Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Servicing

Options
  • 10-09-2014 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there, can someone please recommend a reputable mechanic/garage for a car service in the Balbriggan area please? NCT coming up and want to make sure she's in proper order.

THank you
    Nemo!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

take a run to Lusk, beside the train station, neary motors, I travel from waterford and I satisfied with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

AC Autos in Balbriggan, I found them through Boards, have used them several times, v. good and reliable. They have a Facebook page with details

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

My advice is just NCT it. They'll tell you exactly what it needs and saves you from possibly spending money on work you don't need.

Just give the car a good long (hard) drive on the way to the centre to burn off any deposits (motorway speed for 20 mins should do it)

Pre NCT checks are a waste of money. This is only my opinion!!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

I agree. Most places doing a Pre NCT check will only do the basics such as check lights, oil, wheel alignment, tyres and that the wipers are in good order. They won't have the facility to check emissions and can only do a visual inspection of brakes, catalytic converter. They do catch a few of the minor things that you take for granted, but there is no guarantee that the car will pass NCT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My advice is just NCT it. They'll tell you exactly what it needs and saves you from possibly spending money on work you don't need.

Just give the car a good long (hard) drive on the way to the centre to burn off any deposits (motorway speed for 20 mins should do it)

Agree also, my mechanic scoffs at the idea, just book it in and get an idea of what needs to be done :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

woppi wrote: »
    I agree. Most places doing a Pre NCT check will only do the basics such as check lights, oil, wheel alignment, tyres and that the wipers are in good order. They won't have the facility to check emissions and can only do a visual inspection of brakes, catalytic converter. They do catch a few of the minor things that you take for granted, but there is no guarantee that the car will pass NCT.
    Only do the basics, they will more than likely do plenty even things that don't need doing and charge well for it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

100% agree, just wanted to add that the NCT should have no bearing on the maintenance shcedule of your car, be it time or mileage based. It should be serviced on schedule, not because the NCT is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Slightly off topic but you're right to have your vehicle serviced for an NCT. You should always have your vehicle serviced anyway to ensure that she is in good working order and that there are no safety issues. Also, if you're due a Timing Belt change on the likes of a TDI you'll be asked to disclaim the NCTS should any issues arise when they rev her. Make sure your car is in order by ensuring it is fully serviced.

Pre NCT checks however as said above are a waste of time.

I've been using LN motors in Swords recently and I find them quite good. In saying that, I'll probably find fault with them soon enough. Haven't settled with a mechanic in a long time.

I'm weird like that :)

Advertisement