Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a car breakers yard?

• 10-09-2014 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi, can anyone recommend a car breakers yard in Limerick or surrounding area? I need a new wing mirror for a 09 VW Passat as some ape decided to drift onto my side of the road this morning out in Ballyneety and didn't have the courtesy to stop! Anyway, I've tried Reardons in Ballyneety and Autobreak in Ballysheedy but no luck, any ideas or phone numbers?
    Thanks...

Comments

Bob Sweeney in castleconnell. He knows how to charge though. 061377496

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Haven't used em, but Donie Comerford's out Nenagh way is worth a shot, I've heard they have good stock. dcautospares dot ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Have a search on partfinder.ie.
    you can also put in a request there and any breaker who has one should get back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try German Auto Dismantlers down by Musgrave Cash n Carry on Park Road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

It happened to me last year and I couldn't find one locally. I ended up getting one online from wing mirror man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

angeldaisy wrote: »
    It happened to me last year and I couldn't find one locally. I ended up getting one online from wing mirror man.
    I guess he's related to Window Regulator Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Most of the salvage yards just crush and recycle the cars. You might be lucky and find one with a car that has just come in and they can take the part off it but it won't happen very often. Your best bet is to try ebay. I had to replace the glass in my wing mirrors a couple of times and ebay had exactly what I needed.

db wrote: »
    Most of the salvage yards just crush and recycle the cars. You might be lucky and find one with a car that has just come in and they can take the part off it but it won't happen very often. Your best bet is to try ebay. I had to replace the glass in my wing mirrors a couple of times and ebay had exactly what I needed.

All the ones named above are breakers who have old cars for breaking. They're crushed and recycled when parts of any value are stripped

db wrote: »

There is big business in second hand car parts, unless the car is really old and there is no demand for the parts from it then they certainly don't just crush them. They strip out the valuable bits and sell them, even the metal shell is worth it's weight in money. That model Passat is very popular on the roads so there will be plenty of demand for used parts from crashed ones.

OP, here are some links worth checking out:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/vw-passat-parts-for-sale-2006-tdi/7558986

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/2008-vw-passat-for-parts-only/6660418

http://cars.donedeal.ie/carparts-for-sale/breaking-passat-2007-2-0-tdi/6838964

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭clint_eastman

Thanks all, I tried all the local guys recommended above but had no luck, used the partfinder website and tracked one down in Donegal so its on its way to me, cheers for all the advice.

• Advertisement

Glad you got sorted.

Advertisement