never please everyone. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Steve wrote: »
    AFAIR, there were more complaints when the 'default' was 'no notifications'...

Can never please everyone. :)

Really!? That seems crazy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kneemos wrote: »

If any normal game/application, a new user would be prompted to set basic default behaviours like this. Sigs for example are off by default, and only approximately 2 or 3% or users ever see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

Steve is correct, when switched off previously, there were many complaints of not getting notifications of replies to posts.

it was felt that the more prolific posters, those who post enough to actually have their email clogged, would know that there is a vbulletin setting to stop email notification or create an email filter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could we not have a setting in our control panel that applies to all threads rather than having to turn off e-mail notification on a thread by thread basis?
    Also there is now the followed threads drop down in the top right under your username which allows you to see any updates to threads you are following so the e-mail option would seem to me to be redundant at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

That is probably a request more suited to site development, while I can appreciate that some may prefer the default to be off and to have to ability to switch notifications on for certain threads, that strikes me as a "power user" feature and as such would be nice to have as opposed to this is something that will improve the user experience for the majority of members.

The other side of the argument is that while this is something that a relatively small number of members would use, does that small percentage of represent a majority of of high post count members, moderators etc.

This issue does not seem to come up frequently here in feedback and this thread only has a small number of replies, so it may only affect a very small proportion of boardsies, it would be interesting to know how this and other nuances of boards impacts on the user experience of different groups of members.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Could we not have a setting in our control panel that applies to all threads rather than having to turn off e-mail notification on a thread by thread basis?
    Also there is now the followed threads drop down in the top right under your username which allows you to see any updates to threads you are following so the e-mail option would seem to me to be redundant at this point.

If you go to: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subscription.php

You can select all the threads on a page and unsub using the drop-down at the bottom of the page. Not the same but better than thread-by-thread.

Advertisement