Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best route from Limerick to Avoca in Co Wicklow

• 10-09-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

I will be driving up today from Limerick to Avoca, any ideas on the best route from Limerick to Avoca in Co Wicklow? Via Dublin, with all the traffic, or through the likes of Carlow or Kilkenny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

If you can avoid peak traffic times, go the main roads rather than cross country.
    Take a break somewhere and take it easy. Nothing worse than tearing your hair out behind a convoy of 20 cars on a cattletrack when you need to get somewhere (N20 style).
    The N11 has a poor reputation (or maybe I imagined that) but still better than the N20 in my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭finbarrk

AA Routefinder suggests that the motorway is the best way. about 3 hours it says.
    http://www.theaa.ie/routes/#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭con___manx1

If you can avoid peak traffic times, go the main roads rather than cross country.
    Take a break somewhere and take it easy. Nothing worse than tearing your hair out behind a convoy of 20 cars on a cattletrack when you need to get somewhere (N20 style).
    The N11 has a poor reputation (or maybe I imagined that) but still better than the N20 in my experience.

There is major road works going on the n11 at the moment .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

As long as you avoid the M50/N11 at rush hour, you'll have no delays on the motorway. The backroads around Avoca are all very pretty, but if you get stuck behind someone you're goosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

2 hours 44 minutes going either Newbridge - Kilcullen - Glendalouogh or Portlaoise - Carlow according to Google maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

ok thanks guys.
    I was initially planning on leaving Limerick around 3pm and going via Dublin but that would mean hitting rush hour so I think I will leaeve now and go via DUblin so hopefully will miss the worst of the traffic around DUblin;
    cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

There is major road works going on the n11 at the moment .
    Ugh, that changes things so. Been a while since I did that trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Major road works at Newland's Cross in Dublin too, major delays there daily.

Advertisement