Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

forced dress code for work?

• 10-09-2014 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi wasnt sure whether to post this here or in lgbt because there is a gender element. A female friend is training to be a doctor,shes running into conflict with the authorities over her lack of desire to wear make-up,shes very boyish and could easily pass for a man optically. Another girl,hotel receptionist is not allowed to wear anything other than clear nail polish. I subscribe to the view that in a workplace you should look well,but theres many ways to do this. Is this even legal i wonder ?regardless I think individual differences should be accepted,Sarah

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

As far as I know it is legal. For example hairdressers are expected to come to work with styled hair, makeup artists are expected to come in with a full face of makeup, as are flight attendants. A gym instructor would likely be pulled up for getting chubby. Chefs aren't allowed wear nail varnish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some of it depends on what is written in your employment contract. There may also be Health & Safety considerations.

In my company, we are expected to dress professionally. IIRC our dress code specifies no open-toed sandals, and women should wear hoisery. I don't think there's anything per se about makeup, but obviously looking professional requires some amount (minimal in my case) of grooming.

Ultimately, if you don't accept your employer's conditions, you can either fight them, or leave. But in short, it's not unreasonable in many cases for employers to ask their employees to dress / present themselves a certain way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Nothing wrong there. Most jobs require you to wear a uniform

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Dress codes are important in the medical profession. Whoever is pushing her to wear makeup though is pushing their own agenda. It's not that sort of profession.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Hi wasnt sure whether to post this here or in lgbt because there is a gender element. A female friend is training to be a doctor,shes running into conflict with the authorities over her lack of desire to wear make-up,shes very boyish and could easily pass for a man optically. Another girl,hotel receptionist is not allowed to wear anything other than clear nail polish. I subscribe to the view that in a workplace you should look well,but theres many ways to do this. Is this even legal i wonder ?regardless I think individual differences should be accepted,Sarah

I can understand the clear nail polish. But being asked to wear make-up as a doctor in training?? Surely thats nothing to do with looking professional?? Unless they feel some patients would feel less... confused/offended. Which is a different kettle of fish.

Edit: not that I think they should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I find the make up in training part complete BS. There is plenty of muslim female doctor in Ireland, who wont wear make up, as its not considered that acceptable by conservative muslims. They arent running into any issues with hospitals in Ireland. I imagine your friend isnt giving the whole story.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hfallada wrote: »
    I find the make up in training part complete BS. There is plenty of muslim female doctor in Ireland, who wont wear make up, as its not considered that acceptable by conservative muslims. They arent running into any issues with hospitals in Ireland. I imagine your friend isnt giving the whole story.

My Muslim Doctor wears makeup and a headscarf, makeujp is not forbidden in Isalm

Acceptable appearance is not an issue that can be classed as discriminatory, I've worked in plenty of places that laid down min standards for appeareance, I see nothing wrong with what is asked of the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We have to have all shoulder length and longer hair tied back.
    Clear nail varnish only.
    Only one ring and 1 chain.
    No body piercings.
    2 stud earrings max.
    Black shoes only.
    No open toe shoes.
    Black socks or tan hosiery.
    It's all in the handbook!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I don't know what else it could be, she's very masculine, bordering on transgender, although I've never heard her use this term herself...said she was being forced to wear make up and didn't want to, tbh, I couldn't imagine her with it...maybe there's a general problem with her not fitting the female doctor mould?. Maybe it's about more than clothes?....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Spirogyra wrote: »
    ...maybe there's a general problem with her not fitting the female doctor mould?. Maybe it's about more than clothes?....

My suggestion is to request that they ask again in a way that's not illegal. I'd be curious to see what they come up with.

But IANAL....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I had to Google 2 acronyms here! Can't keep up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

There's a difference between being expected to look professional and being told to wear make up.

I am like the op's friend. I am very much masculine of centre, dare I say it butch, and I haven't worn makeup in many many years. I'll be honest if an employer told me to, I would be exploring my legal rights. That's like tell men they must wear beards. Looking clean and tidy and professional does not necessitate wearing makeup.

Tbh I often wear bow ties to work and I'd be seriously pissed off if I was told to wear a skirt or something similar. I work in research and policy so it's not like I'm not in contact with the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Tbh I often wear bow ties to work and I'd be seriously pissed off if I was told to wear a skirt or something similar. I work in research and policy so it's not like I'm not in contact with the public.

I understand what you're saying in relation to the op's question. To be honest as long as you look presentable in your bow tie, it shouldn't matter where you work. I completely understand why certain 'garish' nail colours, jewellery or clothing are not appropriate in some jobs but those jobs should be very much in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I work in health and there is NO reason to look other than presentable.
    No ripped jeans.
    No scruffy trainers.
    No tee shirts with slogans.
    No visible tattoos or piercings, other than ears- and only 1.

That's about it.

Administrators keep trying to bring in all sorts of rules about what we should wear but we act as role-models for patients, we are not there to intimidate them, and we should reflect the variety of clothing that exists in the real world.

Personally I think all doctors and nurses who all walk a hell of a lot in any general hospital should wear comfortable, feet-friendly footwear. I see too many female registrars wearing high heels.

(I seem to remember some piece of research that said the average general nurse on a hospital ward walks 10 or 15 miles a day at work.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Corinthcanal

When I started my current job my boss told me she always wore a skirt and would expect me to do the same. I hadn't worn a skirt in 8 years before the interview. I only found out after that I wouldn't have got the job if I wasn't wearing a skirt at the interview. The only reason I was wearing a skirt was because I called around to my sister on the way and my niece vomited on my trousers. There was no time to do anything but borrow something to wear from my sister. The only thing that even approximated to fitting me was a skirt suit. I felt very self conscious on my way to the interview and thought everybody was staring at me. It took me ages to get used to wearing skirts but now I go weeks without wearing trousers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Maybe your friend should simply develop an allergy to a common component of all make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Sounds like your friend just doesn't look professional and polished. I'd say that's what was intended to be conveyed. Asking someone to do themselves up a bit and put forward the professional appearance required by your employer isn't discrimination - anything but - it's holding everyone to the same standards, regardless of sexual orientation. She's perfectly entitled to dress as she pleases, wear as much or little makeup as she wants and have her hair any style or colour she wants if she's willing to work for herself. Otherwise she has to toe the line and look like a professional, just like everyone else.

EDIT: sorry I forgot to add the bit I was going to say. I seriously doubt that anyone will care about whether your friend wears makeup or not if she is otherwise well groomed and professionally turned out.

Advertisement